Trouble with an unreliable regular.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a client who has been a regular for about 3 years, she is a very nice lady. However, she leads a somewhat frantic lifestyle and keeps forgetting to show up for her appointments lately. Out of the last 8 appointments she has forgotten five of them.

She was due at 11.00 this morning. :irked: I feel like not phoning her and just being fully booked when she calls. But she is nice. I'm just tired of being messed around. I'd even made her tea for her. Bah! Would she mess a salon around as much?

Do you know what Blossom she must have a double as I have a client exactly the same, it came to a head a couple of months ago she sent a txt to cancel the third appointment in a week that I had shifted others around to fit her in with only 30 min`s notice and had been doing this on and off for a couple of years( I always txt her the day before as I do with a few) I was so cross I sent a polite but firm txt back saying that I couldn't fit her in for 2 weeks now as I wasn't prepared to ask other clients to change times & dates to suit her. She didn't respond .... until I got a txt some weeks later at 8.30 pm saying she was going abroad next day would I please do her nails. I thought she had got the message so I did an early morn 8.00 am. Turned out she had had her nails done the day she txt me at a local salon "they were awful" she said so I ripped them off ! I then told her that cancellations would incur a £5 charge as from my new price list Nov 07.

She had an appointment today at 12.30 pm guess what "SHE CANCELED" at 11.30 am.

She has re booked for next week (I know I'm a fool) but I did stress the charge would be added to her next appointment. If she cancels this one I will definitely strike her from my diary ! Well I certainly got that off my chest.

How do you guys actually enforce your charges??

For instance, a complete random walks in off the street / calls to make an appt, but never shows, this has happened a few times to me, and more often than not its someone that has gone to my local nss, then come into me complaining that they hate their nails, want them soaked off - but never show. :irked:

How would you deal with that? or actually get the money for the appt?

I have a cancellation fee of 100%... I did this 3-4 years ago when I was SO tired of people not showing up. I made a sign with an explanation of WHY I needed the money (I would sit with no client, loosing my salary and work extra to fit them in again) and put it on my desk. When people read it they all agreed and said they understood. There are still some people who miss their appointment, but they all know they have to pay full price and nobody "fight" about it. (Full price for reballance p/w with me is 85 pound... :eek:)

C.

I have a cancellation fee of 100%... I did this 3-4 years ago when I was SO tired of people not showing up. I made a sign with an explanation of WHY I needed the money (I would sit with no client, loosing my salary and work extra to fit them in again) and put it on my desk. When people read it they all agreed and said they understood. There are still some people who miss their appointment, but they all know they have to pay full price and nobody "fight" about it. (Full price for reballance p/w with me is 85 pound... :eek:)

C.
£85.....i am moving to norway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxx

Just to update, she phoned this evening, really apologetic, I have fitted her in next week and she took me up on my offer of a reminder call . . . this will iron out the problem I should think :green:

Just to update, she phoned this evening, really apologetic, I have fitted her in next week and she took me up on my offer of a reminder call . . . this will iron out the problem I should think :green:

I don't think it's a great idea offering to ring clients for a reminder. Does your hairdresser or dentist or doctor ring you up the night before to remind you that you have an appointment?
And it's another added expense.
Make sure all your clients own a calendar and write down the appointments or a diary. Get them to set a reminder on their mobile phone maybe?
Maybe a calendar would make good Christmas pressies for some clients....not sure if Vistaprint do one??
It is just rude and bad mannered to "forget" appointments on a regular basis. We all have busy lives but it shouldn't be an excuse for rudeness.
Hope you manage to sort the problem mate, be firm but polite x

Sorry ladygemini, but making her wait and walk the streets for 4 days and show off crappy nails (that are attributed to you, as her nail tech) could have lost you clients. Potential clients may have seen here nails and asked her who did them? ..... not because they wanted to go to her tech, but because they wanted to know who to avoid.

I would have pulled her in on a Sunday and charged her a weekend surcharge (which I offer), but thats what I would have done (in fact i'm doing it this Sunday) I hate doing it, but when I go home after an hour and a half with a wad of cash, (double what i would normally make in that time) that kinda makes up for it.

We are all different and have different solutions, but i prefer to offer solutions that may benefit me in the long run.

The thing that upsets me the most about cancellations is the fact they may have to go up to a week before I can get them in again ....... every client is a walking advertisement/billboard of your work and ability, if you inconvenience them, you may just be cutting off your nose to ......... (you know the drill).
I really do support you in your decision here Rachel. Carl, some of us don't have the luxury of working weekends, let alone Sundays because the client can't be arsed!

