Trainee terminated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAX inc

Reaction score
Iv just spent 2 months training a newly qualified NVQ3 beauty girl to my standards , Iv just terminated her employment as not only were her skills not improving they were no way good enough to be used on my clients. She was taking the Micky using my products on herself when I wasn't there and when im paying her to work. She was lazy, unmotivated and unwilling to swap her day off if i needed her to. I'm totally disappointed in her and annoyed iv waisted time and lots of my products training her. Now she is entitled to holiday pay for the 8 weeks it's disgusting. iv lost hundreds of pounds to give a young person a chance of a job and im out of pocket. Never ever again.

Did you have a contract in place? In my contracts I say specifically that any training they have, if they leave within a certain time they have to pay me back for it...

I'm sorry you were bitten by a bad one. But they honestly aren't all that bad. Some people are worth taking a risk on!

Iv just spent 2 months training a newly qualified NVQ3 beauty girl to my standards , Iv just terminated her employment as not only were her skills not improving they were no way good enough to be used on my clients. She was taking the Micky using my products on herself when I wasn't there and when im paying her to work. She was lazy, unmotivated and unwilling to swap her day off if i needed her to. I'm totally disappointed in her and annoyed iv waisted time and lots of my products training her. Now she is entitled to holiday pay for the 8 weeks it's disgusting. iv lost hundreds of pounds to give a young person a chance of a job and im out of pocket. Never ever again.

Im sorry that you had such a bad experience.

Please don't lose faith in newly qualiffied people. I am one of those and would love to work in a salon and would try my hardest to become a long term member of reliable staff who is an asset to the persons business: it would be the least I could do for them in return for them giving me a chance and I'm sure there are lots of other newly qualified people who would say the same.

No matter what happens, I hope everything works out ok for you :)

I had a really bad experience today too. I feel like closing my beauty salon as it is far too difficult to find good therapists.

We have all had them, please don't beat yourself up.

Don't get me wrong, it is good to give newbies a start.

However, recently in my experience it has been a bit of a mare as both of mine were useless with no glimmer of potential after 6 weeks training. I tried a straight from college youngster and a maturer lady developing a new career but it didn't work out for me as they just wasted product again and again, not confident no matter how much I encouraged them and couldn't use the computer. One of them took 95 minutes to do a regular manicure, (she had an almost phobia about painting nails)! I was absolutely mortified but luckily the client was a family friend but I can't operate a business like that!

They weren't lazy per se but it was too stressful for me and I didn't take one on afterwards and the other knew she had no hope and left. I then found a great girl, she's wasn't perfect but after been shown the ropes she got it.

So no more newbies for me at the minute, maybe next term depending on what college they went to as I am finding that a factor as to what is being churned out and then licensed........

Last edited:
I'm staying on my own from now, id rather turn clients away knowing that the ones I can do leave totally happy. I don't even want to give her a reference as iv actually terminated her employment. She was useless and wound up all my other members of staff because she was a waist of space, she was turning my clients away saying we were full when we had a space because she didn't want to do the treatments, I'm thinking of billing her for unauthorised product use at least :( god help her next employer

Doesnt matter how bad they are, you just gotta suck it up. I had to call the police today over my one. Was awful. Can't go into any detail for obvious reasons.

The fact is that some people will never have "it". Just be pleased you cut your losses after just 8 weeks. Could have been much worse.

Doesnt matter how bad they are, you just gotta suck it up. I had to call the police today over my one. Was awful. Can't go into any detail for obvious reasons.

The fact is that some people will never have "it". Just be pleased you cut your losses after just 8 weeks. Could have been much worse.

Its very sad that any salon owner would have to resort to involving the police to deal with a colleague. Why do these people bother with our industry!? I was told I needed people skills etc when I did my training and would have jumped at the opp to work in a busy salon after I finished my level 3. These girls are a disgrace! X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

yikes it must have been bad dawn , hope you are ok xxx

Bit shaken up. Yes was awful. Some people have no idea whatsoever.

these examples of new therapists being described here makes me so sad :( ...it's confusing to think that so many people who take the mick are succeeding to get a foot in the door whilst there are plenty of newbies looking for work who would love to have the opportunity and give it their all.

