Treatments you can offer on a boat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samantha2033

Reaction score
Hi
I’m 34 and in 14yrs myself & my husband want to sail around the world!! I’m thinking of ways to make a small income when we go into marinas. I am currently qualified in Swedish/aromatherapy massage & reflexology but i don’t actually work in those areas atm & I’m thinking will I want to at 48. Space on the boat to keep equipment will be a major factor & shelf life of products. I’m really interested in nails but I’m thinking it isn’t a one off treatment, you need infills in a few wks & what if you want them taking off etc, I can’t promisie I’ll be anywhere long enough to see customers for 2nd visits etc. Hairdressing, waxing, beauty treatments? Any advice would be great - thanks
Sam

I am not normally stuck for a solution for the various predicaments we find ourselves in , but I am sorry to say how tricky it may be.
Yes I think at 48 you will want to work in your chosen field, as there are plenty of us old uns that do.
What you offer can be one off treatments, beauty is not normally. Epecially if you aren't established in a marina for any length of time. What would be the point for the client ? However these could work as one offs in addition to the massage/ reflex you currently do.
Manicures , yes , but not gels,
Pedicures, yes.
luxury facials , yes.
Hairdressing , cut and blow dry , yes.

Waxing , I should imagine that the hair growth will have been considered well before the trips and they may well have had laser anyway.

May I point out that as my sis lives in France there are laws regarding income tax which are not as favourable to the entrepreneur as here in the uk.
So it will deffo be worth checking on all the ports and marinas regarding paid work.

Hope that your plans go well.

I would try something else, I had an English teacher in Italy who was travelling the world teaching English, if you are not good in grammar people pay very well for conversation classes, I can only imagine how nice it would be having a conversation class in a boat over a glass of wine!!
Good luck

I have a friend who did this with her husband for a few years.
Sadly, now he’s 80 with heart problems, they’ve reluctantly decided to sell their boat but they’ve travelled all over the world on it.

My friend is a very good seamstress and her husband was an engineer by profession so they were pretty self sufficient but I remember her saying that occasionally she did basic upholstery repairs (curtains and cushions) for fellow travellers.

First of all it is such an exciting venture! You must be so excited! (envy) :)
I am thinking of space and ease of the treatment and do you think a lash lift could work? The kit is very space efficient so it will fit snug in a small beauty case and it is relatively easy to learn and do but the treatment outcome is amazing and very graphic x

Hi
I’m 34 and in 14yrs myself & my husband want to sail around the world!! I’m thinking of ways to make a small income when we go into marinas. I am currently qualified in Swedish/aromatherapy massage & reflexology but i don’t actually work in those areas atm & I’m thinking will I want to at 48. Space on the boat to keep equipment will be a major factor & shelf life of products. I’m really interested in nails but I’m thinking it isn’t a one off treatment, you need infills in a few wks & what if you want them taking off etc, I can’t promisie I’ll be anywhere long enough to see customers for 2nd visits etc. Hairdressing, waxing, beauty treatments? Any advice would be great - thanks
Sam

Sounds fantastic! Ive often considered it myself! Dreams <3

Massage is going to be your best bet of course for space as you only need your couch and oil.

Having a couch that folds down from a wall would be really cool so it’s out the way for other stuff. Like a Murphy desk.

Lash lifting is super minimal, just needs cotton pads, lash kit and tint and developer, micro brushes. I fit all of my lash kit into a makeup brush tin.

People get nails done on holiday all the time, they get them taken off when they get back so it’s an option but space not so much. My nails stuff takes up so much room (though can all be on shelves with big lips to avoid them getting knocked over).

Hi,
Thank you everyone for the great ideas, I’ve been thinking lots about what I enjoy to do & what I’m good at - I always come back to ‍♀️ massage
I need to stop thinking I’ll be too old at 48!! I need to get my table out and start practicing again!!

What a fantastic adventure. I did the sailing bit for a year but not the treatments...
I think massage & reflexology would be perfect! Someone has mentioned the lash lift and tint, this would be a winner as no follow up appointment needed.
Good luck. X

Latest posts

Back