A high street salon has it's opening hours and a client can not get an appointment out of salon hours, however tends to pay more than a home based tech. A home based tech, as in Rachel's case, charges less, but must accept being messed about :rolleyes:?

I would have done what you did Rach. At the end of the day, out of work hours are committed to family time, and rightly so.

I don't think it's a great idea offering to ring clients for a reminder. Does your hairdresser or dentist or doctor ring you up the night before to remind you that you have an appointment?
And it's another added expense.
Make sure all your clients own a calendar and write down the appointments or a diary. Get them to set a reminder on their mobile phone maybe?
Maybe a calendar would make good Christmas pressies for some clients....not sure if Vistaprint do one??
It is just rude and bad mannered to "forget" appointments on a regular basis. We all have busy lives but it shouldn't be an excuse for rudeness.
Hope you manage to sort the problem mate, be firm but polite x

My dentist calls me the day before an appointment!I think a text is a good way to gently remind a client to turn up.:hug:

My dentist and optician always call to remind me of an appointment and I`ve never been late or missed! I dont text all my customers just the ones I find can be a bit forgetful
or regulary run late it dosent cost me much as it comes under my free text allowance. Cheaper than a missed appointment would be.

Sorry ladygemini, but making her wait and walk the streets for 4 days and show off crappy nails (that are attributed to you, as her nail tech) could have lost you clients. Potential clients may have seen here nails and asked her who did them? ..... not because they wanted to go to her tech, but because they wanted to know who to avoid.

I would have pulled her in on a Sunday and charged her a weekend surcharge (which I offer), but thats what I would have done (in fact i'm doing it this Sunday) I hate doing it, but when I go home after an hour and a half with a wad of cash, (double what i would normally make in that time) that kinda makes up for it.

We are all different and have different solutions, but i prefer to offer solutions that may benefit me in the long run.

The thing that upsets me the most about cancellations is the fact they may have to go up to a week before I can get them in again ....... every client is a walking advertisement/billboard of your work and ability, if you inconvenience them, you may just be cutting off your nose to ......... (you know the drill).

I sort of think this is a good idea.... maybe for the 'one-off'. But it's VERY unlikely that I would personally do this.

My family schedule is this:
I work every night except Sundays. I work Thurs, Fri & Sat during the day as well.
My eldest goes to elementary school 8:05 till 3:15pm. I get a grand total of just over 2hrs with her (during the dinner rush of preparing it and eating it) during the week. Not exactly "quality time".:cry:
My youngest has preschool two mornings a week.
My hubby works 6 days a week.

The ONLY family time we have "together" is Sundays during the day, and Sunday evening for hubby and I. That's IT.
Since family comes first, and my wee ones are only young once..... I don't want to miss out.

At the moment, I'm trying desparately to find a part-time daycare arrangement to better organize my hours and free up more evening time for my children.
Also, so that I can have time with my husband.. which.. he's usually asleep at 9pm, well before I'm finished with my clients. Sad state of affairs TRULY!! (read that to mean I'M SUFFERING.... HINT HINT LOL)

So would I charge more and work on a Sunday? Hmmm nope. Not even for my best friend. At least not at this stage of the game. Later when my hours are better organized? Perhaps.
But definately not now.

Losing out on the posibility of a new client is less important than precious time with my children and family. I'll take the risk.

How do you guys actually enforce your charges??

For instance, a complete random walks in off the street / calls to make an appt, but never shows, this has happened a few times to me, and more often than not its someone that has gone to my local nss, then come into me complaining that they hate their nails, want them soaked off - but never show. :irked:

How would you deal with that? or actually get the money for the appt?
I take a 50% deposit for random walkins (and explain why i am taking their money "due to rude no-shows") , often the genuine ones offer to pay me upfront in total.

I really do support you in your decision here Rachel. Carl, some of us don't have the luxury of working weekends, let alone Sundays because the client can't be arsed!

A high street salon has it's opening hours and a client can not get an appointment out of salon hours, however tends to pay more than a home based tech. A home based tech, as in Rachel's case, charges less, but must accept being messed about :rolleyes:?

I would have done what you did Rach. At the end of the day, out of work hours are committed to family time, and rightly so.

Working a Sunday is by no means a "luxury", but I will do it if need be (and as stated I charge a surcharge). I live 300 metres from the salon (which to me would be just like many of your home based businesses), yet not home based, not what you call "high street" either. But I am a business owner wanting to make money.

