Trainee nail tech in need of feedback

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc89

Reaction score
Hi guys, first thread on here iv been a member for a little while and may I say what a wealth of information this forum has been ! So I started my level 3 nail tech course in mid October and it’s currently on zoom due to the new lockdown restrictions. I hate pestering my teacher as I know she’s up the wall at the moment. I had collected some photos from last 2 months that I wanted to show her and ask her opinion on she has seen a few and gave me a few pointers but I wanted to see if I could gain some insight from so other active professional techs. I know they don’t look right in the shaping or application and it’s frustrating me incredibly. I use the nsi attraction system and I can never seem to get the nails on completely smooth or create a nice apex, I also have trouble shaping round cuticle. Could anyone give me any pointers. Also I have lifting with my gel nails. I do think I’m using a very cheap none-professional brand (beetles) so that could be part of the problem. I am currently trying to decide on a gel brand but it’s an absolute minefield. Here’s so pics any critique would be most welcome, thanks in advance. Xx 271267DB-E6CD-4D57-AFF3-F8BB433BE1E3.jpeg8A715E0D-1F78-430C-A49B-66B5AFD28CD9.jpegF2D69772-E4FB-410C-960D-8409D9B80318.jpeg61B60805-CA66-4D8C-A617-8EF30BBBCCEB.jpegFA96A014-6C69-4594-A6B3-0F66144700D1.jpeg271267DB-E6CD-4D57-AFF3-F8BB433BE1E3.jpegD092B117-0847-414D-B743-D5BC1F403C28.jpeg629ED849-D4E6-4BB5-BCD2-6FBC4806221D.jpeg

Starting off isn't easy with gels. Plus with the added stress of online you've done well so far. So be kind to yourself & keep going & you'll get there 💪

Your prep work needs to be improved. You need to completely remove the cuticle (the dead skin cells around the base of the nail), a cuticle pusher/or cuticle remover can be used. If using a cuticle remover substance ensure u completely remove it. Get client to wash her hands & acetone before applying border or gel base coat. If u have bits of dead skin cells under Yr application this will cause the gels to lift. Also if any area of gel is touching the proximal nail fold or side walls this will cause lifting Also. Checkout YouTube videos on nail prep

Also some of the proximal nail fold could be removed with a cuticle nippers ( if u were confident enough). If a clients nails/cuticle/proximal fold is badly maintained I would suggest a manicure.

This is a good video for different problems beginners may have. I know it's acrylic but good to watch

This one is for gel nail application

Your application will get better with practice just watch plenty of tutorials & keep practicing & you'll get there. At the moment as u said they are quite bumpy so with this u need to file the bumpiness away, without leaving the nails too thin & before you apply gel colors. As u gain more experience you will need to file less.

Hope this helps. Good luck with Yr new adventure & we'll done for looking for help & posting Yr pic 😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-034208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-034208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210113-034426_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-034426_Samsung Internet.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 37
Starting off isn't easy with gels. Plus with the added stress of online you've done well so far. So be kind to yourself & keep going & you'll get there 💪

Your prep work needs to be improved. You need to completely remove the cuticle (the dead skin cells around the base of the nail), a cuticle pusher/or cuticle remover can be used. If using a cuticle remover substance ensure u completely remove it. Get client to wash her hands & acetone before applying border or gel base coat. If u have bits of dead skin cells under Yr application this will cause the gels to lift. Also if any area of gel is touching the proximal nail fold or side walls this will cause lifting Also. Checkout YouTube videos on nail prep

Also some of the proximal nail fold could be removed with a cuticle nippers ( if u were confident enough). If a clients nails/cuticle/proximal fold is badly maintained I would suggest a manicure.

This is a good video for different problems beginners may have. I know it's acrylic but good to watch

This one is for gel nail application

Your application will get better with practice just watch plenty of tutorials & keep practicing & you'll get there. At the moment as u said they are quite bumpy so with this u need to file the bumpiness away, without leaving the nails too thin & before you apply gel colors. As u gain more experience you will need to file less.

Hope this helps. Good luck with Yr new adventure & we'll done for looking for help & posting Yr pic 😀

Thank you so much for taking time out to have a look and reply. I do have some cuticle remover that I can use and I have some nippers. I just get worried about hurting people and sometimes when I push the cuticle back it looks like this weird roll of skin if that makes sense and I darent clip it incase I cut them! I suppose I will just have to keep practising. Really struggling practising acrylics at the moment as my partner cannot stand the smell and is a real drama queen and insists it’s choking him and getting on his chest 🙄 even though I’m sat next to an open window actually freezing myself to keep the smell to a minimum. At this rate I’m going to have sit in the shed to have some peace and quiet to do them 😂 thank you again for your pointers xx

Hey hun I’m a new nail tech as well and struggling with the same concerns. As far as the cuticles, I’ve been thinking of trying one of the round “ball” shaped bits on cuticles. Supposedly they don’t hurt at all. I’ve been watching videos on Russian manicures and Some use those instead of nippers. Maybe some super sweet folks on here could suggest an air vac (do dust collection systems help with odor?). Hang in there, some day we’ll look back and be amazed at how far we’ve come 😊

Don’t hate pestering your teacher, it’s their job to guide you and you must always ask for the guidance that’s on your mind.

Are you sculpting these or using another method?

Hey.. kinda new myself, and yeah, gels can be a stinker! Be patient with yourself. I've found a good self leveling gel is magic... and cuts file time down!

Acrylics... the thing I've found that helps a lot with smoothing is a good light. Look at the nail from all angles and watch how the light reflects, which should give you a good idea of where to file.

Please, please don't cut skin!! A good cuticle oil over time will reduce the appearance, and make for happy hands! As a former chronic nail biter whose epinicium were torn, and heavy and just gross... cuticle oil worked wonders! A good moisturizing hand lotion also helps, especially now with all the handwriting and hand sanitizing!

Hope some of this helps! You got this!

Latest posts

Back