One thing I do find interesting (and it's on a slightly unrelated note) is that as a newly qual'd therapist, I have been to 2 interviews where I feel that my newness has been taken advantage of (in one interview they wanted to take me on as self employed when the role was far more by definition employed and in another interview the bloke barely spoke to me and got me to do a "trade test" on a series of paying clients where he wasn't even watching me)...I'm mentioning these experiences of mine because I'm starting to wonder if newly trained therapists are both vulnerable to getting taken advantage of but also a potential gamble to employers who want to play fair. Hmmm, this has really got me thinking now in how i wonder if it's a case of it being hard for an employer and newbie therapist to be able to relate to each other in a way that will lend itself to success if that makes sense?

For what it's worth, having worked in other customer service based sectors, I have seen unexperienced people come and go: some are great at what they do and others leave a lot to be desired and I think the same can be said for the diversity of experienced people...I would like to think that someone's suitability for a job comes down more to who they are as people than how many years they've got under their belt.

Side note: I've no idea how you can be qualified and take 95 minutes to do a manicure. I wonder what was going on :eek:

I ticked someone off for booking out an hour anda half for a removal and reshellac. I got a mouthful and a load of defensive claptrap. I suggested that next time the client should be booked with me. I got told she has gone abroad for 6 months now!!

Yes it is really difficult to marry up the needs of an employer with the limitations of a newbie. Colleges lead them to think that the qualification is it. They have unrealistic expectations of firstly their value to a company, and secondly their skill level.

There are employers willing to invest in the right people (I'm one of them, andlooking forlevel 3 therapists), but we also have to contend with people wanting part time, or wanting to build mobile businesses whilst taking a wage. Is all rather difficult.

Am seriously considering closing my beauty department and selling off the building as I really cannot find therapists that I can keep.

Ladies I'm so sorry to hear you're having such an awful time.

My OH always says to me that people will sh*t on you so you can't let them take advantage and these are exactly examples of this.

Sadly everyone can't be willing. A lot of young girls these days (I'm allowed to say this I'm young lol) do not want to work and prefer to sponge off their parents. Gone are the days of respect and good work ethics. I think this was proven by the riots?

I really hope whatever happened, Persianista, it's sorted soon as. Hard working people like yourselves do not need this.

I was lucky enough to get a job with opportunities but this is only because I have invested a lot of time and money in myself and, quite frankly, have seen peanuts back so far so am looking forward to working my bum off and getting all that money back.

I wish you both the best of luck x

I ticked someone off for booking out an hour anda half for a removal and reshellac. I got a mouthful and a load of defensive claptrap. I suggested that next time the client should be booked with me. I got told she has gone abroad for 6 months now!!

Yes it is really difficult to marry up the needs of an employer with the limitations of a newbie. Colleges lead them to think that the qualification is it. They have unrealistic expectations of firstly their value to a company, and secondly their skill level.

There are employers willing to invest in the right people (I'm one of them, andlooking forlevel 3 therapists), but we also have to contend with people wanting part time, or wanting to build mobile businesses whilst taking a wage. Is all rather difficult.

Am seriously considering closing my beauty department and selling off the building as I really cannot find therapists that I can keep.

I agree with what you're saying here in the sense that marrying up an employer to the limitations of a newbie is a challenge...I couldn't have put that better myself.

I have learnt so far that what you need to do to pass an nvq assessment does not necessarily corrolate with what you need to do in employment...i suspect the jump from college to employment is a sizable one and in honesty it does make me nervous at times.

If I was mobile I'd do just that and if I was waged I would do just that. I am a peaceful creature and don't fancy putting myself in a situation where I might upset or offend...I would be more than happy, upon employment, to sign a contract to say that I would not work on people self employed...is there such a contract that allows employers to protect themselves in that respect? I'm sure if there was that people would honour it (I would!)

Don't give up on the beauty side of things...hmmm, I'm starting to ponder now as to how employers and newly qual'd people could best figure out if they are compatible in the long run. As a newly qual'd therapist I tend to go with my instincts as to whether I and the potential employer will be compatible, another thing I do is read the job description very carefully and ask myself if I feel I could be the best candidate for that role. For example, tother day I sent an application off straight away to somewhere that does a lot of dermalogica facials because that's what I love doing and feel confident in whereas if I see a job that is more focussed on a treatment that I'm less confident with, I sometimes don't apply because I want my first salon experience to be a positive one.

Hmmm, this is really thought provoking for me because it does make me appreciate why potential employers might be worried about taking on newbies but then again it's a shame how a few bad experiences for potential employers may put them off newbies altogether...tis so tricky :confused:

I really hope whatever happened, Persianista, it's sorted soon as. Hard working people like yourselves do not need this.

