treatments for mentally handicapped clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisalooby

Reaction score
Hi there

I just wondered if there is anyone out there that can advise me on the above topic. My problem is that a client, who was mentally disabled came for a lip wax. She was clearly not able to give her consent but her mother had wanted the carers to bring her. My employee is a former care worker and has a friend still in that field who has said that this can be classed as abuse or assault.

Can anyone clarify the position for me.

P.s. I know its short notice but she is due in again this Thursday!!!

Thanks

Lisa:cry:

that's a bit of a toughy Lisa...
is your perspective client able to let you know if she wants the treatment? has she had it done before?
could you contact your Social Services department to find out their opinion on it before going ahead?

The issue of mentally/physically disabled customers came up on my Indian Head Massage course earlier this year.

We were told to always obtain the signature of the carer or guardian on the client consultation forms, and to ensure the treatment was carried out in view of the person who signed the form.

I'm assuming your consultation form asks if the client has had the treatment before, and if they experienced any problems/side effects/etc.

Once the consultation is completed you'll have a better feel about whether or not to do the treatment.

If warning bells are sounding and you are not comfortable then don't do it. If she has had the treatment before without any issues then I'm assuming you'll feel more confident to continue.

I can't see it becoming an issue of abuse if you have a signed consent form.

I have done waxing on a mentally handicapped client, with her mothers perrmission. How servere is her handicap? If she wasn't able to understand what was going on I would think twice. I she is able to understand I would talk to her and tell her it'll be like having a bandaid ripped off. Even if she has had it done before I think it would make her more comfortable if you explained to her.

Difficult one ~ personally I dont think I would go ahead with a waxing treatment if the client can comprehend or understand. Facial waxing does smart and you dont know how the client will re-act to the pain. I would feel differently about a treatment like massage which the client can enjoy even if they dont comprehend but facial waxing isnt the most pleasant thing to have done.
If you do go ahead make sure you do a full consultation and get the Carers signature on a consent form and that the carer remains with the client for the duration of the treatment.

Lisalooby said:
Hi there

I just wondered if there is anyone out there that can advise me on the above topic. My problem is that a client, who was mentally disabled came for a lip wax. She was clearly not able to give her consent but her mother had wanted the carers to bring her. My employee is a former care worker and has a friend still in that field who has said that this can be classed as abuse or assault.

Can anyone clarify the position for me.

P.s. I know its short notice but she is due in again this Thursday!!!

Thanks

Lisa:cry:

my problem with this is who wants her to have the treatment????
If she dosn't comprehend then obviously its for the mothers benefit which i don't agree with.
I would not do it if the client did not comprehend what was happening. I feel it would be un ethical
the best people to advise i think would be a firm like dial. they are in the phonebook:green:

I have performed waxing on a mentally disabled person and I had her mothers signature. If you're ever unsure you could always contact your local social services and also contact your insurance company..... I would also always get a doctors note.....

As the sister of a mentaly disabled person (he died in january) I wouldn't entertain the idea of waxing somebody unless they could convay that this is what they wanted. Why did these mothers want there daughters waxed? I hope it wasn't to make them more socialy acceptable. I also work with mentaly ill adults and during our training we were taught that even if its for there own good (e.g taking medication)then it can be classed as abuse if something is done to them that they haven't given permission for. I have to say I feel strongly that treating your client because their carer wants it to happen is not acceptable.

I am not qualified to wax but I would feel really uncomfortable providing a service to someone who could not convey their feelings about the treatment - and I think it is awful that the mother wants this done.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't do it. With consent or not, what right of it is a carers to sign something on behalf of the client? What business of theirs is it that the woman has more hair that is deemed acceptable, on her lip?? BUT, if you don't do it... they could take her along to someone who hasn't got the morals and the concerns you have, which could end up leaving the client frightened or traumatised by the procedure.

I could understand if it were to be given medication or something vital - but how vital is a lip wax to someone who clearly has no concept of hair on their lip in the first place??

I agree with another poster, if you do go ahead and do this.. you need to make the client really comfortable and at ease and try and explain as best you can. It also depends on the severity of the mental illness or disability.

i work in a house with adults with learning disabilities and mental health, and it is in house policy....no matter what.....if the client says no, thats it.
they have choice and it is their right to have control no matter what. even if it is medication, you can try to encourage them, you can explain the consequences to a particular action they are wanting to do, but at the end of the day its their choice.

cover yourself with consent forms, and make sure a carer or relative is present, explain to the client as simply as poss the procedure, and if they can mark the consent form also, a squiggle is fine.

also i would ask for a list of meds they may be on, if not a doctors note to say treatment is ok, and then and only then, if they agree ok, but if not don't go there.

remember the client may hit out as challenging behaviour may be a big issue.

hope this helps....

Latest posts

Back