SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen1989cuttie

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn’t sure where to post this but I was wondering if someone could help me!

I went in a course that has been misrepresented and I was also taught things that could invalid my insurance. I was wondering if there is a law against that and what would it be under?

I know the misrepresentation act 1967

But I was wondering what would being taught wrong things to invalidate insurance be under?

I look forward to your replies x

You have two issues to be dealt with seperately.

The training, that's for Trading standards to investigate for you. They are the governing body to ensure the 'service provided' is up to standard, whether they will actually do anything about it us a different matter, they don't have endless resources. They may simply provide you with suggestions on how to get your money back, erc.

Insurance validation is for your insurance company to determine, they will advise if they accept the provider as an accepted source of training. If they say no then you'll need to retrain. This would also be evidence for Trading standards.

You have two issues to be dealt with seperately.

The training, that's for Trading standards to investigate for you. They are the governing body to ensure the 'service provided' is up to standard, whether they will actually do anything about it us a different matter, they don't have endless resources. They may simply provide you with suggestions on how to get your money back, erc.

Insurance validation is for your insurance company to determine, they will advise if they accept the provider as an accepted source of training. If they say no then you'll need to retrain. This would also be evidence for Trading standards.

Thank you for replying
Trading standards are aware and told me to contact her which I have ☹️

Is there no law act about her teaching stuff that invalidates our insurance? That’s really bad because she shouldn’t be aloud to do that. Especially if it’s wrong

Thank you for replying
Trading standards are aware and told me to contact her which I have ☹️

Is there no law act about her teaching stuff that invalidates our insurance? That’s really bad because she shouldn’t be aloud to do that. Especially if it’s wrong

No, it's up to the buyer to know and understand what they are purchasing. It's a catch 22, you don't know what you don't know until you know you don't know.

Nail training is notorious for poor training, hundreds have come in here after realising they have been conned with substandard training. Sadly we work in a mostly unregulated business, there is no one to regulate 'training' or Technicians.

No, it's up to the buyer to know and understand what they are purchasing. It's a catch 22, you don't know what you don't know until you know you don't know.

Nail training is notorious for poor training, hundreds have come in here after realising they have been conned with substandard training. Sadly we work in a mostly unregulated business, there is no one to regulate 'training' or Technicians.

i understand but when you go on training you can look for accredited courses like:

BABTAC
HABIA
ABT
The guild of beauty therapy
FT
BACP
The REP
NVQ
SVQ
BTEC
VTCT
ITEC
HND

all these qualifications are recognised in the beauty industry. I've probably missed some but those are like the main ones that any insurance company knows as a professional qualification and is accredited (meets the standards and is monitored by regulatory bodies in order to make sure that they meet specific criteria and quality standards in the beauty industry).
This is why i am very careful and i look into these things before choosing to go on a course. This is why this course has been misrepresented x

But did you check with ABT/BABTEC/whomever that the provider was actually accredited with them? It's easy to add someone's logo to your website and say you're accredited, but we have seen on here that some training providers are not actually registered despite saying they are.

It's not right, and it's not fair on techs who are spending hard earned money on training they believe will progress their careers only to find they have been mislead or outright conned. All of this is evidence for Trading Standards, but as I said before, they won't necessarily do anything about it. They have thousands of people contacting them daily about issues and cannot see every case through.

You could also refer the training provider to their accrediting body, they should be checking the training offered is up to standard, and advise the provider of changes required if not.

Are you hoping for a refund of your money spent, or to stop the training provider from doing this in the future? Both potentially are difficult to achieve.

But did you check with ABT/BABTEC/whomever that the provider was actually accredited with them? It's easy to add someone's logo to your website and say you're accredited, but we have seen on here that some training providers are not actually registered despite saying they are.

It's not right, and it's not fair on techs who are spending hard earned money on training they believe will progress their careers only to find they have been mislead or outright conned. All of this is evidence for Trading Standards, but as I said before, they won't necessarily do anything about it. They have thousands of people contacting them daily about issues and cannot see every case through.

You could also refer the training provider to their accrediting body, they should be checking the training offered is up to standard, and advise the provider of changes required if not.

Are you hoping for a refund of your money spent, or to stop the training provider from doing this in the future? Both potentially are difficult to achieve.

i know i spoke to trading standards and they said they might send someone out but they might not :( it is very unfair how people can do things like this and lie about them being accredited. I'm trying to get my money back to put it towards another course so i can get insured. This is all a nightmare but I've definitely learnt to be more careful and not trust whats on the internet. fingers crossed this will get sorted out soon x

I'm trying to get my money back to put it towards another course so i can get insured. x

Trading Standards should be able to provide you with templates of letters and a course of action most likely to get you a refund. Just mentioning their name can sometimes prompt a suitable response. You could also investigate taking a claim to the Small Claims Court. You do it yourself so no costly solicitors fees. You might want to check the internet for some templates for letters as a starting point before starting court proceedings. Again, sometimes a well worded letter is enough to prompt the correct response.

Trading Standards should be able to provide you with templates of letters and a course of action most likely to get you a refund. Just mentioning their name can sometimes prompt a suitable response. You could also investigate taking a claim to the Small Claims Court. You do it yourself so no costly solicitors fees. You might want to check the internet for some templates for letters as a starting point before starting court proceedings. Again, sometimes a well worded letter is enough to prompt the correct response.

thank you fr the advice :) ill definitely do all those things, thank you for your help :) x

Latest posts

Back