Training advice Canada - unlicensed, uncertified

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justanailaddict

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a confession to make.
I am an unlicensed nail tech with no training whatsoever.
But please hear me out!

(Backstory...scroll to bottom for TLDR)
It all started as a hobby 2 or so years ago when I began to do my own gel nails at home..and strictly my own!! I'd always been a nail enthusiast and I was tired of having to redo my nail polish every 3 days and decided to have a go with some eBay gels. A couple months in, my current employer saw my nails and asked me about them. To cut to the chase, she decided to hire me ( I had already explained to her I have no license...etc)

Fast forward to today I am now working as a nail tech and I find myself really enjoying it! Fortunately (or unfortunately?) It's not required where I live to have the formal training in order to provide nail services. I can see myself working in this industry for the foreseeable future and would like to get some formal training done at last as some insurance if the policies here were ever to change...and also because I hate having to be dodgy when clients ask me where I did my training because of the bad rep of NSS's and bad techs. **I always make sure my tools and work surface are properly sanitized, use disposable files/buffers, and I spend hours and hours every night reading on new products and how to improve my techniques.**

Anyways I guess what I want to ask is if you guys have any advise on what next step I should take?? It sounds pretty bad but are there any quick and budget friendly ways to get certified?? I do eventually plan on investing more in my education but as of right now my budget is pretty tight..I've been looking into taking the online program at TAOND (the academy of nail design) as well..if anyone here has had experience with them and could share that it would be much appreciated!

TLDR: I have received no formal training and am working as a nail tech but would like to change that. Advise?

I would also like to add that my employer is a bit of a bully because I have no license (underpaying)

I've amended your thread title because you're really asking for advice on where to find good training in Canada. Otherwise, you're thread is likely to be ignored as being oddly provocative.

Hopefully, someone from your area will come along to suggest some options to you.

If you're enjoying it and want to carry on working as a nail tech, I'd start googling training options and just go for it. Presumably, once qualified, you could consider working self employed?

I've amended your thread title because you're really asking for advice on where to find good training in Canada. Otherwise, you're thread is likely to be ignored as being oddly provocative.

Hopefully, someone from your area will come along to suggest some options to you.

If you're enjoying it and want to carry on working as a nail tech, I'd start googling training options and just go for it. Presumably, once qualified, you could consider working self employed?

Ahh thank you for that
Yes so far from googling the option that fits my bill best seems to be with TAOND but I would like to see if anyone here at SG has had any experience with them that they'd be able to share (will having my training done with them be equivalent to going to beauty school?? Will beauty suppliers accept their diploma??)

Ahh thank you for that
Yes so far from googling the option that fits my bill best seems to be with TAOND but I would like to see if anyone here at SG has had any experience with them that they'd be able to share (will having my training done with them be equivalent to going to beauty school?? Will beauty suppliers accept their diploma??)

We don't have many Canadian techs on here anymore. The lovely VHunter, our wise Canadian, left a while ago. Her profile has been removed too but i think she was based in Ontario, anywhere near you?

We don't have many Canadian techs on here anymore. The lovely VHunter, our wise Canadian, left a while ago. Her profile has been removed too but i think she was based in Ontario, anywhere near you?

I'm on the West Coast- so that would be a no :(

I'm on the West Coast- so that would be a no :(

I cant think of any other Canada based techs on here so I suspect you're unlikely to get much assistance from us, sorry :confused:

I cant think of any other Canada based techs on here so I suspect you're unlikely to get much assistance from us, sorry :confused:

Bahh, it was worth a shot! Thank-you for your time though :)

I'll tag @Jen889

She's very knowledgable and Canadian too. :)

I have a friend that lives on the sunshine coast but I don't think she is on here her Facebook page is get nailed i will put up the link she maybe able to help x

I'll tag @Jen889

She's very knowledgable and Canadian too. :)
Ouuuuu stop, stop you're making me blush. :p

@justanailaddict TAOND is actually a reputable site and you will receive a great base to becoming a nail tech. I myself had looked into doing a gel nail course with them. The only thing that I would do is get into contact with them and ask if you can get your license using their course. The reason being is out west (I'm assuming you're in BC but please correct me lol) the licensing is stricter and may not accept an online course. Just check this out with them, they are very honest and knowledgeable.

