Trainee nail tech - advice needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWS

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hoping for some advice! I’m currently training for a VTCT in Nail Technology. I want to buy a lamp and gel polishes so that I can practise at home. I’m torn between buying a cheap lamp and polishes for practising with. Or just going straight for a better lamp and quality polishes that I can use when I‘m qualified and taking clients. What did everybody else do when training? Also, does anyone have suggestions for polishes? Premier Gels have been recommended as a starting point however I don’t know which lamp is compatible with them. The website states a 48 watt lamp? I’ve tried looking online for info but am more confused now than when I started, so much info out there!

Don't waste money on cheap stuff, each gel polish behaves differently and needs applying differently. Once you're qualified and have some experience under uiur belt changing brands is easier but when training consistency is key. So, either stick with your college brand for practising, or start investing in your chosen brand for your business long term.

With regard to a brand, if thry haven't given a specific lamp I'd avoid them. Please read the Pinned Post at the top of the Nails Forum about lamp suitability

Thanks for your reply. That’s good advice, I do appreciate it.

Totally agree with Trinity's advice above.

Out of interest, has your college tutor explained the importance of using the correct lamp? (As per the pinned post Trinity mentioned above)

In fairness we’ve only done one quick gel manicure before Christmas. We haven’t actually started that module yet, I’m just itching to get going. Thanks for the advice, I’ve decided to wait and get as much practise in at college before investing in any of my own equipment. Hoping to start a small business and want to get it right. Thanks again!

In fairness we’ve only done one quick gel manicure before Christmas. We haven’t actually started that module yet, I’m just itching to get going. Thanks for the advice, I’ve decided to wait and get as much practise in at college before investing in any of my own equipment. Hoping to start a small business and want to get it right. Thanks again!

Good idea :)

Latest posts

Back