So ...... I will drag my tired ol ass out of bed for an hour and making $100 in the process, I just work it into my Sunday ritual of going for breakfast (which is 100 metres from the salon), I do the client before breakfast, or after breakfast, depending on what time they require.

Think about it, if you charge plenty of extra for working on Sunday, you could eventually drop a usual weekday, replace it with a Sunday (work the same time, yet make twice the money). Working Sunday could become quite a niche market.

Depends on what you wanna do on Sundays (the value of Sundays), how much money you wanna make etc.

Of course I understand the importance of family time, I don't have kids .... but still love my Sundays. Only yesterday i did an 8pm (on a Saturday) because a client took the bait and accepted my expensive offer of a Sunday.

I then had second thoughts (while thinking about my ever important sleep in) and sacrificed my early Saturday evening instead. Depends on how hungry you are (for business and money) .... sometimes I'm starving, and of course what suits you:)

BUT .... I don't like the idea of my clients being seen in public with less than perfect nails, so I will make a sacrifice sometimes .... BUT, they will have to pay through the nose for it.

Yes, actually. Mine and my husband's dentist rings up the day before to remind us of our appointment and I think its really professional.

When I see a client for the first time, as they are booking their appt I tell them I need 24 hours notice or they pay full. If they don't adhere to it, I give them the benefit of the doubt ONCE. The next time, they pay full.

I have a notice up explaining about the 24 hours notice, I verbalise it and its on my leaflets.

One client doesn't turn up regularly, so I text her that morning. If she doesn't attend she pays full the next time.

One client cancelled twice, I sent her a bill, she paid it but said she wouldn't be back.

I do honestly believe that clients think we are paid a full wage and it doesn;t matter if they don't turn up as their is no loss to wages. I love the idea of stating what a missed appointment actually means and think I might implement that in the future.

My hairdresser phones to remind, and if I'm not available they either leave an answerphone message or send a reminder card through.

I won't be reminding everyone, it would be too time-consuming, and pointless too, as most are fine and turn up religiously. I'll just ring the two or three who are a tad unreliable.

on my leaflets I offer a 'ring and remind service' that I have asked clients to register their interest for (got the idea from salon geek)

I do honestly believe that clients think we are paid a full wage and it doesn;t matter if they don't turn up as their is no loss to wages. I love the idea of stating what a missed appointment actually means and think I might implement that in the future.

This is what I did. Everybody understand it if you tell them how it works to be selfemployed.

(PS. I have lost two clients on this, but I have also gotten money for lots of missed appointments.)

C.

My dentist and optician always call to remind me of an appointment and I`ve never been late or missed! I dont text all my customers just the ones I find can be a bit forgetful
or regulary run late it dosent cost me much as it comes under my free text allowance. Cheaper than a missed appointment would be.

Well it's unheard of for me tbh, I've never had a call from a doctor, dentist, hairdresser etc to remind me of an appointment.
Then again I've never been a no show or been late so that may be why?
To each their own I supppose but I wouldn't do it.
If they can't be bothered to remember their appointments at the same time every 2-3 weeks I think it's rude...once in a while is ok but to continually do it would annoy the hell out of me.
Here's the link to the calendars...might be a good idea?:hug:
http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/vp/holi...Calendars&dng=1090149&GP=11/4/2007+7:55:38+PM

I have had opticians, doctor and dentist call me to remind me of appointments. I have never missed one or been late in the past and it doesnt always happen so I am guessing that they have had an influx of people wanting apps so they call existing ones to make sure they are still required.

I txt a few of my regulars to remind them they are due to come and they normally txt back with what times they can do. Only a handful book their maintenance appointments at their app, most do it by txt or call me after 2 weeks.

I have never 'no showed' or been massivily late(maybe a few minutes once or twice) and I get a call the day before a dentist/optitions.

Well it's unheard of for me tbh, I've never had a call from a doctor, dentist, hairdresser etc to remind me of an appointment.
Then again I've never been a no show or been late so that may be why?
To each their own I supppose but I wouldn't do it.
If they can't be bothered to remember their appointments at the same time every 2-3 weeks I think it's rude...once in a while is ok but to continually do it would annoy the hell out of me.
Here's the link to the calendars...might be a good idea?:hug:
http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/vp/holi...Calendars&dng=1090149&GP=11/4/2007+7:55:38+PM

Latest posts

Back