Trichotillomania colouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss lottie

Reaction score
Hi I have a client with Trhiotillmania , she is wanting her hair coloured as particularly bad during lock down - any advice on how I can make this better for her ?? And thoughts on colouring x

I know a thing or 2 about trichotillomania. In my personal opinion I wouldn't colour her. Trichotillomania is an obsessive compulsive disorder that leads to someone ripping their hair out. I would be concerned over the possibilities of broken skin on her scalp. Definately get her in for a consultation prior to applying colour.

Yes that was my worry too , she is coming in today so I can give it a good look over x
If we do go ahead with colour tho do you have any advice ?? My thinking was something gentle ( Demi ) x

Look the hair can be fragile. I am still in training (although a lot of experience) however I am an extentionist and have had my fair share of Trichotillomania clients for extentions. It really depends on the severity. If you can foil that keeps the colour of the scalp for the majorityy of the time. I don't know your clients clients hair however if her hair feels okay it's still normal hair. If the elasticity is terrible treat it as such. If the integrity of the hair is fine then treat it as such. If the scalp is damaged avoid colour. If a client has cuts on their scalp then it's safe to say that any colour should be avoided on anyebrassions even if it was your typical client. If they have no ebrassions on their partline you could do that while the rest of the scalp is healed.

Just break it down like any other consultation. Don't over think it. Back in our studies we are taught to analyse the scalp to determine if it's safe to colour the hair. Don't look at them as a trichotillomania client. Look at them as a client and tick off your mental check box.

I hope this helps.

Look the hair can be fragile. I am still in training (although a lot of experience) however I am an extentionist and have had my fair share of Trichotillomania clients for extentions. It really depends on the severity. If you can foil that keeps the colour of the scalp for the majorityy of the time. I don't know your clients clients hair however if her hair feels okay it's still normal hair. If the elasticity is terrible treat it as such. If the integrity of the hair is fine then treat it as such. If the scalp is damaged avoid colour. If a client has cuts on their scalp then it's safe to say that any colour should be avoided on anyebrassions even if it was your typical client. If they have no ebrassions on their partline you could do that while the rest of the scalp is healed.

Just break it down like any other consultation. Don't over think it. Back in our studies we are taught to analyse the scalp to determine if it's safe to colour the hair. Don't look at them as a trichotillomania client. Look at them as a client and tick off your mental check box.

I hope this helps.

This was a brilliant reply thanks you so much

Latest posts

Back