Trouble with an unreliable regular.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I have a client who has been a regular for about 3 years, she is a very nice lady. However, she leads a somewhat frantic lifestyle and keeps forgetting to show up for her appointments lately. Out of the last 8 appointments she has forgotten five of them.

She was due at 11.00 this morning. :irked: I feel like not phoning her and just being fully booked when she calls. But she is nice. I'm just tired of being messed around. I'd even made her tea for her. Bah! Would she mess a salon around as much?

My 9.15 also rang at 8.00am to cancel due to unexpected work commitments. :irked:

Last night's 8.15 showed up at 8.30, squeezing it for the next one. :irked:

I turned an impromptu birthday set down yesterday cos I had no room for this morning. :irked:

How many of you phone or text to remind people of appointments, and how far in advance do you do it? I don't do this atm.

What shall I do with my regularly unreliable lady?

does the reg lady not phone you and apoligse for being late/not turning up? this is when we go back to thread "depoists"....if you had depoists from these you would not feel :irked: more like...at least i got something....especially your reg lady....i think people see us as "just a nail tech" so they can abuse it....but we have to make a stand and say "WE ARE PRO NAIL TECH" !!!!!! everybody has busy lifes and were nice aswell so they should not walk over us ....hth you hun xxx

I have a client who has been a regular for about 3 years, she is a very nice lady. However, she leads a somewhat frantic lifestyle and keeps forgetting to show up for her appointments lately. Out of the last 8 appointments she has forgotten five of them.

She was due at 11.00 this morning. :irked: I feel like not phoning her and just being fully booked when she calls. But she is nice. I'm just tired of being messed around. I'd even made her tea for her. Bah! Would she mess a salon around as much?

My 9.15 also rang at 8.00am to cancel due to unexpected work commitments. :irked:

Last night's 8.15 showed up at 8.30, squeezing it for the next one. :irked:

I turned an impromptu birthday set down yesterday cos I had no room for this morning. :irked:

How many of you phone or text to remind people of appointments, and how far in advance do you do it? I don't do this atm.

I don't ring or text all my clients but I do with a couple of unreliable ones! Plus a self-confessed forgetful client who asked me to text her the night before!!!! I think the day/night before is enough warning and gives them enough time to cancel if they need to......

I think a reminder service for this particular lady is a good idea! Particularly if you keep your sense of humour about it and send a light-hearted text!

I think a reminder service for this particular lady is a good idea! Particularly if you keep your sense of humour about it and send a light-hearted text!

You're right Vetty, maybe just the unreliable ones deserve a reminder

does the reg lady not phone you and apoligse for being late/not turning up? this is when we go back to thread "depoists"....if you had depoists from these you would not feel :irked: more like...at least i got something....especially your reg lady....i think people see us as "just a nail tech" so they can abuse it....but we have to make a stand and say "WE ARE PRO NAIL TECH" !!!!!! everybody has busy lifes and were nice aswell so they should not walk over us ....hth you hun xxx

Sometimes I phone her, sometimes she phones me . . . always apologetic, yes but as my mum used to say when I was little "the best way of showing me you're sorry is not to do it again" lol

Love the bit "we are nice as well" . . . . . I actually forgot that! You're quite right :hug:

i don't think it wouldn't hurt to send her a quick reminder the day before...she might even appreciate it.

I had 2 sisters who where just the same...they would have a appointment booked...ring the day before to cancel it....book for another day....then turn up for the one they had cancelled thinking it would be ok....it wasn't, i had booked someone else in.

I had 2 sisters who where just the same...they would have a appointment booked...ring the day before to cancel it....book for another day....then turn up for the one they had cancelled thinking it would be ok....it wasn't, i had booked someone else in.

Crazy !

Do you think salons have this prob too? Or do people feel it's all a bit more relaxed because you're "at home" anyway . . . as if you just sit there and do the odd set of nails if someone happens to turn up lol

Sometimes I phone her, sometimes she phones me . . . always apologetic, yes but as my mum used to say when I was little "the best way of showing me you're sorry is not to do it again" lol

Love the bit "we are nice as well" . . . . . I actually forgot that! You're quite right :hug:
love the..."the best way of showing me your sorry is not do it again" i am going to use that on my children!!!!!! the thing is...when people cancel you,you could have booked some else in and not lost money....thats why i am getting people to pay depoists...then that way they dont want to throw money down the drain and will turn up..xxx

Crazy !

Do you think salons have this prob too? Or do people feel it's all a bit more relaxed because you're "at home" anyway . . . as if you just sit there and do the odd set of nails if someone happens to turn up lol

thats exactly how i think some people think.

