Training hands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taleofnails

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I qualified in college as a level 2 nail tech back in 2014... which seems so long ago! Anyway I didn’t take it any further but I want to start up a little nail business in 2020. I need to gather equipment and products and sort insurance first.
The services I will offer will be manicures, pedicures and gel polish and then eventually acrylics once I feel confident to do these again on clients at a discounted rate.
I just thought it’d be a sensible idea to get one of those trainer hands to practice the acrylic application and designs to start with.... Anyone have one or recommend one?
I used one at college I remember it being annoying but I guess il have to make do lol. My own fault for leaving it so long to practice!

Hi everyone, I qualified in college as a level 2 nail tech back in 2014... which seems so long ago! Anyway I didn’t take it any further but I want to start up a little nail business in 2020. I need to gather equipment and products and sort insurance first.
The services I will offer will be manicures, pedicures and gel polish and then eventually acrylics once I feel confident to do these again on clients at a discounted rate.
I just thought it’d be a sensible idea to get one of those trainer hands to practice the acrylic application and designs to start with.... Anyone have one or recommend one?
I used one at college I remember it being annoying but I guess il have to make do lol. My own fault for leaving it so long to practice!

Welcome to Salon Geek.

I’m linking a couple of recent similarly related threads to get you started :)

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/practice-hand.329114/post-2646958

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/silicone-hand.328196/post-2654975

Thank you!
I did get some little plastic fingers from amazon and wasn’t impressed.
I’ve seen the nail trainer hand, think it’s around £69.
I just want to make sure it’s worth my while

I've just ordered a half silicone hand from Glamerliz. Not cheap but got to be worth it right? X

I’ve tried two or three silicone hands and spent quite a bit but it’s hopeless trying to fit forms on silicone. Even wrapping fingers in tape...
I’ve ended up most happy with a wooden life art pose-able hand that I’ve adapted and it works a treat. Everything fixes on soundly and doesn’t move no matter what. Best seven quid I’ve spent in ages! [emoji1]
8313a523a4d37925853c723a75dcdd3f.jpg

I’ve tried two or three silicone hands and spent quite a bit but it’s hopeless trying to fit forms on silicone. Even wrapping fingers in tape...
I’ve ended up most happy with a wooden life art pose-able hand that I’ve adapted and it works a treat. Everything fixes on soundly and doesn’t move no matter what. Best seven quid I’ve spent in ages! [emoji1]
8313a523a4d37925853c723a75dcdd3f.jpg
Wow, may I ask how you’ve adapted it to get nails on? This is such a good idea!

And your nail art is amazing by the way. Love it!

I've just ordered a half silicone hand from Glamerliz. Not cheap but got to be worth it right? X
I’ve had a look and i think the price is a bit high for me, a shame because they look amazing

They come with nails marked out but not shaped. I picked the false nail sizes that fit fairly well and then took out wood and shaped deep nail beds with a couple of cheap efile bits I had lying around until the falsies settled in nicely with realistic sidewalls etc.

To fix the nails on I used some double sided adhesive gel pads for false nails from eBay. Even with fairly aggressive hand filing nothing budged at all. Forms stick really well to wood and at the end I had to give a good tug and a twist to get the nails off.

And your nail art is amazing by the way. Love it!
Thank you.

Nail forms don't like to stick to silicone hands however, just use a bit of masking tape. I use fabric strapping. Works a treat and I can sculpt just fine when I do that. I prefer the silicone hand because it looks realistic in pics.

Thank you everyone, I ended up buying a brand new nail trainer hand second hand for £20 brand new they’re £69. Very pleased and can’t wait to practice my acrylics on there. It’s been years I hope I manage to pick it up quickly again. X

Nail forms don't like to stick to silicone hands however, just use a bit of masking tape. I use fabric strapping. Works a treat and I can sculpt just fine when I do that. I prefer the silicone hand because it looks realistic in pics.
Nah, even faffing about with tape I found the nail and form could shift a little. Perhaps I'm just too OCD.
It’s easy enough to build on the wooden hand and then pop them onto a real hand or a silicone one for pictures.

Latest posts

Back