Tramadol and kidney stones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arianne 5

Reaction score
:cry: Am at my wits end have had kidney stones for past 18 months, have had lithotripsy several times been admitted to hospital twice on morphine for renal colic am waiting for surgery at bristol never ending. Now my gp has prescriped me tramadol but warned me they have the same effect as morphine which spins you out but gets rid of the pain. Has anyone taken these and how was it , am thinking about going private just want the stones out and to feel well thanks for hearing my moan :lol: Michelle

Hi ya Chick - i knwo just how you feel - i had kidney stomes at 20 and 28 weeks pregnant, and was admitted for a week at a time, i was just given pethadine and co-dydromol as i couldnt have anything stronger cos of the pregnancy,
all i know about tramadol is that is is morphine derived, my friend takes it as she has ulcerative colitus, she only takes them when she really really has too as they do leave her feeling zonked out, and the next day she feels all over the place, they do kill the pain but you do feel that you are permently tripping out, they can be addictive.
although with kidney stones i know that you will do absolutely anything to get rid of that pain!
I really feel for you hun

vicky x

Vicky have you still got your stones or did you pass them wish i could ,least i know then the pain is doing something:lol:

ill PM you hun xxx

Hi
I am sorry to hear you are suffering and I hope it is resolved for you quickly. I have 2 discs that are ruptured in my back and am on the emergency surgery list for laminectomy and discectomy after 20 years of saying I wouldn't have anything done. I take voltarol ( orally or suppositories )and solpadol. I have Tramadol too and you are right it is morphine based and it is harsh. I find I don't get agreat deal more pain relief from it but I do feel like I have done 10 rounds with Tyson and don't know if I am Arthur or Martha for 24 hours afterwards either.
So you will have to weigh up the pro's of a little more pain relief with the con's of feeling awful. I know a few people on this too for different things and we all seem to suffer the same side effects.
Good luck:hug:

I had tramadol for my back problem but found that the side effects were worse than the pain I was in. I ended up at the emergency docs after taking just one tablet. I had chest pains and stomache pains as well as feeling sick and tired.

There are loads more painkillers out there that can help, without sending you into a tizz, it's just a case of trying them to see what helps you.

I have to take anti-emetics with any drug i take as they all seem to make me feel so sick, currently I have amyltriptaline (Muscle relaxant), Oxycontin (Painkiller), Diazepam (Muscle relazant), Domperidone (anti sickness) and good ole paracetomol. All of them make me sleepy and when I take two together they knock me out completely so I have to be careful. You can also get morphine patches, these release a small amount through the skin and because its such a small amount you dont really get side effects, these patches last for 7 days too. They didnt work for me as I needed a big hit of painrelief in one go so Oxycontin were best as they too are a slow release tablet but they take the edge off the pain within 30 mins.

Hope you find something that helps you soon, it's horrible being in pain constantly.

Rachel xxxx

:cry: Am at my wits end have had kidney stones for past 18 months, have had lithotripsy several times been admitted to hospital twice on morphine for renal colic am waiting for surgery at bristol never ending. Now my gp has prescriped me tramadol but warned me they have the same effect as morphine which spins you out but gets rid of the pain. Has anyone taken these and how was it , am thinking about going private just want the stones out and to feel well thanks for hearing my moan :lol: Michelle

Just been diagnosed last weekend, its soooooo bad the pain, how do you cope? is the lemonade thing true?

Oh your poor things kidney stones are awfully painful. I was prescribed cocodamol and tablets that helped your tract that you urinate from to widen a bit to give the kidney stones a chance to pass.

So many people struggle with tramadol :(

Hope you get some relief soon ladies xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you can get dihydrocodine or cocodamol instead then do. I have had all of them and the side affects of tramadol are not worth the benefits. I would sleep like a baby after taking them but the entire next day id be essentially a zombie. I could barely walk across the room. There are much better pain med options.

I've recently had gallstones and my gallbladder removed. While I was pregnant I was prescribed codeine and nothing stronger. After pregnancy I was given tramadol for the pain but I only took it during severe attacks which was fine for me as it was so painful I didn't care less about the side effects. I wouldn't want to be on it all the time though.

I really feel for you. I was in such horrendous pain, my consultant said kidney stones are even more painful. My brother had suffered from them in the past and I'd not wish that pain on anyone.

All you can really do is try them and see what you think and try and outweigh the benefits against the cons xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had kidney stones, didn't know I had it until it decided to pass while I was at college! I felt sick then all faint and suddenly was in so much pain in my back I think I couldn't walk or sit or lie down. My science teacher looked less worried and said I might have kidney stones, my friends drive me to a&e and was given morphene and an xray, they confirmed it and said the worst was over and that when I went to the toilet in the morning it would be there, and it was one rice grain sized stone. All that pain and it was all for that! Iv given birth and that was less painful!!

You have my sympathies, it is the worst pain ever. I had kidney stones when I was 10 and the doctors didn't believe me, said I was just trying it on! I am now 42 and can still remember the pain clearly! My husband broke his leg a few years ago and he was changed onto Tramadol as the first pain killer he was sent home with was also morphine based didn't agree with him but Tramadol did but it did zap him. What I would say is speak to your GP as there are alternative painkillers. I really hope you get it sorted out soon. X

I had tramadol for a broken rib but after a day or 2 I couldn't bear the effects, completely knocked me out :(
I had paracetamol instead.
Hope you get sorted :)

I had tramadol once when I had my tonsils out and it made me throw up all the time I could hardly walk lol. Had to stop taking it after a couple of days.

The second time I was given it was when I had wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic and although I didn't puke i slept for hours on end.

I don't think I had any bad side effects from tramadol. Apart from the first time, I took one (half the dose) and thought this is rubbish! Took another and couldn't move! Couldn't speak or anything. Saw random colours and had hallucinations. I'd get a tramadol hangover but no worse than a headache hangover.

It is VERY addictive and totally not a joy to come off of. Same with codeine. The headache was beyond anything I could ever describe!x

Tramadol is nasty stuff. I ended up passing out after taking two. I felt out of it for four days and couldn't stop being sick. Made me forget about my abcess which was right up to my eye socket at filling my mouth with gunk though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I must be immune to tramadol as i had no side effects at all haha some right horror stories on here about it x

Hi, I had a kidney infection and was admitted to hospital after the docs had let it go undiagnosed for 8 weeks by the time I reached hospital I was in a bad way, after IV antibiotics for 3 weeks ( had to have a line fitted in theatre so I could be treated at home anyway it's been 3 years now and it's left me with several problems and am due back into hospital on the 24th February for an op. (I will get to the point) I took tramadol for 2 yrs 8 tablets a day, they are a very good pain killer but they do have side effects like any medication and everyone is different. I moved on then to morphine which I've taken for the past 12 months and I have far more side effects with morphine than tramadol. No pain killer is good for you but unfortunately if you have pain or long term pain then it's an option. After my op on the 24th I will go back onto tramadol as for me I get on with it far better than morphine. All I'm saying is no one can say if a pain killer will make you feel bad unfortunately you have to try it to find out and it can take a few days to get over initial side effects but for anyone with pain issues you have my sympathy it is a daily struggle xxx

Latest posts

Back