Phoning her might work - it might not - she obviously doesn´t appreciate that you´re running a business. I have the same problem as I also work from home. People seem to think it´s just your hobby or something grrrrr :irked: Most salons wouldn´t put up with it. Drives me mad!

If it´s at the stage where you are turning down work because she doens´t turn up, you could politely explain to her that it´s causing you a problem and that she´d have to pay you a non-returnable deposit for any future appts (losing money will jog her memory!). If she protests at that - ask yourself if you really need her as a client - she´s messed you around 5 times out of 8! Write clearly on your publicity that you charge for missed appointments.

A good, unoffensive way of approaching it might be to say something like
"hun I know things are super crazy for you right now but your fingers are going to go to the pits if we dont keep up your appointments! Maybe I could send you a text night before, what do you think?"
That way you are relating to her, showing you care and hopefully resolving the problem

Crazy !

Mmmmm, I agree with this comment and was just thinking this reading the posts. Because you are not a high street salon or big business, then I think peeps just think you dabble in nails in between the hoovering, laundry and grocery shopping :rolleyes:.

You have to make your clients think otherwise and change their minds about how you run your business. As nice as this lady might be, she is not being very considerate if she is inconveniencing you like this, whether her actions are conscious or not.

I agree, start phoning her 24 hrs in advance. If she still messes you about then start charging her for missed appointments or taking a deposit for when she books her next appointment ...... non refundable! You can politely let her know that you intend to do this as you are running a business.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but this is my advice.

Crazy !

no,salons definately have the same problem, probably even more so.
i find that now i'm working from my homestudiopeople regard it as more of a personal service and are much more sincere if they have to cancel or forget.
whereas if your a salon, they dont really see it as affecting anyone personally for some reason:rolleyes:

A few months back geeg did an agony aunt thread, I have pasted this from there:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zo Zo
I have been working from home for just over 2 years and I have never had a policy regarding booking fees or cancellation charges or no show charges, and I have often thought I couldn't possibly introduce anything like this, and MOST of my ladies are great, but I have one client who is starting to really annoy me-

Without exaggeration she cancels over 50% of her appointments, usually with less than 24 hrs notice, sometimes with an hours notice, once she was a complete no show. She never pretends to be sick or visiting someone in hospital or will get the sack if she doesn't work late, normally she either doesn't offer any reason at all, or just says, 'something has come up' or 'I'm going away for a long weekend.'
It has started to seriously annoy me and unfortunately she is half way through a course of treatments but I'm thinking about telling her, when the course comes to an end, that she must give me at least 24 hours notice of a cancellation in future, or forfeit a treatment from the course OR find herself another therapist.
The truth is, I am sometimes pleased / grateful when a client cancels because I can always find something to do with the time, but with this girl it's become more a matter of principle, as I feel so disrespected by her.

What shall I do???

geeg's response:-

A person like this is disrespecting you and your time and you are enabling her to do so by saying nothing. I would not wait until the end of her treatment to say something. I would tell her immediately that as she has repeatedly and without explanation cancelled or not shown up for her appointments (and show her the record card which will most likely amaze her that she has done it so many times) that the next time it happens she will forfeit one of the treatments already paid for (?). I hope they are pre-paid so you won't loose out. I think I would say something like:

"Mrs X, I must speak to you seriously about the number of appointments you have cancelled at short notice. Some you have not even let me know that you were not coming. I'm a reasonable person and I understand that clients sometimes have to cancel appointments, but my time is valuable and if you cannot attend an appointment please let me know beforehand with as much time as possible so that I can make other arrangements. It doesn't 'put me out' if I know in good time that you wont attend, but to say nothing to me or to cancel at short notice just leaves me hanging and I could make better use of my time. In future, I am going to have to be compensated for my time by either a payment for the missed appointment or you will have to forfeit one of your pre-paid treatments."

So ... You have been reasonable, polite and business-like and once again, said calmly and politely, no one but the most arrogant and rude of people would come back at you for saying it. Not if you do it right. You have also subtly implied that although you are a reasonable person, she would not be being reasonable if she didn't agree with you. Never raise your voice (even if they do). If she comes back at you, then just calmly say, "I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought you would have more respect for my time and that this business is how I make my living. I'm sure you would not want someone to do the same to you if it were your business."

Hope this helps. Don't wait. Do it at the next appointment or if she fails to show, then write it down in a note to her and send it. Sometimes this is a good way if you think someone is going to be confrontational with you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Practise does NOT make perfect ... PERFECT PRACTISE makes perfect!!
Gigi Rouse -- Nail Artisan
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people!!

