Training standards today

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk25

Reaction score
Hi
I took on an apprentice last week and he is 8 weeks away from the end of his nvq level 2... He is a lovely lad very enthusiastic and seemed very confident at his interview, so I got him a couple of models in one for a long layered cut and another for a blow dry.... The poor lad did not have a clue on the cut at all no tension, totally uneven and for the blowdry did not know what size brushes to use etc... was very surprised as he had come across very confident apart from saying he was not up to scratch on colouring

So I rang his college to introduce myself and asked how he was getting on to be told he is doing really well!!
He had brought his work folder in that morning so I could see where he was up to and there were alot of merits etc in there but hardly any of his practical assignments were done except being signed off for one length cut, blowdrying, shampooing and a few other basic things
So I asked his teacher how on earth he was going to be passed in 8 weeks and she told me not to worry he would be!!!!
He has not even started colouring yet! and apparantly the whole class is around same stage

I feel really sorry for him as I think he was expecting to be on Salon floor in couple of months and had to break it to him he needs much more training
Can colleges really do this or am I expecting to much?
Not sure where to go from here, I am willing to train him up and he wants to stay but Im worried about these certificates being given out!
Obviously his confidence has come from these merits and being told he is doing very well x

I was at college and started my level 1, then went onto level two and done work experience once a week in salon, I felt that college was VERY basic, so once I started my work placement a couple of months toward the end of my level 2 my salon decided to take me on full time and start there training programme with a different company and I then went onto my level 3 and since finishing this a few years ago I've done great. If he seems keen confident and you see something you could work with I would give him a chance (it's so hard to get one) but train him up and let him finish his level 2 in your salon with your trainers.

That is if you have the space for another apprentice

It's quite standard. Most aren't properly educated.
I moved salon to salon through my training to get different perspectives and techniques. It took a long time IMO to be competent to a standard I would expect on my own hair. Glad your willing to train him yourself, but I would start from the basics.
There are some qualified even on here who have no idea what a colour wheel is or the order and counter colour on the wheels so I would say start there. Xoxo

I think all colleges are auto pass, thats how they get paid after all, and for me looking fir a course I seriously think the nvq/vtc is outdated....

BUT, like everything you get out what you put in, if he's keen he'll progress in leaps and bounds with the right management, (and you sound like the right management being interested in improvement),

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

It's amazing what they don't teach you though even as a good stylist with a big collumn the colour wheel/star/lightning curve wasn't something we got much training on but after being on my masters I seen just how important it is and use it every day!

I just think its so unfair for him, I'm willing to train him but was thinking starting with blow drying to get him used to different hair textures etc... He seems alarmed about colours!
Also he is still doing his consultation from a sheet of paper... My training was so different I just feel sorry for the lad as he has been led to believe he is doing well x

Sadly it's normal. My trainee finishes in July. Scary.

I just think its so unfair for him, I'm willing to train him but was thinking starting with blow drying to get him used to different hair textures etc... He seems alarmed about colours!
Also he is still doing his consultation from a sheet of paper... My training was so different I just feel sorry for the lad as he has been led to believe he is doing well x
I understand exactly what you mean. I started doing my training for 4 months in England on the Level 2 NVQ scheme and learnt nothing but shampooing!! It was mainly theory and the practical was left to you really.

I then came back to Spain and continued my training at an expensive English hair academy to do my BTEC Level 2 and 3. When i finished my first year I started work in a salon and felt i knew nothing in comparison. Nothing beats a salon education, colleges just dont give u the same standard. I did my Level 3 and felt they helped me much more but still it was just practice that got me more confident. I am qualified with a distinction now but still so unsure on lots of things!! Long story anyway but if hes enthusiastic as I was then he should push himself and learn lots from you!! xx

For me as a trainee (adult) ive finally chosen to go with my local college for the nvq with 1 day a week at a good local salon, I fully understand my education will come from the placement yet by being local I can afford several colour house courses, hair ups etc and really absorb every second in the salon,

(my aim is to open a salon myself within 2 years so,,)

I think if your interested in pushing your student (as you seem to be) he'll really progress quickly, certainly he sounds keen, give him treats with inhouse colour courses and a cutting masterclass at certain points to keep him keen, college is barely the beginning

He's going to be SO lucky to have you as a boss, someone willing to show him the way.

