Treatment of self employed therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjo

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I need to vent over how us therapist are treated by business owners.

very few salons where I live seem to want to employ therapists, they are all wanting self employed.
I have been self employed for 6 years and its really hard when your a single mum as you have no idea what money will come in from one month to the next, i was earning 45% of my takings which isn't so bad, but obviously no clients no money.

I recently started working at a salon, when I went to the interview i was advised that although I would be on a self employed basis i would be paid £8.75 an hour, and that they were a very fair salon, all seemed good.

A month down the line and it appears that if we don't have any clients booked in we either come in late (when the clients are in) or go home early, which means i am only paid when I have clients, this means that my £8.75 per hour is actually really bad, also if we have an hour gap or more we don't get paid.

Yesterday I got told not to come in til 2 but then at 11 get a message saying can i come in ASAP, which I ignored. There are 2 other young newly qualified therapists there and they seem to scared to say no.

For example an hours full body massage is £40 i get paid £8.75 where as before it would have been £18.00.

Im now on the hunt again.

Does anyone else have similar experience

If you're self employed you shouldn't be on an hourly rate, sounds like they want the benefits of only paying staff £8.25 ph but don't want to deal with tax/NI/Pensions. Employers can't have their cake and eat it these days.

If you're self employed you shouldn't be on an hourly rate, sounds like they want the benefits of only paying staff £8.25 ph but don't want to deal with tax/NI/Pensions. Employers can't have their cake and eat it these days.

Yes I do think they are taking advantage

Take a job somewhere else and pay rent ?

I’m resigning today, normally I would do it by email but I don’t have an email address, how wrong do you think it would be to resign by WhatsApp???

Why did you accept the hourly rate initially? They won’t see you as self employed if you do that

I’m resigning today, normally I would do it by email but I don’t have an email address, how wrong do you think it would be to resign by WhatsApp???
Can’t you hand in a letter and just tell them in person?

I resigned and got this reply
Hi
Could you let us have our uniform back ASAP please.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back