Training advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie276

Reaction score
Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice regarding training.

I have been thinking about this for several years but always talk myself out of it i think because im a little frightened, feel too old etc but my current work is so unfulfilling, I would love to do a job that I can create something, be passionate about and can also make people happy/feel pretty.

I have seen various nail tech courses and some offer NVQ level 2 training, some have VTCT and some just they are Beauty Guild accredited. What is the best one that actually makes you qualified? I dont want to pay for a course only to find out that im not qualified to do anything at all or insurable. Are there courses that teach you both acrylic and gel extensions, I would obviously like to learn acrylic extensions, dip powder, polygel and builder gel - does this come as package or are these all seperate courses. Do all nail techs know how to do any of these?

I also would like to know what happens after you do one of these courses and come out with a qualification that allows you to work on people, do you offer your services for free/discounted etc until you have had enough experience? Do you jump straight in with charging people. I think I would feel very nervous doing a course and then going straight in to working on people without adequate practise.

Do you think 35 is too old to start out in this industry? There is obviously lots of courses and training and I dont know how long it takes to get really good.

Is there anyone that is a nail tech that is not great at art? Have you managed to learn that skill, is it a problem?

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

I am 34 and qualified in June. I did the VTCT level 3 in Nail Technology at a beauty school on a part time basis as I wanted to do a more detailed course. I absolutely loved it.

With regards to charging after qualifying I charged a very reduced rate (just enough to cover my materials etc) in order to gain experience. I am still running introductory offers on all services until I feel 100% confident. I know some girls on my course did about a month of reduced rate then went to full rate. It’s a matter of what you are comfortable with. I just feel until I’m more confident I won’t charge full price.

However, I am so glad I did this. I am late to the game but it’s something I’ve wanted to do since being a child. It took a close friend passing away last year to realise we aren’t here for that long so if one of your dreams is possible to do then grab it! Xxxxx

Thank you so much for your reply.

I’ve always been passionate about all things beauty, I nearly enrolled in a full time college course when I was about 17 but decided I needed money so got a job instead, looking back I wish I had just done it then.

Thank you for the advice regarding what to do afterwards, the training I’m not so nervous about as I love to learn but actually doing it on real people is a bit nerve racking!

How long was your course? There is so many options and I’m not sure what is the correct one, did you have to do level 2 prior to level 3?

Do you know what the difference is between beauty guild accreditation, VTCT and nvq?

Your right, life is too short not to do what makes you happy and although my job provides me with an income I really want to do something I really enjoy and get satisfaction from.

Do you advertise that you are newly qualified and that’s why you are offering a discounted rate or do you just advertise a discounted rate?

Thanks again, I really appreciate you sharing your experience.

X

I was very much the same, I wish I had done it at that stage but I suppose things happen for a reason.

I didn’t do the level 2 I went straight into the level 3. I actually did it on an advanced learner loan which helped with finances massively. I went with the VTCT as I believe it is recognised internationally and seems to be the most requested qualification. The course ran one day a week from Jan - Jun. I did put a lot of work in at home such as practicing on myself and practice hands which helped a lot.

I still have the client fear every single time, even when it’s someone I know [emoji23]. To be quite honest though I am a nervous person in general!

On the flyers I stated I was newly qualified and also state this on my social media. On the next batch of flyers I have ordered I have used the term introductory offer but I do state when speaking to the client I qualified in June hence the large discounts. It has never seemed to put anyone off to be fair. It is hard getting new clients but I knew it wasn’t going to be a walk in the park with so much talent available. Xx

That’s really helpful information to know thank you.

I will have a look for level 3 VTCT, I’ve only managed to find level 2 in my area so far but now I know what I’m looking for it should be easier.

Yes I’m a bit of a nervous person too lol, an over thinker shall we say!! Hopefully it gets easier with time, my hands shake when im nervous which is probably not the greatest quality for a nail tech!!!

You have been super helpful, thanks so much for responding.

xxx

It’s funny you say that as my hands shake quite badly, a lot worse when I first started, but I found they did begin to settle. A trick I used was keeping my elbow on the table when my hands were shaking badly. Somehow stabilised the hand. Also, tying a band around the thumb twisted from the wrist. I did that a few times and after about the third time of doing it I didn’t need to do it again. I think it was a psychological crutch in the back of my mind.

Not a problem at all, if you ever need to discuss anything I’m always here xxx

Thanks, I will definitely try that!

I am sure I will have lots more questions! I have found a VTCT level 2 close to me so I think I will do that as the level 3 I have found says I must have done level 2 first.

