Trade test Views please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulnails1

Reaction score
Hi all
Would like your advice please, i had an interview with local salon and then asked to do a trade test couple days later but on a system ive never used before.
The girl i had to do the nails on was the salons own nail tech i asked her if she would talk me throu the products and she did, but spoke to me like a 2yr old and that id never seen them before (i hadnt)
I was told not to bring my own stuff as wouldnt need it, the girl gave me a nail file that i would never dream of using on a natural nail to file and she told me she specifically opened it for me and that there was nothing else. So i cracked on with it.
I was disappointed with the outcome as never used the system before and had 1min to literally practice with the acrylic. The girl said they were fine and she would be happy with them.
Next day i got an email not even a call to say that i didnt get it, due to not knowing the system (which they knew) and that the girl had slagged off me using the nail file (i asked for a different one) she then said i didnt have a clue about the primers and other products ( well no id never used them before and asked her to explain them to me so i could better do the job)
Feel really annoyed with this girl and i did send an email back explaining my view but have heard nothing. The manageress was not around on the trade test due to children commitments.
Ive just moved to the area and just want to move away again now.
(we only here due to a military move throu my hubby)
Ive been doing nails since 2006 and have added biosculpture last year so i was doing really well until moved and now this.

my hubby says its the girl and her fault but the manageress wont see this as she worked there few years.

Sorry its so long but what does everyone else think??????

Without knowing all the details, is it possible that the nail tech doesn't want the competition for clients in the salon?

Either way, I should cut your losses and take it as a lesson learned. Any salon that will expect you to produce decent work when you don't know a particular system isn't worth working for.

Maybe this is a chance for you to set up on your own at home or mobile?

Without knowing all the details, is it possible that the nail tech doesn't want the competition for clients in the salon?

Either way, I should cut your losses and take it as a lesson learned. Any salon that will expect you to produce decent work when you don't know a particular system isn't worth working for.

Maybe this is a chance for you to set up on your own at home or mobile?

Agree with SJK. Maybe there were other things at play too - perhaps the therapist knew someone else that was going for the job?

I think you were right to respond but unfortunately there's nothing more that you can do. Anyway, if that was the girl's attitude I wouldn't want to be working alongside her! Good luck with your job hunting and don't let this experience put you off x

First thing I thought too, set up your own at home or mobile.

Sending big mental HUGZ :D

It's only one place babes and what you need to do Is use the feeling you have of wishing you haddent moved , and feeling bad and make it in to positive energy !
Don't get mad get even :)

Trade tests must be horrid, I couldn't do one! I fall apart in spot light lol even in classes! It must have been difficult not knowing the products or having your equipment , who's brush did you use?
Next time I'd insist on your own produtcts that you know, your own sanitized files of grits of your choosing and tips ect , if there's a prob dont feel scared to tell them about the brand you use and that you would consider converting to there's if you get the job ect ,

You prob don't want to work there now but if u did call manager ask for 2nd trade test with your products ! & wipe smile off the other techs face with a cracking set of nails xxx

I had a similar problem at a trade test, It was a upmarket nail bar in a well known department store. My mother was my model and at first she didn't even want to go in for me as she though the place was too posh for her and that they'd be looking at her strange thinking she really didn't belong their ( bless! LOL) but when we went in we both got a bit of a shock!

The first thing she said to me was that the place was flithy and it was !!! She was more nervous than i was going in there so it really shocked me, the counters were grubby and there were left over nail wipes and other pretty disgusting things just left lying around , the bins were overflowing etc. The nail file she gave me had nail dust all over it and the first acrylic brush she gave me was unusable and it was completely clogged with hardened acrylic :eek: i honestly couldn't believe my eyes , but as it was my first ever interview for nails i said i'd give it my best shot...

Now to be honest the nails were far from my best but the 2nd brush she gave me wasn't a whole pile better than the first and it was a different system that what i was used to having said i was so dissappointed when i didn't get the job even though i know i wouldn't have enjoyed working there ...

crazy but true , so i know how you feel but you better off in the long run really :D chalk it down to a bit of experience if nothing else

I think there are 2 things to take away from this.

Insist on only using your own products during a test. You will be most comfortable with your own equipment and able to produce the best result. You want to prove to them how good your work is. Then if you get the job you can pick up their system.

Only do the test when the person hiring is there, otherwise it could be a waste of time.

But I think it's great you didn't get this job, the girl sounds horrible and I'm sure you would have had a nightmare working with her. Would she had made your life hell if her clients prefer your work? Who knows.

I think it's best to put this behind you and focus on the future. Maybe you'll have a more successful shop than theirs one day! x

Just think at least you got to the interview stage/trade test that they were willing to consider you!

Dont be negative on yourself just dust it off your shoulder and carry on. I think if you've done biosculpture or use a equally good system. They will be queuing up to see you!

Just to be constructive i would have noted to the owner as feedback that you felt uneasy over the girls behaviour and that your more comfortable using a well known brand that was easy to work with. That you've appreciated the trade test but had also leant of the members of her work force that you cant always learn from a sabotaging patronising nail tech different systems in the space of 1min. Think this kinda way to conduct interviews is awful, without the knowledge of the owner that would hire you on your ability!

Chin up missy! xoxo

Put it down to a bad experience and move on. You wouldn't seriously really want to work for people like that even if they offered you the job do you?? NOoooooooooooo!

Latest posts

Back