I charge a cancellation fee (50% first offense, just to show i'm serious, then 100% after that).

Personally I think 24hours notice is way too much to expect (lots of things can happen/go wrong in 24 hours), I ask for 3 hours notice (THIS ISN'T MUCH TO ASK OF THEM)

My cancellation policy is well posted ( a little one hangs off my lamp) .... in their face (another quite large notice on the wall behind me (to the right) in plain view, (another one at the polish drying station) and one on the back of my business cards.

I also sometimes voice my disappointment at a previous appointment canceling (just in casual conversation) HINT HINT.

I have no trouble with clients paying this fee (as they respect me and understand I am running a business), not only do i get the fee, i often get a bottle of wine also.

I try and explain my cancellation fee is buying my silence (if I get 100% of their canceled appointment) I don't care if they turn up or not and i don't complain (after all it's their money they are wasting).

They all know, i will wait 15 mins for them, then i shut the door and go up the street for a coffee.

THEY MUST UNDERSTAND YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING

Ok so going with Nailzoo therory. I love it I'm not sure how to impliment it in my salon as we are new and i don't want to turn anyone off and ideas?

My cancellation policy is well posted ( a little one hangs off my lamp) .... in their face

This really made me laugh lol

Gets the point across though.

I have a notice in my nail room thats asks clients to be curteous and give me 24 hours notice for any cancellations or the appointment will be charged in full. Before that sign I had loads cancelling 10 mins before they were due or just not turning up, not any more though. I have not had to charge anyone either, those that dont show up, dont come back, simple as that, I have a life as well as nails and I dont run my business around their lives, I run it around mine.

One client cancelled her 2nd app and asked for another, her nails were in a "right state" apparently, so I offered her the next day in the evening, the reply was "Oh I cant come then I'm going out, can you do sunday?!" I was gobsmacked that she expected me to give up my only whole day with my family to sort out her trashed nails but she couldn't give up an hour of her saturday night out. She now comes to her appointments as I made her wait 4 more days before offering her an appointment and by that time she needed a new set. She now is a very good client xx

Rachel

I have a notice in my nail room thats asks clients to be curteous and give me 24 hours notice for any cancellations or the appointment will be charged in full. Before that sign I had loads cancelling 10 mins before they were due or just not turning up, not any more though. I have not had to charge anyone either, those that dont show up, dont come back, simple as that, I have a life as well as nails and I dont run my business around their lives, I run it around mine.

One client cancelled her 2nd app and asked for another, her nails were in a "right state" apparently, so I offered her the next day in the evening, the reply was "Oh I cant come then I'm going out, can you do sunday?!" I was gobsmacked that she expected me to give up my only whole day with my family to sort out her trashed nails but she couldn't give up an hour of her saturday night out. She now comes to her appointments as I made her wait 4 more days before offering her an appointment and by that time she needed a new set. She now is a very good client xx

Rachel

Sorry ladygemini, but making her wait and walk the streets for 4 days and show off crappy nails (that are attributed to you, as her nail tech) could have lost you clients. Potential clients may have seen here nails and asked her who did them? ..... not because they wanted to go to her tech, but because they wanted to know who to avoid.

I would have pulled her in on a Sunday and charged her a weekend surcharge (which I offer), but thats what I would have done (in fact i'm doing it this Sunday) I hate doing it, but when I go home after an hour and a half with a wad of cash, (double what i would normally make in that time) that kinda makes up for it.

We are all different and have different solutions, but i prefer to offer solutions that may benefit me in the long run.

The thing that upsets me the most about cancellations is the fact they may have to go up to a week before I can get them in again ....... every client is a walking advertisement/billboard of your work and ability, if you inconvenience them, you may just be cutting off your nose to ......... (you know the drill).

She was due at 11.00 this morning. :irked: I feel like not phoning her and just being fully booked when she calls. But she is nice. I'm just tired of being messed around.

I also have a sign about no shows and a cancel fee...some clients don't care and just pay it .....however this is what I have done with a few of my 'problem clients"

I had a couple clients like this before.....what I did was simply tell the client that with all her unexpected "no shows" I could not possibly hold her spot any more .....
and I suggested she call me "when she had time " and I'd see if I could squeeze her into my schedule.......
this worked ( for a couple weeks ) until she found out my "time" did not revolve around her ( as she could not get in the day she wanted them)
and that if she wanted her nails done in a timely manner .....and cheaper....( as she did not have many repairs when she came @ the proper time )
she now comes in at the appointed time....

Latest posts

Back