Training to be a mobile spray tanner-Sienna X vs Nouvatan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would go for a general beauty name and just advertise as spray tanning at first and that you are building up your services.

That way you won't need to worry about changing your name in the future xx

X

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I always just call up Nouvatan no matter how random my question is and they always help me had a lively conversation with dawn few weeks back nearly 11months with nouvatan and I love it 💖

Yeyyyy so I have my training booked for this week.

I have my logo all done and ready by carl at verve.

When would you start promoting your mobile tanning business? Now ready for clients? Or when your fully confident in tanning and have practiced alot?

Only ive read that it takes a while to get your first customer so start posting leaflets, set up a fb page etc now.

X

Yeyyyy so I have my training booked for this week.

I have my logo all done and ready by carl at verve.

When would you start promoting your mobile tanning business? Now ready for clients? Or when your fully confident in tanning and have practiced alot?

Only ive read that it takes a while to get your first customer so start posting leaflets, set up a fb page etc now.

X

Well done and good luck! Can I ask did you set up with hmrc as a sole trader? Or self employed or small business etc I'm still confused by it all

Well done and good luck! Can I ask did you set up with hmrc as a sole trader? Or self employed or small business etc I'm still confused by it all

Well.. thats why i asked when I should be promoting.. they gave me the link i gave on here.. and said you dont need to register until youve actually started promoting.. so if you promote on fb or leaflets etc on 22nd March... your first customer isnt until 22nd April... you still need to put on your online form that you set up on 22nd basically whenever you promote...

Thats why i wondered if people would start promoting now? Or wait until theyre trained and confident?

Lots of sites say now because of introduction offers you can advertise etc but im scared i wouldnt be confident enough??

Oh I see! Maybe you could do an introductory offer for a certain amount of time while you build up your confidence, after all you're still using your products and getting your work out there just make it clear that the offer is for a limited time and state your price you will be charging once the introductory offer ends :) x

Yess

I was thinking of advertising £10.00 tans from 18th April - end of april

That way it gives me 3 weeks practice on people..

I wasnt sure how to word that im not 'open' until 18th april ... unless that basically gives it away...

Orrrrr maybe 11th april? 2 weeks practice ish

I may register later on this evening as self employed and when i do and ive got my head round it i will post back on here and let u know what i done xx

Yess

I wasnt sure how to word that im not 'open' until 18th april ... unless that basically gives it away...

I may register later on this evening as self employed and when i do and ive got my head round it i will post back on here and let u know what i done xx

Practice on friends ****** not people! Haha

I trained with Sienna x. The training was good and Iv had no complaints about the tans. Been using Siennax for over a year

Yess

Ah that sounds good. Just be clear with people what your usual price will be :)

Okay great do let us know how it works! Xx

You will be fine with one cup, get a funnel from Wilkinsons to pour the tan back into the bottle. You're better off putting more than you need in the cup otherwise you could start pulling air in and splattering. I don't know about other trainers but I always provide models for the trainees to tan and I usually tan the trainee too so that they can experience how the tan looks and fades. Obviously if they don't want a tan then I don't tan them.

Register with HMRC straight away. Also declare yourself as a small earnings business otherwise you'll have to pay National Insurance (again). I'm guessing you won't earn more than £5,000 a year with your training and start up costs of kit.

Don't give yourself a deadline of starting on x day. Advertise for models at x price then when you feel confident advertise at full price.

As for business name use a generic one. It would be a pain to have fork out money to change business cards etc...

Set up a Facebook page once you've registered with HMRC then advertise, advertise, advertise :)

Thanks.. I tried to register online but I got myself so confused (same as the other post)

It was saying if you have a business and your the only one you are a sole trader and when I clicked that it said I would pay 2nd class NI.. or is that tax?

I tried to register over the weekend and I got so stuck!

The woman on the helpline just said dont worry you have until 5th october?? But i said well i want to tell you now..

I think she just wanted me off the phone!

X

Thanks.. I tried to register online but I got myself so confused (same as the other post)

It was saying if you have a business and your the only one you are a sole trader and when I clicked that it said I would pay 2nd class NI.. or is that tax?

I tried to register over the weekend and I got so stuck!

The woman on the helpline just said dont worry you have until 5th october?? But i said well i want to tell you now..

I think she just wanted me off the phone!

X

So.... ive just got off the phone AGAIN... and im registered as a sole trader.. she talked me through the whole thing... self employed sole trader... she said within 7 to 10 days i will get a letter regarding setting up and regarding my NI... they look at how much I already pay etc etc then tell me.... she said not to worry about a big tax bill come january 2016 because thats for these 2 weeks before the new tax year.... but depending on how much i earn between april 15 and april 16 my jan 2017 tax bill may be high??

Ive wrote it all down anyway... its pretty easy to do online! :)

If anyone needs a hand.. i will help as best as i can... xxx

That's a great help becca! I have done my manicure course today and will be doing gelish in May and then setting up as I am doing it all after my holiday in April xx

I doubt very much it'll be high. I made a loss in my first year, and I'm pretty sure I've made one for the second year. Make sure you keep a log of all outgoings - kit, training, mileage (you can claim 42p a mile).

I'll have a look at my paperwork and let you know what it is you need to apply for to make you exempt of NI.

I had no clue when registering. I didn't hear anything for months and months!! I had to do a paper tax return due to the organisation of my full time employment. I found them extremely helpful on the phone.

That's a great help becca! I have done my manicure course today and will be doing gelish in May and then setting up as I am doing it all after my holiday in April xx

Oh good luck!!! Im sure youll do great - i spend a fortune on gettin my nails done gel haha..

Yes sounds good enjoying your holiday and then starting up.

I am so glad i have started to promote my business already... facebook is being noticed... my flyers are on the way... ive emailed local groups and businesses to see if theyd put my introductory offer in their window/on their counter etc...

So good luck to you!!!! Exciting!!!

I doubt very much it'll be high. I made a loss in my first year, and I'm pretty sure I've made one for the second year. Make sure you keep a log of all outgoings - kit, training, mileage (you can claim 42p a mile).

I'll have a look at my paperwork and let you know what it is you need to apply for to make you exempt of NI.

I had no clue when registering. I didn't hear anything for months and months!! I had to do a paper tax return due to the organisation of my full time employment. I found them extremely helpful on the phone.

Oh okay.. the woman i spoke to said she had a friend who went from a loss due to kit etc in the first year to a big profit so to prepare for a tax bill should that happen. But thats the lucky ones hahaa.

Yes if you could let me know about the NI thatd be fab!

Yes she said to get a seperate business phone too as i can claim for that too. And my miles... there were other things but i cant remember, i have them wrote down though.

Do you claim vat back?

You don't get taxed for the first £11,000 anyway do you?

Latest posts

Back