Colleges are pretty shocking, I went back last year to do my level 3 (I eventually would like to teach...)
I was hoping to learn different techniques, and advance on the knowledge I'd picked up over the years, but sadly disappointed.
I think they get a certain amount of money for the amount of passes they get.
And believe you me EVERYONE passes.

I was a model for a French pleat for one of the students... Oh my, the tutor didn't even come and check, the girl really couldn't be bothered to do it. She PASSED!

x

In Australia they don't qualify for 5 years.
Not a bad thing I don't think..
Am I right in thinking that's how the UK use to be many moons ago?x

He's going to be SO lucky to have you as a boss, someone willing to show him the way.

Colleges are pretty shocking, I went back last year to do my level 3 (I eventually would like to teach...)
I was hoping to learn different techniques, and advance on the knowledge I'd picked up over the years, but sadly disappointed.
I think they get a certain amount of money for the amount of passes they get.
And believe you me EVERYONE passes.

I was a model for a French pleat for one of the students... Oh my, the tutor didn't even come and check, the girl really couldn't be bothered to do it. She PASSED!

x

Plus1 ;-)

Thanks for all your input, he is very determined so hopefully he will be one of the few that makes it
The worrying thing is all these others with basic training able to go and get insurance and let loose on the public x

I staryed a similar thread to this a few months back shocking isnt it? X

In Australia they don't qualify for 5 years.
Not a bad thing I don't think..
Am I right in thinking that's how the UK use to be many moons ago?x

Wasn't Australia desperate for British hairdressers a few years ago? I remember reading something about it. I know you could get a visa as a hairdresser back then.

I've experienced training in both an English college and an American college. I qualified in America.

In the state I was in in the USA, you HAD to go to college for a certain amount of time. But the training was really good, at least at my college. It was fast paced - we had a LOT to learn in eighteen months, but it's equivalent to Level 3 in the UK.

I was fortunate to have some good tutors at my English college in '08/09, but I wasn't being pushed hard enough, and I was dealing with depression, so I ended up quitting. I'm doing a Barbering certificate course at the moment at the same college, and fortunately my tutor is fantastic. She really wants us to be great barbers, and won't pass us on an assessment if she feels we can't recreate it.

When I trained in 1997 with The London College of Fashion it was far from basic. I have seen what colleges have been pushing out of the years and it has gone down hill, however I think with a good salon support the trainees pick up and learn a lot.

I'm a Aussie born and bred. I did a 4 yr apprenticeship with college 1 day a week for 2yrs. They have now reduced the apprenticeship to 3 yrs with the same time at college. They have also introduced a 1year course where you pay 10 thousand dollars ( pound roughly times by 3) and attend college 7days per week and come out fully qualified!!!! There is a couple of colleges in my town. The salons here usually won't employ these people because of their lack of training and the fact that we all have done the hard work to get to where we are. I'm not sure if there is a shortage of hairdressers here in Australia but if there is they are going about it the wrong way!

It's quite standard. Most aren't properly educated.
I moved salon to salon through my training to get different perspectives and techniques. It took a long time IMO to be competent to a standard I would expect on my own hair. Glad your willing to train him yourself, but I would start from the basics.
There are some qualified even on here who have no idea what a colour wheel is or the order and counter colour on the wheels so I would say start there. Xoxo

I did the same:(

I finished my level 2 in 10 weeks and after paying £1500 I think the college should have done more advertising to get more clients to come in. I have nearly completed all my practical assessments and then it will just be practice hors left. From the course I have learned a lot and the theory has been brilliant and learning all about colouring and the structure of the hair it's been worth it for that.

Ugh, see I want to do my level 3 after uni but I just cant stand the thought of going back to college. Its truly dire. 2 years was bad enough, I would only say I am only really understanding colour theory in the past 6 months, and I've been out of college for a year. That said, I was the best and most confident in my class and I still feel theres plenty for me to brush up on.
Colleges could be good if they didnt just take anyone for the stupid funding. Government pushing kids who have no other options after school into trade courses that they dont give a f**k about cos theyre mostly too immature to think about life in the long term. It devalues any qualification having hundreds of other people with the same that dont know a thing about what theyre supposed to have trained in. I don't even feel that my VRQ is worth the paper its printed on tbh. Lets face it education in general is going downhill in the UK, I will probably feel the same way about my degree certificate at the end of it.
In france its SO hard to get into hairdressing school. My cousin applied twice to get in. But england is supposed to be at the forefront of hair fashion and techniques!

Latest posts

Back