Training advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brich96

Reaction score
Hi there everyone! So I have been qualified for almost 5 years in CPD accredited courses, I originally won a competition to go on these courses and quickly fell in love with beauty and the beauty industry. At the time I was completing a degree in Criminology which I have now completed. I am due to start my teaching degree in September however I have decided that I do not want to delve further into criminology however I would really love to be able to do the Level 2 and Level 3 beauty courses as I don't feel like the CPD courses are enough to be able to open my own salon etc? I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I would go about this? I would also rather pay privately to do it in a small group than go to a college etc as the thought of being a mature student in a class of 16 year olds is really daunting! thanks! :)

*I realise this sounds like I have not been carrying out treatments, I have been carrying them out, just from renting spaces in other salons.

Try looking for a CIBTAC or CIDESCO qualification. In the U.K. these qualifications are usually offered in a private college aiming at over 18 and mature learners. When I did my course we were a group of 12, only 2 were straight from school. Most people had several years work experience in a different industry and were retraining. A CIBTAC course is a one year (ish) course which covers level 2 and 3 and it’s very comprehensive, you’ll usually cover a the curriculum of a VTCT beauty therapy diploma course and Spa Diploma, so it’s basically 3 years learning in a year. A CIBTAC qualification is less rigorous and takes approximately 8 months. You cover level 2 and 3 in this time but with less practise.

Both courses are offered as part time and full time options. I notice that in Ireland some colleges also offer their own intensive short courses which look similar in content and they also offer weekend only training which might be very convenient for you. Bear in mind that there is a lot of content on these courses. On my course there was a radiographer with 10 years experience, a Vet and a number of other students besides myself who were degree educated. None of us were simultaneously studying at post graduate level although many of us were working part-time. There’s quite a lot of information to assimilate and it’s pretty dry at times.

Latest posts

Back