Training dilemmas from the south!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma1982

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just a quick one! I have applied to study VTCT Level 2 in Nail Treatments and Nail Technology. However, I have been warned that places on the course are like gold-dust and that my chances of getting in are basically slim and none! I do know the nail industry quite well but I really want to be a qualified nail tech!!

Any suggestions for training colleges down south? I'm even thinking of taking one of these home learn courses just to get me started. Are they any good??

Have a nice day all.......Gemma
Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't help you with any names of Colleges, but thought I'd share with you that the same applies here in the Midlands.

It's virtually impossible to get onto any of the VTCT courses ! They are extremely popular and it's a fight to the death (or so to speak) to get your name down on the list.

GOOD LUCK

Hi Gemma,

There is a new Nail specific NVQ, The ANT have details as they run the course via there Satellite assessment centres - not sure of locations but if you ring them they can advise if there is one near you. (Do a search on ANT and you'll be able to find the number, don't have to hand, sorry!).

ITEC also do a Diploma in Nail Technology - have a look at www.itecworld.co.uk for details of the course and give them a call and they can advise you which colleges/ institutions (inc. private ones) that run the course.

You mention ome learn, not sure how much you've researched training with a product company but do plently of research before you part with your cash. Can't comment on Home learn as haven't done it myself but know, for example, that Creative don't accept the home learn courses. So if in future you want to use Creative products and have trained with home learn then you have to do the Creative foundation whereas if you have a qualification they recognise, you can just do conversion. It's worth taking the time to look at what each company/ course offers before you do it so you don't spend money you don't need. If you do a search on training you'll be able to see questions/advise from other techs and what sort of things to think about when looking for a course.
(I am NOT saying don't do home learn, do a search and see what other peole think of it - who have actually done it. I'm only quoting Creative as an example as I know a bit about them, just advising to do thorough research before making any decision! :) )

Also worth bearing in mind, it's been mentioned a few times before that a lot of the trainers on college courses are often NOT qualified nail techs, so it's worth asking if your will be. Training from a product company (a reputable one!!) will be from a qualifed tech so can give you up to date info on techniques etc.

B x

Gemma1982 said:
Hello everyone.

Just a quick one! I have applied to study VTCT Level 2 in Nail Treatments and Nail Technology. However, I have been warned that places on the course are like gold-dust and that my chances of getting in are basically slim and none! I do know the nail industry quite well but I really want to be a qualified nail tech!!

Any suggestions for training colleges down south? I'm even thinking of taking one of these home learn courses just to get me started. Are they any good??

Thanks
Hi I trained with star nails which i thought at the time was really good , but Creative didn't seem to rate it much but let me do a conversion course so i could use their products . in my opnion they are better and if i had to do it all again i would have just done my main course with them ! you have to check that what ever course you do that you will be able to get insurance for public liability ect! i am now doing my nvq level 3 at creative in salibury two lots of assesments to go argh!!!
hope you do well
vicky

Gemma1982 said:
Hello everyone.

Thanks
They are popular because its a good way to learn and a good qualification. Don`t get disheartened, get yourself on a waiting list if you can. Get down there on the first enrollment day to get enrolled and badger them if you don`t get a place. I did all this on my last VTCT, I got a place for a Sat morning class but wanted a Mon evening so I even went along to the Mon evening in case someone didn`t turn up. My perseverance paid off and I stayed in the Mon class so it is worth doing.
Even if you can`t get a place initially, people do drop out because its too hard for them (some people think learning nails is going to be easy) then you can fill the empty space, even if its a couple of weeks late, you can catch up.
Home learn can never replace the need for a tutor to be on hand when you need it.
Good luck with it, let us know how you get on

Hi Gemma1982
I'm in Brighton too and you are absolutely right, there is nowhere to take any courses in our area at all :(

None of the colleges in Sussex (Crawley, Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Lewes, etc) are offering the new NVQ, most of them haven't even heard of it and talk to you like you're stupid when you ask about it. I'm 35 years old, and I object to being spoken to like an idiot!!!

I have sent my application to Brighton Tech (as I know it, in Pelham Street) for the VTCT that starts in September 2005 - I had to post it off in January because places are offered on a first come first served basis, providing you pass the interview stage. They run this 18 week, all day Monday course twice a year and it's been fully booked for 2 years so far!!

I've been down the route of ANT SACs and they're next to useless too! It's just a list of training courses, none of which are the NVQ itself, and 2 records on the 4 pages are in our area - one is LCN in Hurstpierpoint (good for Gel one of the market leaders - and I did my basic mani-pedi with them) and Nails Plus Beauty in Brighton who runs some courses here and somewhere in the Midlands.

