Trying a new system of waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiet Therapist

Reaction score
I am experienced in the pot and spatula method though am looking at trying something new. I find it too stressful transporting the wax and using it in my clients homes as I am a mobile therapist.

I have used Phd a few times though am finding that the nozzles do not open and close easily between waxing/heating, they just get really stuck, even if I try and clean them between sections. Not sure if I am doing something wrong? I do like the idea of this system however I get in a right state with my gloves sticking to the nozzle!

I like to the idea of using a wax cartridge system though am struggling to find any info out there about it. Do you have to use a new roller head for each client? I am assuming you clean them? Are the cartridges a standard size and so would fit any wax brand that you buy?

Many thanks for any answers you have!!

I am experienced in the pot and spatula method though am looking at trying something new. I find it too stressful transporting the wax and using it in my clients homes as I am a mobile therapist.

I have used Phd a few times though am finding that the nozzles do not open and close easily between waxing/heating, they just get really stuck, even if I try and clean them between sections. Not sure if I am doing something wrong? I do like the idea of this system however I get in a right state with my gloves sticking to the nozzle!

I like to the idea of using a wax cartridge system though am struggling to find any info out there about it. Do you have to use a new roller head for each client? I am assuming you clean them? Are the cartridges a standard size and so would fit any wax brand that you buy?

Many thanks for any answers you have!!
Hi

As I understand the roller cartridges come in a few sizes (80/100g).

I think the more popular one is 100g size.

So as long as you get a heater unit that fits the size you can use any brand of wax cartridges in it.
You can clean most heads in between clients. I know some therapists that use a new wax cartridge for each client and keep the cartridge with the clients name on it to use on their next visit.. you could end up with a cupboard full of half used cartridges of wax !

Hope that helps jack

Personally, I find roller waxing way too uncomfortable for clients. Especially on application. I think roller wax is really only ideal for using on toned, taut skin which the majority of clients don't have. There is too much 'drag' on the clients skin during application.

Although, I understand it's difficult to transport wax for mobile work, I'd still always stick to my pot and spatula. That's just me though! :)

I use pot and spatula in the salon and PhD for mobile. The applicator heads do get a bit sticky but I find just removing the build up with a spatula during the treatment keeps it clean and hassle free. It did take a while to get used to it though! Like Trish, I find the roller cartridges create too much drag and can be uncomfortable for the client. My main problem with PhD is the price.... it's no where near as economical as pot wax. I would say keep going with the PhD until you master it and if you're still not happy buy a roller cartridge starter kit to see if you (and your clients) prefer it.

Thank you Jack, Waxperts Trish and Cathi44 for taking the time to answer!

Sounds like cartridge could be a bit of a faff, though I do like the fact you get access to some of the key brands of wax by going down this route.

Maybe I need to persist with Phd. Cathi44 I try and remove the excess wax with a spatula but still find that the applicator head still gets really stuck. Is his just trial and error? or is there some secret master skill I need?!

It is pretty much 'trial & error' with the PhD. I was really keen to trial it because of the hygiene factor and the ease for mobile (like you, I considered roller wax but not happy with the application) The PhD (once you've found your 'nack' for it !) is so easy and super quick. Plus my clients really like it (the Tea Tree wax) I can seriously halve my wax timings with it, although I mainly use it for legs & bikini line. BUT.... As you say, it can be a bit messy.... sticky, drippy tubes etc. If your heads are getting really blocked, try heating the wax to a higher temp (I keep my heater to 7 or 8), keep the tube almost vertical when you're applying it, and if you still find they're getting stuck, change the applicator head during the treatment. Good luck with it :) x

I had a cartridge wax system and found the cartridges leaked once opened and dragged as pp have said. I gave up and went back to using pot and spatula for mobile, I just only ever have it half full so it's less likely to spill.

I never get drag with my roller wax. I think you only get drag when the wax is not the correct temperature

Do you not use a new PHD head with every client? If it's getting blocked during waxing then it's not hot enough.

I never get drag with my roller wax. I think you only get drag when the wax is not the correct temperature

I've never had a problem either with it dragging on the skin & I find it's so handy & quick to use. I've used rollers for years now & would never go back to pot & spatula for legs.

Could I just add to get confident with pot & spatula first before moving onto rollers.

Last edited:
I think that you should stay with the pot and spatula and find a less stressful way of transporting it. Get one of those cooler picnic boxed so that the top is locked and it will stand on the floor in front of the passengers seat.

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.

Yes Krum new PhD applicator with each client.

Latest posts

Back