Thanks again for all your help, have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year x

So, I am waiting to here if I have been accepted into a vctc course, qualification I believe to be nail technician level 2.

I am desperately trying to understand what this qualifies me for....the course only does l and p extensions along with all the safety/anatomy/contradictions etc.

Now I really also want to do gel extensions and gel polish also....will I be qualified to do that? I want to do things properly and plan on doing courses for those things but more like a few day courses rather than months. Surely if I understand the nail anatomy, structure etc it is more of just learning how to work with a different product?

Are conversion courses optional/necessary? Are you covered by insurance without doing conversion courses?

Anytime you change brands do you have to do a conversion course?

I definitely want to do courses in any product I’m using to get the best out of it and be safe but are they required?

will I need to do another vctc course in hard gel to be able to offer that service or is the acrylic vctc and then a shorter gel course sufficient?

Also are l and p conversion courses required to use a different brand than the one trained in? I thought acrylic was acrylic and all worked similarly.

I am struggling to find the answers to these questions anywhere.

thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.

Applying L&P is totally different to gel and therefore different training will be required.

Without the specific training you won't be covered under insurance for those services.

So, I am waiting to here if I have been accepted into a vctc course, qualification I believe to be nail technician level 2.

I am desperately trying to understand what this qualifies me for....the course only does l and p extensions along with all the safety/anatomy/contradictions etc.

Now I really also want to do gel extensions and gel polish also....will I be qualified to do that? I want to do things properly and plan on doing courses for those things but more like a few day courses rather than months. Surely if I understand the nail anatomy, structure etc it is more of just learning how to work with a different product?

Are conversion courses optional/necessary? Are you covered by insurance without doing conversion courses?

Anytime you change brands do you have to do a conversion course?

I definitely want to do courses in any product I’m using to get the best out of it and be safe but are they required?

will I need to do another vctc course in hard gel to be able to offer that service or is the acrylic vctc and then a shorter gel course sufficient?

Also are l and p conversion courses required to use a different brand than the one trained in? I thought acrylic was acrylic and all worked similarly.

I am struggling to find the answers to these questions anywhere.

thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.

Applying L&P is totally different to gel and therefore different training will be required.

Without the specific training you won't be covered under insurance for those services.

I am Australian and the course I did was at a registered training college and was not brand specific. Once I had done my initial training and decided what brand I wanted to use, I then took a one on one course with the brand educator. Most brands work in similar ways and here in Australia there is no LAW that states you have to do conversion courses to use specific brands. However it could be beneficial if you are having issues with a specific brand.

Great, thanks for coming back to me. I am going to change to a different accreditation I think so I can do all of the different courses rather than just the 1 the college offer.

I qualified in manicure and pedicure, gel polish then gel and L&P extensions at the age of 49! I had ALWAYS wanted to be a manicurist. Old fashioned term but then again, I am ancient, lol! I have worked for the NHS for 30 years and still do on a part time basis. After a LOT of research, I did all of my training with NSI. This allowed me to get insurance and purchase professional quality products. I moved away from NSI products because they didn't really offer me the wide range of colours that I was after. I haven't done conversion courses for my current two brands and my insurance doesn't insist on this. . My little business has grown via word of mouth. I have since done 1-2-1 sessions with some really good nail artists to get some confidence with pushing me out of my comfort zone and now attempt all sorts of nail art. However, most of my clients want a really good basic gel polish service that stays put, doesn't lift and is removed and replaced professionally. I am looking into training with a full coverage gel nail system because my clients want length QUICKLY! So you never really stop learning.

I qualified in manicure and pedicure, gel polish then gel and L&P extensions at the age of 49! I had ALWAYS wanted to be a manicurist. Old fashioned term but then again, I am ancient, lol! I have worked for the NHS for 30 years and still do on a part time basis. After a LOT of research, I did all of my training with NSI. This allowed me to get insurance and purchase professional quality products. I moved away from NSI products because they didn't really offer me the wide range of colours that I was after. I haven't done conversion courses for my current two brands and my insurance doesn't insist on this. . My little business has grown via word of mouth. I have since done 1-2-1 sessions with some really good nail artists to get some confidence with pushing me out of my comfort zone and now attempt all sorts of nail art. However, most of my clients want a really good basic gel polish service that stays put, doesn't lift and is removed and replaced professionally. I am looking into training with a full coverage gel nail system because my clients want length QUICKLY! So you never really stop learning.

Hi Chrissie, thanks for coming back to me. I am glad its all going so well for you and reassuring that even past the 20's new career opportunities can be made!! I definitely would like to continue training courses once I have qualified to expand my knowledge and gain more confidence. Hopefully I will do ok and not die of nerves!!

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back