Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caths nails

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just wondered what your opinion was on continued training. Of course I know you never stop learning but I'm the kind of person that needs to get one thing well and truly right before moving on to something else. So I'm a bit confused as to when to take the next step. I have only been working for myself for a while and still trying to build a good client base, so the extra expense of learning other systems is a bit out of my reach at the moment :eek: At the same time I don't want to be left behind by the salons around that seem to offer so many choices its hard to keep up.
Any help will be really appreciated.
Thanks a million
Cath :)

I am all for continued training, but I understand that it seems expensive, especially if you're just starting out. If you prefer to do one thing well, why not master the current system that you use by doing more training until you feel confident that your skiils are a reasonable level. That way you don't need to worry too much about your competition as you'll know that you can indeed offer an excellent service in your chosen system, then add more services and training as you progress.
As has been said loads of times on this site, if you want to be successful at what you do then training is a must.:)

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I feel better about the way I'm working now. Could I please ask for some help!! I had a client on saturday for tips and all went well, or so I thought. She called me this morning to say that one is off completely and the others are all lifting underneath :cry: What do you think I may have done wrong? I've had 3 clients for tips last week and no one has had a problem. I really need to know asap as she's coming back tomorrow.
Thanks again

What clients do to their nails when they leave the salon is up to them. If they have loads of problems and your other clients do not then let them know their responsibilities. read below.

CLIENT RESPONSIBILITY

One of the things I note in posts continuously here on the nail geek, are questions and comments relating to complaints from clients about the (bad) condition of their enhancements when they return for maintenance. Another hot topic concerns clients who complain when they suffer breakages or other damage between appointments.

Now we all have a majority of happy clients who return regularly for maintenance with no damage or major problems and who accept responsibility for the condition of their nails … and then there are the few who always return for maintenance with one or two broken nails and other damage and who want to put the blame on to you.

How many of you actually make a point of handing the responsibility for the care and maintenance of their enhancements to your clients??

I know we all say the odd thing like ‘nails are jewels not tools’ and hand out a client aftercare leaflet BUT I think we need to make a deliberate effort to do more. We need to MAKE clients realize that the condition of their enhancements once they leave the salon is up to them … it is their responsibility to take a little care and to give a little attention everyday to their investment in artificial nail services.

For a start, they need to have the point s driven home that:
  • The enhancements are artificial!!! They may not feel it, they may not look it but they are and they need to remember it.
  • That although much stronger than natural nails, they should not be treated as if they are and used/abused by the wearer in any other way than they would use them if they were real.
  • That their enhancements are PLASTIC and need to be moisturised on a daily basis if they want them to not get brittle which will lead to breakage.
  • That they should not wear them at a longer length than they would wear their own nails if they were natural.
  • That they should in fact THINK about their nails and not take them for granted.
  • That in fact it is THEIR responsibility once they leave the salon to do so because if they do not, YOU will not be made responsible for the consequences.

Whenever there are 2 pilots flying a plane .. a pilot and co-pilot … one NEVER hands over control of the plane to the other without deliberately doing so by saying, “YOU HAVE THE CONTROL”.. the co-pilot always acknowledges by saying, “I HAVE THE CONTROL”

I think we need to educate all clients by making a deliberate act of handing over the control of what happens to the enhancements to the client when she leaves the nail desk. It is up to her how her nails will last and whether or not she will be a successful wearer of enhanced nails or not. Maybe then clients would have more realistic expectations than they do at present where they seem to think they should be indestructible.

What do you tell your clients?

Hi Geeg
Thanks for the great reply. I do exactly what you advised but with some clients its like hitting your head against a brick wall. The usual reply is " I know i should have looked after them better but , blah blah blah" My concern is that if they think that enhancements done by me don't last, what will they tell friends etc?
I will still continue to do the best job I can and hope that the message gets across.
Cheers

Great answer Geeg, i have actually made a point of saying this to all my clients who tend to think that their nails are indestructable. It's funny but it really works when you make it clear that you aren't the one who looks after them 24/7, they are!

It certainly makes sure thy know where they stand with their nails and then they don;t think any little blip is down to you. Thankfully, most of my clients are honest and tell me if they have done something, mainly because i can tell by looking if it was something i had done. We just know don't we girls.:)

Hi Geeg
Thanks for the great reply. I do exactly what you advised but with some clients its like hitting your head against a brick wall. The usual reply is " I know i should have looked after them better but , blah blah blah" My concern is that if they think that enhancements done by me don't last, what will they tell friends etc?
I will still continue to do the best job I can and hope that the message gets across.
Cheers

If they are saying that then they are admitting that the problems are from them.

If your enhencements are not lasting well for all your clients, then that is down to you, but if it is just the odd one who always has the breaks etc then that is down to them and I do not think one or two like this will ruin your reputation.

Latest posts

Back