Training in my 30's eeekkk!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinthebox

Reaction score
apologies if this has been covered in a thread already, i did look but could not find anything. i have always wanted to train as a hairdresser but took up a different career out of lack of confidence in myself, blah, blah. i now have 2 kids and have an opportunity to do a part-time course in nvq 2 starting next week but i am afraid that i will be seen as a golden oldie, i am 33. any advice would be appreciated.

thanx jackinthebox

Hey hun

I've been offered 2 days a week training as a hairdresser 'in house' then getting an NVQ assessor in once I'm ready.

I'm 35. Never think of yourself as a 'golden oldie'! You still have at least half of your working life left, and as you have had kids (like me), you have more patience, a want and a need (not like some of the juniors I've come across but that's a different thread entirely!) and more of a willingness to learn.

Go for it, and good luck :)

Hiya!
I would just like to say to you well done for wanting to go for it. I hate hearing 'oh im too old to do a course' by people as i think you can be any age and it doesnt matter! So well done.(not that i think you are old).
I dont do hair, i am in my 3rd yr in beauty.My first year i was 22 and stuck with the 16 yr olds.It was hard at times as they were talking about fighting and drinking and stuff i'd already been there and already done. but it was worth it as i wouldnt be doing level 3 now and t flew by.
You may have someone on the course your age if not there will be people there on your wave length im sure.
Good luck with it and dont worry! :) xxx

Im 37! Im doing a part time hairdressing course at college as well as a full time Beauty course. I am not the oldest in my classes but I not the youngest either.

I think most colleges do a mature learners class, you could ask if yours does

I am 45 and started full time beauty two years ago...am now heading into My HND year...and thinking about Uni after that...lol...your a youngster

LindaC

i started last year fulltime at college level one/two hairdressing age 35 and i love it...............you are put into classes ie matures .in my class we go from 17(only2 moved into our class to be nurtured i think lol, and) to 45. and we get on fab and have a right laugh...
youll love it.honest

ahhh, you are all so lovely and encouraging, thank you sooo much. i am sick with nerves today but i am going to go for it, what the hell, life is too short. thank you again means a lot x:)

ahhh, you are all so lovely and encouraging, thank you sooo much. i am sick with nerves today but i am going to go for it, what the hell, life is too short. thank you again means a lot x:)

just a little tip for you hun...take some headache pills with you the first day i had a banging head....build up of nerves like you on the first day...i was so fired up...just a little tip :hug::hug:

I trained in my 30's and totally loved it.
I think you are more determined to make it work when you find something you really want to do.
Good luck x

Hey hun! well i wish it was me. I to have 2 boys just about to buy my flat so i have no choice but to work. I am working part time in uni and night time doing mobile spray tanning. I would love to do my hairdressing or beauty course!

You go for it and enjoy it!!
c.xx

I am 42 & am 7 weeks into doing a part time nvq level 2 hairdressing course, I am the oldest by only a year though & everyone is absolutely brilliant! Go for it hun!
love Vicky
xxxxxxxx
Ps you are only a spring chicken anyway lol

I am 29 and just started NVQ 2 hairdressing and im loving it!! I chose to do and evening course and altho im not the youngest on the course I am not the oldest by far. I think anyone who has the gutts to get out there and better themselves then good luck to them. I wont let anything hold me back least of all age. My advice would be go for it girl!!

Absolutely go for it! I have the utmost respect for personalities like your's as I am sure does everyone else. As stated before you have half your working life left and you would regret it if you didn't. When you grow older you won't regret the things you done but will regret the things you didn't do.
My very close freind has 2 teenage step-children (living with her and her husband) her teenage son from her previous relationship and 2 children together, the youngest is 18 months.
She has been an auxiliaray nurse for many years and decided that she wanted to become an SRN (I think that's what you call it) Nurse. She started University in September. My other freind has 4 kids and is now a fully qualified Marie Currie Nurse. She didn't start training until she was 36.
You can do it and good luck :)

Am sure this thread will go on and on . I am 36 and have just started my level 2 in hairdressing . The class is mixed ranging from 19 to 48 and everyone gets on great , you will love it.

hi i did my traning 4 years ago wich made me 35/36 and i was not the eldest one there there was a lady who was in her 50s so i would not eorrie if i was you i am now 2 mounth away from being 40 and just started a theatrical make up course and i am still not the oldest.

Actually I think it's better to be a bit older, because then at least you know that it's really really what you want to do, so you'll put 100% effort into your course. A lot of the 16 and 17 year olds will lose interest after a few weeks, once they discover how much work is involved.

In my first year class last year in college there was a big mix of age ranges. 16,17,18 to 20's 30's and 40's. My class got on so well and I feel it was because the age mix, before long no one even thinks about it as everyone gets on together. Hope you get on well x

just checked in again and i am so thankful to see all the encouragement and stories from others!!!!!!!!! i am loving it and it is great to get out of the house again to speak to other adults and not just talking teletubbie talk all day, ha, ha. thanx so much :hug: to all. jackie

I'm a few weeks into my part time NVQ Beauty Therapy course and I had the same feelings and nerves!
I am 33 too - I am deffo not the oldest (she is 52) the young ones are straight out of GCSEs on my course.
A few weeks in and some of the younger ones have dropped out - as have some of the older ones due to commitments outside of work. As a result the people that are there are the ones who are willing to learn and want to change their careers and gain the skills for a definite purpose.
I am so glad I am doing the course. Never too old to learn!

Always a bag of nerves on a Thursday morning but the day goes really quick - going to be doing manicures on real live clients in 2 weeks aggh!!

Wish me luck!

Nov x

good luck

i'm 31 and training as a fitness proffesional... doing my anatomy exam on friday
only NVQ level 2 in exercise and fitness but it's as hard as any college courses I've done (ONC engineering, IT diploma, ILM Cert in Managment)

Latest posts

Back