Trainee nail tech help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelvickyplum

Reaction score
How do i overcome the stigma of being a trainee??

Feeling a tad disheartend today i have new clients trying to take the micky alot of the time as they know im training and then people asking about booking and then when they realise im training dont want to book due to bad experiences with i may add experienced nail technicians that have been in the business for years!!.
I know what i am doing and not to blow my own trumpet i am quite good even though i am just starting i just have a real love and passion for it and its the first job i have ever loved doing!!

Every customer i have worked on has been more than pleased with what i have done and i have been back to a few clients 2 times in the last month and they are rebooking so i must be doing something right.

I had a client yesterday evening that had been to nail tech that has been in the business years now and this poor girl had what resembled spades on her nails they had bubbles in which i have not yet seen in acrylics ever and they didnt fit properly!! She said that they hurt when she had them as they were pulling on her natural nail but that had passed i reshaped infilled and painted them and she loved them once i had done them and even booked in for a new set in 2 weeks to try a different system.

Then another potential client contacted me today and noticed i am training and said no in the end as she had a set done a few months back and they lifted after 48 hours!! I have not had this issue yet but how do i build a client base with all that negativity!! Any advice would be much appreciated im feeling like im not going to be able to to make a proper go of it as i am carrying this stigma with me through no fault of my own!! X
Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Hi Rachel,

Do you work for yourself or for someone else that states you are a trainee?Then can advise you further

And can i just say gently that it may be a good idea to edit your post and put in paragraphs

You will maybe get more replies then as very difficult to read a long post without them :)
x

Please don't get too disheartened Hun.

The fact the people you HAVE done are coming straight back speaks volumes.

Once word gets out there that you're fab - you'll be flying. Stick with it and I'm sure you client base will grow and grow. As if you can take some piccies of your work and post on Facebook etc or if you work in a salon who has a website, see if they would pop some on there x x

Sorry about the looong post im on my mobile and didnt realise! 😯

I am mobile and working for myself. It states it clearly on my profile that i am training but its over coming the stigma as people have had bad experiences with other trainees or newly qualifieds.

I have been taking pics and posting them with my adverts and on my page for everyone to see. The girl looked at a pic and loved em as soon as she saw i was training she then changed her mind!

Xxx

Not sure if you would think about reducing your price stating you have just qualified. This way they may be happy to come along if they think they are getting a bargain...so to speak:)) if not dont worry, word will get out that you are good, and people will start to come to see you:) good luck

Why not put a brief post on your fb or website explaining that being newly qualified means you are fully upto date with latest methods, trends and safety to help people realise they can expect a good service. X

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

My prices are reduced right down atm due to me training i cant take them any lower without being at a loss.

The post idea is good i will try that as well.

Thanks you muchly ladies xxx

Hi Rachel,

First bless you for putting in the paragraphs . makes it much easier to read now :)

Ok as you are working for yourself you have no obligation at all to tell people that you are only just qualified . Why should you !

If your work is good then it should speak for itself . Some people can be really cruel so if I was you just don't tell people when you qualified - Its irrelevant

When I first started many moons ago I never told anyone . I just made sure that when I took on my first paying client that my nails where up to scratch

DONT say that it is a special price because you have just qualified - say something like -Special for August £10 off full set ect ect

xx

That is fabulous advice thank you soo much. I have taken this on board now and removed the post on my page about training etc and put one on that says about up to date systems etc.

My posts on the for sale or swap sites just state introductory prices and nothing further other than some of the prices

Thank you xxx

Latest posts

Back