Trade testing self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickysnails200

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm hoping to open my own salon this year and I'm just in the planning stage just now.
I want to rent out spaces in the salon( chairs, nail desk, beauty room) and was wondering if you're allowed to trade test self employed people before renting them the space? I've been googling like mad and can't find anything on whether or not it's okay. Sorry if it's a stupid question
Thanks in advance xx

My instinct says that you wouldn't because they will be self employed.
What you can check though is:
Proof of qualification and
That they have insurance.

Perhaps check client reviews somehow too?

In your rental agreement you could specify about quals and insurance (hence why you can ask to see them!)

As a landlord, you don’t have to rent space to the first person that turns up. So, yes, definitely trade test. I’d also conduct detailed interviews.
It’s part of the process for determining suitability as you need to know that you will get on well, that they share a similar work ethic to you and that the quality of their work won’t reflect badly on your salon.

Otherwise, you may as well pick a random name from a hat! :confused:

I agree you deffo can trade test it shouldn’t be an issue if they want the position and they are competent in what they do. Also good to look at work on Mb a social media site where they worked previously. Even though they are self employed you don’t want anyone coming in. It’s your reputation at end of day. Things will be a lot easier in the long run knowing you have offered the position to someone that you have trade tested

Thank you so much! I thought you'd be able to but wanted to make sure I wouldn't want to blur the lines between self employed and employed. I was worried that if you couldn't trade test how would you know if someone is good or not. Thank you

I would definitely trade test, thoroughly. As long as you ensure that their contract is very clear about their self employed status, I have noticed that many salons simply use this method to get out of paying PAYE and holiday pay etc to therapists that are actually working under employee conditions.

Latest posts

Back