Trainee mobile technician advice needed!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailditbyamy

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently training to be a nail tech though open study college. I am doing the Nail Technician Level 3 Course with Practical Days.
I am quite confident in my ability and a firm believer in learning through practice and refining my skills. Backed up with the all important knowledge.

My question to you all is this, I am hoping to be a mobile nail tech as I have a young family at home and what to fit my working hours around my childcare. Currently I am working part time as a nursery nurse and training on my days off and evenings...am I able to practice on clients (family and friends mostly) independently as long as I have the relevant insurance and should I be charging then (at a discounted rate). My kit at the moment is small and you'll all know how expensive it can be to grow a independent business from home so I feel I need to charge a small fee to cover my costs and travel...

How have any other mobile technicians started up? Do you have any pointers or good advice to help me start out?

Thanks so much

Amy

As long as you are insured then go ahead and work on real people, there is no practice like real fingers and hands for learning.

You should absolutely be charging for your products as the very least

You should have been shown how to calculate your 'cost per service' of products so that's your starting point.

As long as you are insured then go ahead and work on real people, there is no practice like real fingers and hands for learning.

You should absolutely be charging for your products as the very least

You should have been shown how to calculate your 'cost per service' of products so that's your starting point.

Thanks for your speedy reply! I'll look into my cost per service and take it from there!
Thanks again x

Hi!! I’m a bit of a newbie too, I’ve decided to charge £12 discounted rate for the first 5 people (upping it to £18 after the 5 people). Then this way it gives me more practice while people are still aware they’re being practiced on and it gives me the chance to build up pictures of nails I’ve done.

I’m still a bit confused on wether or not to use cuticle nippers though as I’ve seen mixed opinions on using them on clients :)

Latest posts

Back