I was lucky enough to get a job with opportunities but this is only because I have invested a lot of time and money in myself and, quite frankly, have seen peanuts back so far so am looking forward to working my bum off and getting all that money back.

amen to that! it is my dream job to work in a salon and I would be so proud and excited to have that opportunity :) Maybe it's something to do with whether an employee is doing beauty with a passion or is just sort of cruising through it because they haven't decided what to do with their lives yet.

I think they have unrealistic expectations about the salon life. No salon is perfect, no salon is perfectly stocked at all times. No salon lets you sit about all day. No salon will let you keep all your takings.
My experiences with therapists are that they whine a lot. Either they are too busy, not busy enough, the wrong stock, too hot, too cold, hungry, want a drink, got a headache, feel poorly, the list goes on forever.

If you moan about your work, your salon and your boss, you talk your way out of a job, it's that simple.

If you look sour faced, whine, complain about the clients, and generally look like you don't want to be there, you will talk your way out of a job.

Does nobody tell youngsters that this is the world of work?

I think this has been mentioned before about the difference with most hairdressers is that they work and attend college at the same time, thus giving a more realistic idea of what real life and work is like.

Just look at the TV programme that are out now, a gaggle of programmes all about being young and sponging off mum, I've watched a few and if that is yuff of today, god help us. They have NO idea! No Concept of what real life is like.

When I was in full time college, part of our course was to work in the industry (catering college), I worked in a hotel kitchen, a private all girls boarding school, a pub kitchen, a bakery and a school canteen. I hated every minute of all the experiences but I buckled down, got on with it and tried to keep my head down and get through it.

Then again I started waitressing at 12 years old, so have always had a healthy respect for what work is and to do what I was told.

I look at my 12 year old who can barely make a piece of toast and he has NOOOOOO intention of working yet though I hope I continue to bring him up to have respect and to get on with people.

And Dawn, I am really sorry to hear about your troubles....its shocking.

Reading this makes me so sad, sad for all of you and sad for people like myself who may not get a chance because someone has screwed it up before us. I am new to the industry having worked in a completely different job before now which has given me plenty of additional skills, hard working being among them, my downfal is complete lack of experience in this sector, and sadly because of that it looks like I will have to go self employed to gain any experience!
And with you all having such terrible experiences with staff it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon!

That said, I'm a firm believer things happen for a reason, so for all you having to get rid of terrible staff it's probably because the right one is just around the corner and if you didn't have to get rid of 1 you couldn't have taken on the awesome one ;)

Colleges lead them to think that the qualification is it. They have unrealistic expectations of firstly their value to a company, and secondly their skill level.

I've noticed this when I take on work experience - they've just done their Level 2 and are on their level 3 and they come along almost telling me how to do my job, doesn't matter that I've been doing it for 13 odd years! There is definitely a massive gap between the way something is done in college and what a decent paying client expects as a treatment, and sadly some colleges don't explain to them that the qualification is just the start of training, not the end.

You have to wonder at how and why some of them chose to go for beauty sometimes. I interviewed a couple of girls yesterday, the first could NOT communicate. She was IMPOSSIBLE to talk too... I literally had to excuse myself from the interview room at one point so I could go find someone else to come in and get her talking. It was a doomed interview from the start. And I don't really think she has a chance in the beauty industry. She left college a year ago and nobody will "give her a chance" as her covering letter stated and I can totally see why. I'm all for taking on newly qualified people if they gel well within my company and my ethics, and I'm probably the most forgiving person there is in interview but that girl does not have a hope in this industry. Somebody, at some point, should have told her to look at something else like office work or retail.

The second girl was fantastic though and I really want her in my salon ASAP! LOL

Don't give up on beauty persianista... Maybe it might be worth looking at the way you advertise, the standard of CVs you generally accept to interview and what your recruitment criteria is. I've had fewer problems with beauty than I have with hair, and even then I haven't had that many problems. But then I have no cross off list - I go almost entirely on gut instinct so long as they are qualified to do the job I've advertised for. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong at all - I'm just saying something, somewhere is going wrong. It could be the process, the type of girls/boys you employ, the local education facilities, or even just the package you offer.... So re-evaluate and see if you can jiggle things up and make them work for you!

Latest posts

Back