Treatments and products from back in the day thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misseden

Reaction score
I have decided to start this thread just for a bit of fun really. Its to reminisce from years gone by treatments and products that were the in thing. So, for me starting out as a 15 year old saturday girl in 1997 the salon i worked in we had toning tables, i thought these were immense state of the art pieces of equipment, we had decleor which to me was like wow this is different to my mams blue tub of nivea. We also had body wraps which i use have to individually wrap each bandage and place in a drawer ready for the therapist. We also had several lie down sunbeds which i had unlimited free use of. Would never do that now! What does everyone else remember?

I remember the days of American body wraps...horrible old stinky bandages left in a metal container.....the the body suit afterwards.....they were a load of rubbish,but the clients were convinced they would come in a size 14 and leave a size 8

Surely if you want to see beauty treatments as they were done back in the day, all you need to do is go to your local college! Only kidding...��

Surely if you want to see beauty treatments as they were done back in the day, all you need to do is go to your local college! Only kidding...😜

Omg that is so true.

College treatments and salon treatments can be worlds apart!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Not really a treatment but with hair the in thing used to be blonde on top dark underneath with big fat stripes, thinned right out and no eyebrows. This is how me and my friends wanted to look in the late 90s/early 2000's. When I just started out in the industry. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1423392250.245976.jpg

Omg yes striped hair and the good old rachel cut! I saw something else about tooth gems on here. How i loved a little tooth gem! Who remembers when "stand up sunbeds" came out? Where i live every salon had them and every free paper had a voucher where you could have 6 minutes free to try them out in various different salons. So of course everyone saved there vouchers and had a lot of free sunbeds. There were some funny old shades of red walking round my town. We also had revlon nail polish at college then we upgraded to jessica and i fell in love with their cherrywood colour. We also had a caci machine at college and i remember saying that it was "just for old people". Old people being 30 plus. Whoops i am now officially an old person. And lets not forget the invention of the spray tan! I use to love perfecting that 45 minute treatment that came out of a vibrating box with what looked like a pen attached to the top. Took ages to spray anyone over 6 stone and i use to walk out of the room complete with ventilation face mask and a cloud of tan behind me, looking totally like someone from a rave :Scared:

Yes I remember when stand up sun beds came out and used to use them. The shop was called Fahrenheit and all the "cool" people used it ha ha. Also does anyone remember "chocolate head" but tigi. Can't remember what it did think it was a protein treatment. I also remember when ghd and kodo straighteners came out. Xx

Yessssssss chocolate head i use to love that. Who remembers tigi straight talk? It was my essential product. Oh yes ghd's best invention by far

Who remembers the coloured hair mascara that was suppose to streak hair and top up roots!!!

I remember manual tanning, we trained with st tropez... At 17/18 years old scrubbing, moisturising & tanning another woman's boobs was not the highlight of my day!

The poor clients use to get 2 students working on them & leave like they had been playing rugby on a muddy pitch. How glamorous!

Also had to get my ears pierced for a 3rd time (no choice) if 2 of my fellow students wanted to pass the ear piercing...(id already had 1st & 2nd piercings by choice years before).

Having bright red & blonde hair (red underneath) & washing each section separately so it wouldn't run in to your bleach blonde.

Also ironing hair straight before a night out... ;)

Rimmel lipstick... Birthday suit & a lovely dark brown lipliner, there was another one something shimmer that I also use to love.

Ooo yes thin eyebrows too.

How lovely!

Xx

I remember manual tanning, we trained with st tropez... At 17/18 years old scrubbing, moisturising & tanning another woman's boobs was not the highlight of my day!

The poor clients use to get 2 students working on them & leave like they had been playing rugby on a muddy pitch. How glamorous!

Also had to get my ears pierced for a 3rd time (no choice) if 2 of my fellow students wanted to pass the ear piercing...(id already had 1st & 2nd piercings by choice years before).

Having bright red & blonde hair (red underneath) & washing each section separately so it wouldn't run in to your bleach blonde.

Also ironing hair straight before a night out... ;)

Rimmel lipstick... Birthday suit & a lovely dark brown lipliner, there was another one something shimmer that I also use to love.

Ooo yes thin eyebrows too.

How lovely!

Xx

Heather shimmer :D

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah what a great thread! Haha heather shimmer (& coffee shimmer were the most popular shades of lippy!) & not to forget exclamation & dewberry perfumes, we were the height of fashion at college (with our white clogs on!!) don't you know!!

hahahahahahaha this is hilarious. was gunna say about hair mascara! and yes clogs! omg the clogs how could i forget! manual st tropez- mentally scarred forever! when you had to buff it and it was like an hour and a half treatment. who also remembers the little electric block you put on your face for toning? it sort of electrocuted your muscles and made you look like you'd had a stroke. so pleased things have moved on!

My Rimmel shade of choice was Black Cherry, anyone remember that?

When I very, very first started working in a salon - this is gross - we used to strain the wax to remove the hair so we could reuse it. I did say it was gross!

SJK - Same here regarding the wax & straining out the hairs to re-use!:eek:
I was a trainee then & it must have been the thing to do back in the day.
(I must add that I do not do that now!)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

yep we use to strain the wax aswell then we went upmarket with the clean and easy system that you just use to surgical spirit the heads with. how were these things allowed please

My first straighteners were white babyliss steam ones and you had to the fill the blue cartridge with water 😆 I thought they were amazing but all they did was frizz my hair!

Roll on body glitter was a fave amongst us too. Aswell as coloured mascara.

Heather shimmer :D

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Haha this is brilliant!!! They still do heather shimmer!!!

What a out no 7 body tint that was like black coffee that you applied with cotton wool?

My first straighteners were white babyliss steam ones and you had to the fill the blue cartridge with water 😆 I thought they were amazing but all they did was frizz my hair!

Roll on body glitter was a fave amongst us too. Aswell as coloured mascara.

Oh brilliant i do remember my babyliss with the blue plates..

Remember when everyone went mad for Futura Straigtners !!!

Latest posts

Back