I'm surprised that your boss hasn't been caught by an inspector yet. They usually ask to see all the certificates of the techs working in the salon. She's been lucky! In order to option insurance she had to have left you out as they also require certificates of the employees. Well I should say, all the GOOD insurances. And this is even if she has insurance but that a whole other story haha.

Ouuuuu stop, stop you're making me blush. :p

@justanailaddict TAOND is actually a reputable site and you will receive a great base to becoming a nail tech. I myself had looked into doing a gel nail course with them. The only thing that I would do is get into contact with them and ask if you can get your license using their course. The reason being is out west (I'm assuming you're in BC but please correct me lol) the licensing is stricter and may not accept an online course. Just check this out with them, they are very honest and knowledgeable.

I'm surprised that your boss hasn't been caught by an inspector yet. They usually ask to see all the certificates of the techs working in the salon. She's been lucky! In order to option insurance she had to have left you out as they also require certificates of the employees. Well I should say, all the GOOD insurances. And this is even if she has insurance but that a whole other story haha.

Yes, BC! but that's very interesting..I thought BC didn't require any licensing :confused: pretty sure I read that somewhere...I will definitely check out the school then!!
On the topic of my boss though, she is new to business management (NO background at all) and has some rather 'interesting' business practises..:rolleyes:

It might be an option. You can call the association for BC (Info is on the website attitude provided) and find out before you spend any money.

Your boss is only on you to get certified because she most likely knows licencing is required.

It might be an option. You can call the association for BC (Info is on the website attitude provided) and find out before you spend any money.

Your boss is only on you to get certified because she most likely knows licencing is required.

It's the opposite actually. I'm the one that wants to get certified...if anything she seems to be against it (not outright, but her tone and telling me how it's useless)..maybe because she feels she will lose leverage once I am properly qualified lol

I did contact TAOND though and they said that BC is currently not regulated (no license required)

It's the opposite actually. I'm the one that wants to get certified...if anything she seems to be against it (not outright, but her tone and telling me how it's useless)..maybe because she feels she will lose leverage once I am properly qualified lol

I did contact TAOND though and they said that BC is currently not regulated (no license required)
So then you'd be fine taking a course online.

Hello from BC Canada! I just recently trained in natural nail manicure and gel sculpted nails with En Vogue. The training was great and on evenings/Sundays so you might be able to fit it in with your work schedule. I too looked into online training but training with En Vogue is really reasonable for the quality of instruction you get and the time you spend in class. I recommend going the in-class route if you can afford to because the value in the training is so much better. It's true that you don't need qualifications to practice in BC, but you may have trouble buying professional products and getting insurance to go on your own if you don't. Some other options you can look into are training with BioSculpture (they do a couple of weekend training days with at-home practise in between) or a part-time artificial nails course at Okanagan College (if you live in/near the Okanagan). You can PM me if you want, but I can't speak highly enough about En Vogue. Great product, great instruction and good price (about half of other in-class training I looked into). Hope this helps.

Hello from BC Canada! I just recently trained in natural nail manicure and gel sculpted nails with En Vogue. The training was great and on evenings/Sundays so you might be able to fit it in with your work schedule. I too looked into online training but training with En Vogue is really reasonable for the quality of instruction you get and the time you spend in class. I recommend going the in-class route if you can afford to because the value in the training is so much better. It's true that you don't need qualifications to practice in BC, but you may have trouble buying professional products and getting insurance to go on your own if you don't. Some other options you can look into are training with BioSculpture (they do a couple of weekend training days with at-home practise in between) or a part-time artificial nails course at Okanagan College (if you live in/near the Okanagan). You can PM me if you want, but I can't speak highly enough about En Vogue. Great product, great instruction and good price (about half of other in-class training I looked into). Hope this helps.

This is really great information!
I've been fortunate enough to have fellow coworkers and nail tech friends help me out in terms of supply ("we need a boot!") but it's definitely a hassle. I've sent you a PM but thank you again for your input!

Latest posts

Back