The only place fairly local to us I can find that are planning to do the new NVQ is K-SA-RA in Bexley in Kent - I've been keeping an eye on Rachel's website hoping she's going to post some details soon, but she's one busy Chick :Love: and I'm not sure all the stuff is in place from the governing bodies yet really either.

I've done my Four Day Foundation with Creative, I've done my conversion to Brisa, my conversion to Fabric#, and am a Creative Master Technician, I just want to do an NVQ!!!

Good luck with your search, if you find anything please post the details, there would be lots of grateful Sussex techs!

Regards
Trin
xx

If you're interested in other training rather than NVQ/VTCT, I too would highly recommend Creative.

There is an Acadamy in Acton in London (it's pain to get too, but worth it for Jacqui and Ketan), there is a new Acadamy in Crawley I believe (not been to it but I'm fairly sure it's recently opened)

I used LCN in Hurstpierpoint for my basic manicure and pedicure courses before I did my Creative Four Day Foundation, you don't have too, but I want to get a broad spectrum of training from lots of sources.

LCN Gel is fab, but whilst the training is reasonably priced the products are expensive.

EZ Flow are good too - I have used their products, but not done a training course. Sparklepink (on here) is an EZ Flow Educator and she's located in Crawley, having just opened her sparkly new Salon too :Love:

If you really want to do a Star Nails course, there is Capital Hair & Beauty in Brighton near the old Goldstone Ground, but personally, I would save the money the Star Nails course will cost and put it towards the Creative Foundation course. Creative win training awards left, right and centre, so you can't go wrong with them.

There are some very good courses available, there are lots more really bad courses out there too - take your time, research everything, ask on here, use the search facility on the top right hand corner, training is a regular question asked and there are hundreds of posts evaluating courses, companies and sharing eperiences.

HTH

Trin
xx

Thanks for all that info, I knew you guys wouldn't let me down! Trin, it sounds like you have applied to exactly the same course in Brighton as I have, I will be starting in september if my application is successful as well! Failing that I have heard Crawley being mentioned a couple of times, and that's not too far from Brighton. I guess we will have to sit tight on that one! It sounds to me like you have a good head start, with all that experience behind you! Good luck and I will see you at the group interview in June!!!

Gemma xx

Hi there,Association of Nail Technicians
c/o Trades Exhibition Ltd
3rd Floor
Broadway House
2-6 Fulham Broadway
London
SW6 1AA
Tel: 020 7471 1621

Hope thats of use to you.

Here is the contact information for the ANT - try giving them a call

Trinity Nails said:
If you really want to do a Star Nails course, there is Capital Hair & Beauty in Brighton near the old Goldstone Ground,

Star Nails have gone bust so DON'T book in to do one of their courses!! A couple of geeks had their courses booked and paid and never got them due to the company going out of business.

Bryony said:
Star Nails have gone bust so DON'T book in to do one of their courses!! A couple of geeks had their courses booked and paid and never got them due to the company going out of business.

Hi

I think that the company that has taken over star nails is trying to sort out any courses that have been booked and paid for. In my local branch the manager said they are trying to get the courses honoured.

Debs said:
They are popular because its a good way to learn and a good qualification. Don`t get disheartened, get yourself on a waiting list if you can. Get down there on the first enrollment day to get enrolled and badger them if you don`t get a place. I did all this on my last VTCT, I got a place for a Sat morning class but wanted a Mon evening so I even went along to the Mon evening in case someone didn`t turn up. My perseverance paid off and I stayed in the Mon class so it is worth doing.
Even if you can`t get a place initially, people do drop out because its too hard for them (some people think learning nails is going to be easy) then you can fill the empty space, even if its a couple of weeks late, you can catch up.
Home learn can never replace the need for a tutor to be on hand when you need it.
Good luck with it, let us know how you get on
Hi Debs, Just looked at this training thread as I too need to do more training, but can you tell me please what is VTCT (I initially trained with LCN but to get into a salon most want NVQs, i will be checking these out too. )What is so good about the VTCT is it instead of or as well as nvq, many thanks,
Debs X
icon_confused.gif

I think VCTC is a governing board of examiners, just like City and Guilds so they set the standards required for the NVQs

Sassy Hassy said:
I think VCTC is a governing board of examiners, just like City and Guilds so they set the standards required for the NVQs

Sassy's right, I've got 4 certificates and 2 diplomas through a college course with the VTCT. They are all actually IHBC qualifications (International Health and Beauty Council). I don't know how well thought of they are, but I hear the IHBC name bandied about quite a lot!

Hope in some strange way that helps!

Thanks for that Bryony - I was considering. I gonna wait for my VTCT to come around and keep my fingers crossed! xxx

Thanks for your time answering, that helps!

Latest posts

Back