Track & Trace advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunflower46

Reaction score
Please could someone tell me whether a salon has to have a QR code by law , or can we carry on taking details manually as we have been doing since the start. Thank you

I'm not getting the QR reader, most of my clients are not tech savvy, pen and paper is perfectly acceptable.

Thank you, that's what I thought 😊

Hi,
It is my understanding that all businesses are required to display a QR code from Thursday 24th Sep but it is down the the client as to whether or not they decide to use the app and check-in. I applied for mine this morning and it takes minutes to get the code Create a coronavirus NHS QR code for your venue. I'll display my code at the entrance for those that wish to check in with the app, although, I keep a manual record as well as part of the consultation process anyway :)

Hi,
It is my understanding that all businesses are required to display a QR code from Thursday 24th Sep but it is down the the client as to whether or not they decide to use the app and check-in. I applied for mine this morning and it takes minutes to get the code Create a coronavirus NHS QR code for your venue. I'll display my code at the entrance for those that wish to check in with the app, although, I keep a manual record as well as part of the consultation process anyway :)
Likewise. I got mine yesterday for anyone wanting to check in. Most of mine aren't tech savvy but the younger ones are more likely to use it.

BABTAC have said "If you are in England or Wales you need to display a QR poster". I guess "need" means it's a legal requirement. We will ask people to scan it themselves or we will scan it on their behalf if they aren't tech savvy. Although hopefully it will be a straightforward process for us and the clients.

BABTAC have said "If you are in England or Wales you need to display a QR poster". I guess "need" means it's a legal requirement. We will ask people to scan it themselves or we will scan it on their behalf if they aren't tech savvy. Although hopefully it will be a straightforward process for us and the clients.

Ive just been reading the NHs website specifically for this, I can't see any legal requirement, it uses words like 'should' not 'must' - it also says for those clients/customers who can't use the system, alternative records should still he held, I'm sticking to manual, then I know for sure it's complete and up to date.

I also tried to use the QR in The Harvester the other day which failed spectacularly.

In England, using QR codes will help businesses meet the new legal requirement to record the contact details of customers, visitors and staff on their premises.
An alternative check-in method must be maintained to collect the contact details of those who don’t have the app, for example a handwritten register

Both of the above are from this page - Businesses urged to prepare for NHS COVID-19 app

So much conflicting info on whether it’s mandatory or not although I did come across this
1600706028954.jpeg

1600706068041.jpeg

It’s just annoying when you read one thing then find something completely different looks like a lot of us on here are having the same problem, to be honest I didn’t want to have to do it if I don’t have to as most of my clients are also not tech savvy so will still be sticking with good old *sanitizied* pen and paper 😊

It’s just annoying when you read one thing then find something completely different looks like a lot of us on here are having the same problem, to be honest I didn’t want to have to do it if I don’t have to as most of my clients are also not tech savvy so will still be sticking with good old *sanitizied* pen and paper 😊

(My opinion) it's NHS Test & Trace, not Government mandated. It says on the NHS website its designed to assist T&T collect information. Considering the shower of shit the first version of T&T was/is I have absolutely no faith in it. I do however have faith in my process which can and will provide any and all necessary information required should I find myself in the unfortunate position of being infected/in contact with an infected person.

Unless my insurance company contact me saying I have to use it, I will continue as currently doing. They contacted me to pass on Industry Guidelines and Government Covid -19 Compliance requirements, I would expect the same should the App become mandatory.

I wish my insurance would of contacted me with some kinda help 😩🤣 oh I totally agree with u trinity, my problem is my salon is located within a bigger building with other businesses and our local council have popped in quite w few times, my I add they are very happy with how my salon is currently being operated but think they may have grumbled over other locations On site which are nothing to do with my business but I think I’m now worried that the slightest thing I may do wrong will be jumped on straight away e.g not displaying a huge qr code on my door that non of my clients are going to use

I wish my insurance would of contacted me with some kinda help 😩🤣 oh I totally agree with u trinity, my problem is my salon is located within a bigger building with other businesses and our local council have popped in quite w few times, my I add they are very happy with how my salon is currently being operated but think they may have grumbled over other locations On site which are nothing to do with my business but I think I’m now worried that the slightest thing I may do wrong will be jumped on straight away e.g not displaying a huge qr code on my door that non of my clients are going to use

I think if I were in your position I'd get a QR code, display it as they advise, but continue with your paper version. If anyone is aware of the system and wants to use it, it's there and they can but it's not your first line of 'protection'.

Visits from the Council are stressful enough, eliminate any reason for them to come back repeatedly*

I'm going to monitor it when it starts on 24th, I'm not expecting much and will review my decision as we go forward. I can jump on the bandwagon when/if see value.

*-wish our Council were as vigilant, one of our local barbers are not using any PPE, no Covid-19 precautions whatsoever and have been reported repeatedly. The cheeky sods are poaching clients who are turned away from a neighbouring Barbers who are following the rules and who were turning away random 'drop in's and only taking appointments.

