Trouble applying white gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmelissa

Reaction score
I only qualified a few months ago and have stuck to practising on friends and family while I gain my confidence. I've done all of my daughters' nails a few times and felt better each time - but I struggled last night! One of my daughters has clear acrylic extensions which I then polish with Glitterbels gel polish. Every colour I've used has always come out beautifully. But last night she asked for white Christmas nails. I did everything the same as always and shook the white Glitterbels polish thoroughly before I started... but it was a nightmare to apply and looked so streaky. Even after 4 coats there was still a little streakiness!

Is white polish particularly difficult - or was it just me? :confused:

I don't usually use a base coat on top of acrylic - but should I have done this time?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for how I could have done a better job. Thank you.

White is a nightmare, blinking stuff does my head in 😆 o_O

Several thin coats is usually the answer and somehow miraculously it always looks better once the top coat goes on.

Welcome to the wonderful, frustrating world of nails :p

Thank you! You've made me feel loads better! :)

I only qualified a few months ago and have stuck to practising on friends and family while I gain my confidence. I've done all of my daughters' nails a few times and felt better each time - but I struggled last night! One of my daughters has clear acrylic extensions which I then polish with Glitterbels gel polish. Every colour I've used has always come out beautifully. But last night she asked for white Christmas nails. I did everything the same as always and shook the white Glitterbels polish thoroughly before I started... but it was a nightmare to apply and looked so streaky. Even after 4 coats there was still a little streakiness!

Is white polish particularly difficult - or was it just me? :confused:

I don't usually use a base coat on top of acrylic - but should I have done this time?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for how I could have done a better job. Thank you.

Rather than painting it on top of the nail try gliding from the free edge side to side. Or from each side to the centre so it’s a v then join them. If you have a base coat or clear coat you can keep practicing and wiping til you get it.

There’s no secret, just practice. I’m clumsy af so I’ve no doubt you will get there:)

Rather than painting it on top of the nail try gliding from the free edge side to side. Or from each side to the centre so it’s a v then join them. If you have a base coat or clear coat you can keep practicing and wiping til you get it.

There’s no secret, just practice. I’m clumsy af so I’ve no doubt you will get there:)

Thank you very much! I'll give those techniques a try :)

Heavily pigmented white gel will sink to the bottom of the bottle. Try using a thin metal stirrer to scrape the white off the bottom and up into the body.

I never rely on shaking gel, I always stir. James would be appalled!

Heavily pigmented white gel will sink to the bottom of the bottle. Try using a thin metal stirrer to scrape the white off the bottom and up into the body.

I never rely on shaking gel, I always stir. James would be appalled!
Haha! OK thank you, I'll try that

I'm qualified in gel only, not acrylic so not sure how much use this will be... but whenever I use white now, I use a white builder gel first and then I only need one layer of white gel polish. Most of my clients have a builder layer now, so it was really easy to include this step. I suppose this would work the same if you use white acrylic?

Latest posts

Back