Training issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liz MASSAM

Reaction score
Do you know if you have to be trained as an educator to be able to teach someone in a salon to do nails. As at a salon not far out of my town i have been told that the salon owner (who has only just passed a beginners nail course) is training a young girl who works for her how to do nails.
Is this legal, and surely even if she trains this girl how to do nails she will not be insured because she will have no actual certificate or valid training.
Is this REALLY ALLOWED!!!!!!!!.
Can anyone help me answer this question, as it quite bithers me.
THANKS LIZ.

hiya liz
this is a very grey area!
on 1 hand... i've had my salon now for 17 yrs.
in that time i've trained 14 girls to be nail techs.
back way back when(!!).... it was usual for girls to go to college to become hairdressers or beauty therapists.
there was also the oppoortunity for them to do an appreniship for hairdressing.
some of my previous staff came from college qualified already in hair/beauty.
some started as trainees full-time, & attended college on a day release basis for hair or beauty.
throughout that time, i continued my education with creative to my masters qualification.
all the girls working for me learnt in- house with me.
all the girls that have been with me over the years are still in the industry.

some have got their own salons, some work freelance, some work self-employed in other salons.

i used to think that the loss of these staff was a failure on my part, but i now see them as a success story
they are all listed on my c.v as achievements.

some of the girls have been back to me now i'm a creative educator & up-dated their training.
i still have 2 members of staff that have been with me for 8 yrs.

they are now working towards their masters with me.

on the other hand...

i know of nail techs that have received training in- house at the salon that they work in, that feel very unsatisfied with that training.

some employers use the tactic that if they teach their staff themselves without them receiving a certificate, they are tied to the salon because they won't b able to get the products without the relevant certificate. :(

this does go on because i've trained students in that situation.

so, the moral of this story is.... use your instints about how good the training you are getting is.
the use of this site should guide nail techs as to whether they should b happy with their standard of training.

there is no black & white in this situation...

the way to go is continue with your training as far as you can go.

liza x

Don't think there is any legislation about this. I know peeps who have done training and said it was appalling but cost a fortune - no theory at all, just told to read a book! It bothers me too, but seems there is nothing we can do. I think there are "genuine" courses out there teaching less than favourably as well. think you're right though she won't get insurance cos it won't be recognised by leading insurers , as Liza says they do it so their staff can't leave, cos they haven't got any formal qualifications.
liz MASSAM said:
Do you know if you have to be trained as an educator to be able to teach someone in a salon to do nails. As at a salon not far out of my town i have been told that the salon owner (who has only just passed a beginners nail course) is training a young girl who works for her how to do nails.
Is this legal, and surely even if she trains this girl how to do nails she will not be insured because she will have no actual certificate or valid training.
Is this REALLY ALLOWED!!!!!!!!.
Can anyone help me answer this question, as it quite bithers me.
THANKS LIZ.

Hi all

i think that the advice Liza has given is excellant!

I believe if you want to train someone professionally in any sphere you should have the Cert Ed.

Deb379

Latest posts

Back