Last edited:
My QR code states the name of my salon in small writing under the code. I am a home based salon.
When you put your details in for the code it asks for your name, business name and your business address so I think the QR code will be very specific to your clients entering your treatment area.

That's so wrong, taking business away from salons that are trying to do the right thing & follow the rules 😡

In the close contact guide that has been recently issued this is a requirement for every business to display it from the 24th September. It's really simple to generate a qr code poster plus they even have a privacy notice in the appendix for gdpr. Its a check in port of call for those that use a smartphone. in sideline to this it is recommended to still have whatever system digital or paperless for those that do not have it. But this poster is a must as it was required from law when the new legislation came in, please ensure you have it ready as you do not want to get fined £1000 for failure to comply. here are some helpful links; from the gov & The national hair and beauty federation-great info on the action cards if you were not aware of protocols of a outbreak. hths xoxo

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/maintai...nd-trace#displaying-an-official-nhs-qr-poster
https://www.nhbf.co.uk/news-and-blogs/blog/back-to-business-with-the-nhbf-test-and-trace-faqs/

Hi, I've just applied for the QR code, it took 2 minutes to do and receive it via email. I'm home based with a dedicated treatment room and will have it on display. I will continue to keep a paper record as I have done since I re-opened. I honestly can't see many clients scanning it. I live on a large estate and many clients are walking distance and don't even bring their phones with them. This is probably a stupid question, but if I laminate the QR poster will it cause a problem with scanning it?

Hi, I've just applied for the QR code, it took 2 minutes to do and receive it via email. I'm home based with a dedicated treatment room and will have it on display. I will continue to keep a paper record as I have done since I re-opened. I honestly can't see many clients scanning it. I live on a large estate and many clients are walking distance and don't even bring their phones with them. This is probably a stupid question, but if I laminate the QR poster will it cause a problem with scanning it?
They have a do's and dont on the pdf copy in the bottom of your email. It says to not laminate or use glossy paper. I thought about doing the same thing but i think it changes the qr code ever so slightly! hths xoxo

I am the same working from a home with a dedicated treatment room. I will print out the poster but I will still be using my own Covid forms, as allot of my clients are elderly and dont know how to answer their phone let alone have an app on it, or its so basic they may not have apps for their types of phones.

I would test the poster out under the laminate before you seal it in.

Today I have been feeling very anxious and worrying about business as it seems to have gone quiet yet again.
I have had one client today call as she said she is just too worried about coming in for anymore treatments at the moment due to her age, I have tried re assuring her as she has been in three times since re opening, so she knows what procedures I have put in place.

I will be calling her later on this evening to see if she would want me to shorten the treatment as maybe then that will help?

Doesn't help more mums at home have done cheap online courses and now started up working as a beauty therapist, under cutting my prices.

I use good quality products like O.P.I, Germaine de Capuccini skin care.

I am trying to remain positive and will be watching the news at 8pm tonight.
Hopefully this time we won't be told to close, as financially I will not be able to survive.
Any tips on how to try and entice more people in especially for facials as that has gone dead, I have done a September and October special express facial for only £25.00
Unfortunately I can't do massage at the moment due to frozen shoulder operation few weeks ago.

Hope you are all safe and well Julia xx

I am the same working from a home with a dedicated treatment room. I will print out the poster but I will still be using my own Covid forms, as allot of my clients are elderly and dont know how to answer their phone let alone have an app on it, or its so basic they may not have apps for their types of phones.

I would test the poster out under the laminate before you seal it in.

Today I have been feeling very anxious and worrying about business as it seems to have gone quiet yet again.
I have had one client today call as she said she is just too worried about coming in for anymore treatments at the moment due to her age, I have tried re assuring her as she has been in three times since re opening, so she knows what procedures I have put in place.

I will be calling her later on this evening to see if she would want me to shorten the treatment as maybe then that will help?

Doesn't help more mums at home have done cheap online courses and now started up working as a beauty therapist, under cutting my prices.

I use good quality products like O.P.I, Germaine de Capuccini skin care.

I am trying to remain positive and will be watching the news at 8pm tonight.
Hopefully this time we won't be told to close, as financially I will not be able to survive.
Any tips on how to try and entice more people in especially for facials as that has gone dead, I have done a September and October special express facial for only £25.00
Unfortunately I can't do massage at the moment due to frozen shoulder operation few weeks ago.

Hope you are all safe and well Julia xx
Oh I feel for you. But, you're not on your own. I've only had this morning in work and the two salons I pass on the way home from work, near me, were shut (one was always VERY busy). Plus a guy who works on his own like me was sat in one of his chairs on his own, in another salon I pass. I have my regulars back but a lot are elderly. A couple of them passed away whilst I was shut sadly. They won't be around forever. That's my worry. I need to get more my age in (almost 50 🙈). But I love my old ones, love listening to them and having a laugh. They're still young at heart 💚 It's uncertain times. It's nice we have a place where we can help each other and put each others minds at ease. I'm sure your clients will be back, it seems every announcement scares everyone again. Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back