Training in hair at the age of 39?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60877

Reaction score
Good evening.

I have been thinking of doing hair and go mobile. The problem is I am 39!!!

What do you think? I have no idea what thr training is like so I need an honest opinion.

WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

When I trained the eldest in my class was 54 I think. Go for it if its what you want to do :)

Hiya I don't think age matters if you have the passion and drive to do hairdressing then why not ? I did my training 7 years ago and did this at college , as for going mobile I think you would need to work within a salon first , like I said I have seven years experience and still ask on here for advice as you never stop learning , if you do an NVQ you will learn the theory side of hair then there's practical such as cutting , colouring ect if you want to do it go for it your never to old to do anything x

Just looked at your profile I trained at Bournemouth college x

39 too old? Like I said to another geek, your only too old when your cold and in a box otherwise follow your heart. Xoxo

I don't think its to old ,but as said above once you qualify you will need to put in a fue years work in a salon before going on your own ,you will keep learning once you qualify and will need the support of more experienced stylists :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I am 51 in six weeks and I am at college doing level 2 in hairdressing, I am as mad as a box of frogs and have had a crazy 2012 with colour on my hair so at 39 your not old in fact your younngggg!!!

Never to old! Go for it! I would try to get some experience in salon before you go mobile tho! :) happy new year! X

It's not too old!

I started my VRQ2 at age 39 and now doing my NVQ2 qualification.

The only thing I will say, is it takes dedication, particularly if you're doing it as an evening/weekend course. As you're tired from a full day at work and then have to motivate yourself to get up and out for an evening class.

In all honesty, I must say I'm struggling this year, but I know it's worth it, but I'm knackered I have to say! But my full time job is pretty hectic just at the moment., so it doesn't help.

If you can also get a work-placement to give it a try first, and try and run with your course.

P/t evening courses are hard work, and I won't lie, I wish I could do it full time but alas finances won't allow that. You do need to put in the hours studying your theory at home, and you need to find time to practice too.

Good luck. :)

Go for it! 39 is not too old at all, I'm almost 38 and although I've been hairdressing for 22years I can remember when I was at college there was a lady in my class who was 60! As for mobile you will need a good few years in a salon first, you really do need to be 100% at every aspect. Good luck for the future. Xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Thank you so much for your replies . :Grope:

Do it!!! It will be one of the best things you have ever done. Salon experience is essential really as you still learn so much when you first qualify and you need other more experienced people around you.

Also I saved and did a ABC Vidal Sassoon course (back when they were buy get one free in the summers) but only for cutting as I wasn't using their colour, and I cannot tell you how much confidence that gave me, you can take what works for you and leave some aspects.. Ie I love my round brush blow drys!!!

Good luck!!

Heya, happy new year to you too :) your never too old, if you have a passion for hair then get out there and do it :) however salon experience is key!! Find a good salon in your area with different levels of experience within colouring and cutting so you can the most out of everyone around you and you will hone your skills quicker too!!

College will show you the basics when a lady is in front of you its never just a basic lol additional courses to keep your training fresh and up to speak over the years too. I've been doing hair 12 years, used most brands and just opened my own salon after being mobile for 5 years and working in a salon for almost 5 years before that :) good luck, you'll love it :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Go for it! I was 39 when I did my level 2 and lots of older people also in class so don't be put off, I loved it and decided to do lvl3 this year now, go for it and good luck :) x

hi i have come over from the beauty side of things and im just after a bit of advice as to whether you think im a bit late to try learn this trade and be successful at it... im currently qualified in beauty.. lvl lashes.. shellac and spray tanning but have always wanted to also know how to do hair .. i would love to be able to offer everything including doing bridal work with the hair.. has anyone else started this late on and done well at it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im 31 & seriously considering doing the vrq2 hair in Sept.

How likely though is it for an older person to get salon time really? What with minimum wages & the low low wage structure in most salons anyway surely it's neigh on impossible to get in if your over 17? & i dont think apprentice scheme pays salons the bonus for over 25's?

Any tips or suggestions on getting a bit of salon time at the same time as college?

Im 31 & seriously considering doing the vrq2 hair in Sept.

How likely though is it for an older person to get salon time really? What with minimum wages & the low low wage structure in most salons anyway surely it's neigh on impossible to get in if your over 17? & i dont think apprentice scheme pays salons the bonus for over 25's?

Any tips or suggestions on getting a bit of salon time at the same time as college?

It's possible, but it might have to be a volunteer position. Get yourself around local salons and ask and see - it might help make your mind up before you sign up for the course! I think one of the ladies who started this year on NVQ2, got a paid position in the end, but I'm volunteering on a Saturday. Have a search for the thread about Oldest Saturday girl or something like that!

I would LOVE an apprenticeship, but like you could not survive on apprentice wages sadly. Still haven't found out if HB is payable to apprentices - if one came up for an over 19 years person. I don't fancy moving back to my parents at my age! LOL!

Good luck

Better to train now rather than spending the rest of your life with regrets for not doing it at all.

Enjoy the learning and the experience that comes with that. Never too old to learn new things :)

It's possible, but it might have to be a volunteer position. Get yourself around local salons and ask and see - it might help make your mind up before you sign up for the course! I think one of the ladies who started this year on NVQ2, got a paid position in the end, but I'm volunteering on a Saturday. Have a search for the thread about Oldest Saturday girl or something like that!

I would LOVE an apprenticeship, but like you could not survive on apprentice wages sadly. Still haven't found out if HB is payable to apprentices - if one came up for an over 19 years person. I don't fancy moving back to my parents at my age! LOL!

Good luck

Thanks Kaya, i was hoping you'd comment as id seen your a mature student :hug: , so volunteering you say? That'd work for me a couple of PM's a week, so just walk into a hairdressers and ask then? ok! Ive got 7 in my village highstreet alone, surely someone'l have me (I live in towie-dale, honestly!!)

Guess that's my project next week, :Love:

Thanks Kaya, i was hoping you'd comment as id seen your a mature student :hug: , so volunteering you say? That'd work for me a couple of PM's a week, so just walk into a hairdressers and ask then? ok! Ive got 7 in my village highstreet alone, surely someone'l have me (I live in towie-dale, honestly!!)

Guess that's my project next week, :Love:

Yes it's volunteering is usually easier to get your foot in the door. I'm sure I read on here that one of the ladies did this and then she got offered a paid position, so it's worth giving it a go.

Definitely get out and say hello and see if anyone would take you on. If you're considering night course, you WILL need all the extra salon experience you get. It's hard going. Feel free to give me a shout if you want any other info!

Also it might be worth putting a recruitment advert on Salon Geek too if you don't get any luck in Towie-dale (LOL) - that's what I did in the end, and a kind Geek has offered me a place :D

Latest posts

Back