Trouble with "wide" nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilled

Reaction score
I have a problem with a special shape of natural nails.
The natural nail is wide in the no. 2 area, right where the free nail starts. When I make enhancements, I tend to get a very wide nail in the tip area.
Does anyone have any good advice how to make them sleeker (I think that is the right word)
Please see the attached picturesin the thread.

In my opinion they look like the free edge is to far down the nail. You could try using a custom blend for her which would make it look as if she has longer nail beds therefore giving you the sleeker look you want.
hth's

You could try doing a more oval shape the this ladies nails and this will make them more pleasing to the eye.

Wide nails can be a pain, can't they? They often seem to be flat as well.:rolleyes:

I would taper them more and I would increase the smile so it was more smiley, iykwim lol, it would visually extend the length of the nail bed (probably with the help of a camouflage pink powder) and create a more flattering nail.

Can you buy 'wide' tips??

My friend has very wide thumb nails, and my widest tips just end up popping off.
Where is a good place to buy them??
Thanks

My mum has very wide thumbs and, if I don't sculpt, I've found extra wide tips in Capital. I can't say I like them very much and they're very thick, so be prepared for a lot of pretailoring and blending. Ultimately, though, they do the job. :)

I have a friend who has generally wide fingers and needs to keep them short. I do struggle to make them look a bit slimmer and have tried several different premixed camouflage type powders, as well as recipes. It's getting a bit frustrating to hear people raving about them, as I still don't like the effect I'm getting and find the colours scream 'Fake.' :irked:

I've done numerous searches on custom blends and opaque powders, so it's not for the lack of trying, but I'm not having much luck. Can anyone help, please, as I'm baffled <and a bit envious> when people say they're getting really effective results with them, especially the premixed types. I still feel they need tweaking to be wearable, but I don't know with what? :cry:

Can you buy 'wide' tips??

My friend has very wide thumb nails, and my widest tips just end up popping off.
Where is a good place to buy them??
Thanks

one of the girls i went to school with has marfan syndrome and has REALLY wide, huge thumb nails and long thumbs. we would sculpt her nails since no tips would fit them and put tips on the fingers that tips would fit on, scupting the rest since her hands were some what odd looking.

her nails would come out even looking this way

Hejsa

Du skal starte med at tage siderne ind på neglene så de ikke får et endnu bredere look og det ville klæde den hånd på billedet hvis du ændrede formen på dem til mere oval. Den hvide kant skal også være meget mindre og prøv om du kan få smilet en smule mere dybt, bruge derefter en af Brisas opaque farver, så du får dækket den synlige overgangen på den frie kant, så vil du synsmæssigt få en negl der ser meget længere ud end den gør nu, held og lykke :)

My mum has very wide thumbs and, if I don't sculpt, I've found extra wide tips in Capital. I can't say I like them very much and they're very thick, so be prepared for a lot of pretailoring and blending. Ultimately, though, they do the job. :)

I have a friend who has generally wide fingers and needs to keep them short. I do struggle to make them look a bit slimmer and have tried several different premixed camouflage type powders, as well as recipes. It's getting a bit frustrating to hear people raving about them, as I still don't like the effect I'm getting and find the colours scream 'Fake.' :irked:

I've done numerous searches on custom blends and opaque powders, so it's not for the lack of trying, but I'm not having much luck. Can anyone help, please, as I'm baffled <and a bit envious> when people say they're getting really effective results with them, especially the premixed types. I still feel they need tweaking to be wearable, but I don't know with what? :cry:

I'm using the Creative Opaque pinks. These do not appear fake. Before using these I was custom blending. I found that by keeping zone three thin the lunula would show through and this gives the nail a more natural look.
If you apply product too thick in zone three the nail does tend to look fake. Also I never really understood custom blending till I read Geeg's tutorial on here. I finally understood the colour wheel and what was needed to change the tones of my custom blending.
If you search through the tutorials you will find it.
hth Karen

My daughter also has wide thumb nails and I can't sculpt yet. Where can I buy wide tips for thumb nails? Deena mentioned Capital, never heard of it??

Thanks for your replies. Due to holiday and other unforseen incidents, I haven't been able to check you replies. Hopefully I will have time to look at them soon.
Also thanks to Peter Pan - I will answer your PM soon.

hi when i do wide nails i use pro immprresion tips they have a deeper smile line and they look more taperd hope this helps

nettynoo:lol::)

I have a friend with the widest nails and shortest nailbeds ever :lol:. I usually sculpt, make two colored glitter fade (darker at the free edge). It gives kind of sleeker look. Sometimes I put some kind of decorations (ec holograms) on top of the nail to drag the attention there...and she loves them every time!

I've had my share of clients with fan-shaped natural nails. I just did a bride's nails recently, who had this problem. She thought she had "man hands". :) Well, I extended the nail plate with one of the CND opaque pinks, used soft white for the free edge (which I shaped into a soft square), and made the smile as deep as I could, which helped balance the narrower cuticle area with the free edge. She LOVED them, and they really looked great.

There are some clients out there, though, that have such short and wide nail plates that a french look is probably not going to look good on them no matter what you do. So a solid color, or (like nailspirit mentioned) a glitter or color fade could be a really nice alternative for these clients.

Thank you all for your answers. No I have something to work on.

Charlotte: Tak for løsningsforslag, det må jeg prøve. Er det sådan at du muligvis har et billede som viser dit løsning? Hvis du har og selvfølgelig vil dele, må du gerne sende det.
Takker.

I HAVE TO SAY I LUV THE PRE-ETCHED TIPS!!!! I luv the gators, and the raptors...they solved my problem. HTH:)

Latest posts

Back