Trouble with french white tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertalons

Reaction score
Hi, I am a fairly new Nail Tech and have never used French white tips!, the ones i've got have a half well, do i need to blend?! Please help!!!

Hi Supertalons,

When I use french tips with a well area I take this out with a pair of curved scissors, and apply the tip directly to the natural smile line, that way no blending is required and saves loads of time.
Hope that helps, you could also try the edge french white tips, these have no well area so dont need anything doing to them just apply directly to natural free edge.

Cheers
Claire x

Supertalons said:
Hi, I am a fairly new Nail Tech and have never used French white tips!, the ones i've got have a half well, do i need to blend?! Please help!!!

The advantage of white tips is that you needed preblend you apply the tip with the full well area - giving you a perfect smile line...having said that though some french tips and thicker than others and if you are doing fibreglass they can leave a ridge which means more building on your apex...

The other option to white tips is to use More Than White as sold by Designer Nails in their once stop nails shops. This is an acrylic paint which you apply to normal tip, painting as if you were doing a french manicure and you leavit this to dry for 2 minutes then go ahead with whichever type of overlay system U are using either gel, L& p or wraps

...if you use the search facility for More than white this will give your the option of either french tip or more than white

Supertalons said:
Creative Nail Design has some great tech tips on using french white tips, and maintaining them. The easiest way I've found to use them is to pre tailor them by filing the well down. (CND's web site has a step by step, and there is probably a step by step tutorial on this site, if you look for it). You don't want to blend after you have applied the tip as this will cause your smile to waver:confused: or it will make them completely disappear. If the tip is thicker than you like thin it and shape your smile before you adhere it to the nail plate. This is useful when using fiberglass, so that you don't have to make your apex quite as thick. Hope this was helpful. ;)

If you want the perfect look (and who doesn't) then you MUST pre-tailor or customise the smile line of the French tip by cutting out or filing out the well area to equal the length of the free edge of the client. If you do this correctly, the tip well will just cover the free edge of the natural nail and sit snugly on the natural smile line.

But remember to maintain the french look perfectly month after month, there is no getting out of applying white powder or More Than White liquid Acrylic to the zone 1 ... uless you like soaking off sets all the time and applying new. This is neither healthy for the nail or the pocketbook of the client.

My advise is to forget french tips and learn the skill of doing perfect smile lines with powder or More than White. This skill really needs to be mastered.

Jeni Giles said:
Creative Nail Design has some great tech tips on using french white tips, and maintaining them. The easiest way I've found to use them is to pre tailor them by filing the well down. (CND's web site has a step by step, and there is probably a step by step tutorial on this site, if you look for it). You don't want to blend after you have applied the tip as this will cause your smile to waver:confused: or it will make them completely disappear. If the tip is thicker than you like thin it and shape your smile before you adhere it to the nail plate. This is useful when using fiberglass, so that you don't have to make your apex quite as thick. Hope this was helpful. ;)
Can i ask you to point me in the right direction of where on the site to go to for this? I'm probably being dense but couldnt find it! :o

Carole Lindsay said:
Can i ask you to point me in the right direction of where on the site to go to for this? I'm probably being dense but couldnt find it! :o
Carole - maybe you looked at creativenaildesign.com - we also have a professional site (for us teks) which is www.creative4pros.com and this is where you will find the info you are looking for!! :lol:

Mrs Geek said:
Carole - maybe you looked at creativenaildesign.com - we also have a professional site (for us teks) which is www.creative4pros.com and this is where you will find the info you are looking for!! :lol:
Thanx Mrs Geek - you're quite correct, i looked in the wrong place!

Sorry...had a look on creative4pros, but can't find the step by step guide for french white tips...

Carole did you find it, if so can you post the url link?

Thanks for the link Mrs Geek i've been wanting to know about sculpting as well aso that was very handy. I didn't realise that they had that on the site.

how mad is that :idea: ...At Star I was taught you never mess with the tip this is why they have a smaller well area, as to not to end up messing the perfectly formed smile line as moulded..well there ya go

Any way more than white or white powder for me..

Nailsinlondon1 said:
http://www.creative4pros.com/hottips/tipping.pdf
This is the link and then scoll down to french tip application...........
HTH
I'm still a bit dozy dora this morning but i couldnt see anything on french tip application when i scrolled down - mind you the whole page was very useful, lol.

Carole see page 4 of 8 towards the bottom...

Fab Freak said:
Carole see page 4 of 8 towards the bottom...
Yep i got it!! I did tell you it was me age didnt i???

Thanx a lot for all your responses & help, I have cut out the well area as suggested and applied directly to smile line and they look great! Have decided to order some from "the edge" range as I already use their acylic powders.

Thanx again! Supertalons x

Latest posts

Back