Training with Essential Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren*20

Reaction score
Hi i am all new to this and need some advice

I want to do the gel course were i do it at home as i dont have time to go to college due to work. I have always wanted to become a nail tech but never made the effort. Now i am looking for a career change.

When i qualify on the course can i then do shellac, gellish etc or do i have to do a different course.

Please help, i am struggling to decide to take the course or not

Am I right in thinking that Essential Nails is the correspondance course? I would recommend that you ask yourself what sort of nail technician you want to be. Do you want to reach for the top, become an amazing nail tech with a full appointment book and a waiting list etc? Because if thats what you aspire to you're not going to achieve it with second rate training. You only get out of your training what you put into it, and the best training courses out there are neither the quickest or the cheapest. The Essential Nails course will not make you a very good nail tech, and I would recommend you do a search on here for the different courses available. Some good companies to train with are CND, Ezflow, NSI, if you google these you will find details of their training, prices etc. If you want to be able to offer Shellac or Gelish you would have to train with the companies that offer these products (CND and Nail Harmony) so the Essential Nails course would not qualify you for these products. I know that CND do a conversion course for techs who are qualified with other brands but I'm not sure if they recognise the essential nails course as a professional qualification with it being a correspondance course, so you might have to train all over again from scratch, I would check with CND/Nail Harmony if they recognise the EN course

Good luck finding a course that suits you :D

By doing an en course doesn't make u a crap nail tech it's based on the individual's and how well they learn and if there willing to take the time to learn...I think that's a bit harsh that your branding people who do the course as I've known people to produce high standard nails from doing a en course ...I say do what your money and time allows you to do, I'm doing the acrylic course and it's perfect for me I can do it as and when I please

I'm sorry if you disagree with my opinion, but I think its important to be honest when discussing things like this rather than just flattering the OP and telling them what they want to hear, because that doesnt benefit anyone.

I'm sure there are people who've trained with EN who do nails just fine, there will always be good techs and bad techs with every company, but that doesnt alter the fact that, as training goes, EN are at the lower end of the scale, and the point of my post above was to let the OP know that. Doing nails by correspondance course is no substitute for learning in a classroom environment, and in my view its not much different to looking up videos on youtube and learning that way. Also, there are some suppliers who dont recognise an EN course as a professional qualification which just goes to demonstrate that it is not the best quality training. The point I was trying to make was that if you really want to succeed surely you want to do everything the best way you possibly can, so why would you choose a certain training course when there is so much more quality training available? Please dont think this means that I am calling anyone a crap tech, like I said earlier, there will be some really good EN trained people out there, similarly some techs who trained with companies like CND truly are crap techs, training is not the be all and end all of what it takes to be good/bad, but its a good place to start, and personally I would start with the best I can get my hands on.

I really advise you to train with a better company, you really need to be in a classroom so you actually be shown how to do it. It really isn't the same as watching videos. Doing a nice set of enhancements looks easy but it really isn't.
I've used some of the Edge products and they really aren't great (haven't heard of the other one) it's definitely worth saving up a bit and doing training on a proper course with a respected company ;)

I would of loved to train with Cnd but my funds was low and I didn't have the time to take to go travel to do a course so I had to settle for en...yes sometimes I wish I had waited and spent ages saving up but the en course suits me as I'd have to travel miles away if I wanted to do a Cnd course.

Thanks for the comments, i have tried to look for courses near me but for some reason they all end up in London and i cant take the time off work to go on the courses, i wish i had done it at college but now i am 20 i have to pay and i need my job for the money.

i am going to try and maybe see about Capital hair and beauty courses where some off them are in Norwich and are reasonable price for what i want to do in this industry.

thanks

why not try looking into ITEC at one of your local colleges? They do a very good nail art course where you can learn manicure and pedicure too. Also, I thought i'd mention, some colleges do evening courses too. BUT the biggest benefit you have from being 20 is the brilliant government initiative of NEETs (not in education, earning or training) where you can learn for free, I'm not saying you should start lying about your employment, but if you do enough digging there are so many things out there for people under 24. Or speak to someone at the Prince's Trust??

Forgot to mention - London is easy to get to and a lot of courses are only part time anyway xx

Please don't make the same mistake I did I bought the essential nails acrylic course what a waste of my hard earned money ! :( the techniques used were really out dated this still tech you to etch the nail which Is damaging to the nail there were just areas which I felt were completly wrong .... The DVD was completly old school looked like it was filmed in the 80's and the test questions are not always clear I would advise to go on a course like CND where u get face to face tuition this is just from personal experiance good luck x

Latest posts

Back