Training courses and products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamStone

Reaction score
I have had a dream to become Nail tech for a long time now and i have come to a point in my life where i need to take the plunge and go for it. I have read lots of good and bad things about training courses and wondered on your thoughts on online courses etc.

I have been doing my own acrylic nails for just under a year now and love it but I just can’t stop the lifting. I enquired about doing an online course and my husband said you love it so much why don’t you try and make a living from it, if you pass. I have thought long and hard and it’s a great idea but i need a lot of training.

I am also currently trying to work out how much it will cost to set up, i.e. insurance, products, advertisement’s and training.

That leads me to my second question on where does everyone buy their products? I have read about the dangers of buying the wrong products.

I love using The Edge products and I know of a couple of other brands very well known and loved by many but they can also be very expensive to buy in bulk to start up a business.

Any advice and tips on helping me to take me to that next level of my dream is much appreciated.

Take care all

Louise

I trained with Young Nails and their products are amazing,I set up about a year and half ago but worked in another job that paid for me to set up,if you go on youngs website you should be able to find a mentor near you that can train you xxx

I trained with Young Nails and their products are amazing,I set up about a year and half ago but worked in another job that paid for me to set up,if you go on youngs website you should be able to find a mentor near you that can train you xxx

Thank you so much for that. I'll take a look as soon as i get my little girl to bed

I can only offer current advice from my Niece's experience. Last year she did her NVQ level 3 in nails and got funding for it. She only starts paying the loan back if she earns over £20,000 per year, it might even be 22. She also got a NSI gel and acrylic kit with this, certainly enough to get plenty of practice with. She did one day a week but there were some evening courses on offer too.

I wouldn't waste your money on online courses, or courses that say they can teach you in 1-2 days. I'm not sure if you can even get insurance with the online courses.

Good luck xx

I can only offer current advice from my Niece's experience. Last year she did her NVQ level 3 in nails and got funding for it. She only starts paying the loan back if she earns over £20,000 per year, it might even be 22. She also got a NSI gel and acrylic kit with this, certainly enough to get plenty of practice with. She did one day a week but there were some evening courses on offer too.

I wouldn't waste your money on online courses, or courses that say they can teach you in 1-2 days. I'm not sure if you can even get insurance with the online courses.

Good luck xx
How did she get funding for the course and which course did she do/what provider? Thanks x

If you are in the USA I highly advice against training with any of the schools who advertise on television.

How did she get funding for the course and which course did she do/what provider? Thanks x

It was an NVQ level 3, I think the awarding body was VTCT. She enroled with the training provider and they went through the loan application process, it's a government scheme 24+ advanced learner loans. She stumbled across the course being advertised on a local FB page but I'm sure if you google your area courses will come up.

I had a look at their courses but there is none near me. I emailed them but no reply.

Good luck xx
Hiya and thanks for your advice. I don't need a loan just wanted to know what products the professional nail technicians use to keep costs down. I understand that if you have a registered business you get discount with wholesalers. I've looked into other brands as well as the edge.

If you are in the USA I highly advice against training with any of the schools who advertise on television.
I'm in the united kingdom and they don't advertise courses like that here. It's mostly word of mouth or Google

There are lots of good courses out there, mostly people either go for a whole college NVQ, or they train with their favourite brand.

I'm currently training with Sweet Squared and CND and can only highly recommend it, but I know Nail Harmony, NSI, Young Nails, The Creative Beauty group also have had great reviews on their education.

If you are interested in continuing using The Edge products, why not look into their education? Enquire to see what they offer and look for reviews on the courses.

Hiya and thanks for your advice. I don't need a loan just wanted to know what products the professional nail technicians use to keep costs down. I understand that if you have a registered business you get discount with wholesalers. I've looked into other brands as well as the edge.

The loan is to pay for your training, about £3000 for NVQ, not to set up with products.

Latest posts

Back