Trouble with decals, client tomorrow - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Hi
My client showed me a pic on Pinterest she'd fallen in love with and I've got them in, they look like this
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1464097340.811027.jpg

In particular the turquoise ones
I've not done decals before but it seemed easy enough
I've cut a rough shape for a nail, soaked, slid the decal off the backing but it absolutely will not lie flat on my nail, even on top of Shellacs tacky layer.
Is there something I'm missing? Any tips welcome, she's in tomorrow night [emoji33]

Hi
My client showed me a pic on Pinterest she'd fallen in love with and I've got them in, they look like this View attachment 197530
In particular the turquoise ones
I've not done decals before but it seemed easy enough
I've cut a rough shape for a nail, soaked, slid the decal off the backing but it absolutely will not lie flat on my nail, even on top of Shellacs tacky layer.
Is there something I'm missing? Any tips welcome, she's in tomorrow night [emoji33]

I just used those exact dandelion decals last week!
With water decals you want to top coat your gel polish and cure. Remove the sticky inhibition layer. Now you soak your decal & slide it off the backing. Wet the finger a little bit (this allows you to move the decal on the nail where you want it). Once you have it where you want it, take a lint free wipe and press it on the nail to absorb any water. Now you should be left with a completely dry nail and the decal should be smooth. Take your top coat and float a layer over the decal quickly & have client quickly move hand into lamp. I always then apply another top coat to that nail to ensure it stays put until their next appointment hope this helps!

I just used those exact dandelion decals last week!
With water decals you want to top coat your gel polish and cure. Remove the sticky inhibition layer. Now you soak your decal & slide it off the backing. Wet the finger a little bit (this allows you to move the decal on the nail where you want it). Once you have it where you want it, take a lint free wipe and press it on the nail to absorb any water. Now you should be left with a completely dry nail and the decal should be smooth. Take your top coat and float a layer over the decal quickly & have client quickly move hand into lamp. I always then apply another top coat to that nail to ensure it stays put until their next appointment hope this helps!

So bottom line: you need to remove the sticky layer before applying decal.

Thank you!!!

Make sure the decal is completely dry before you top coat or the topcoat will bubble and peel off. I do the same as Nster but I do all the decals before topcoating to allow them some extra dry time too. If they are big I might stick them under my heat source lamp that I use for IBX for a few seconds too just to be sure they are dry

Do they stay flat even on a very curvy nail? X

Sussed it, thank you :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back