Trying to impress/win over new clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So my new market is a group of ladies who used to go to a girl for a cheap n cheerful service of bluesky shellac. Its like cement, doesnt chip but nearly a chainsaw to remove and alot of rough work. They are coming to me with damaged nails. But i want to secure their business and really impress. Would me buying brisa lite and using it without charging them for the first few treatments be a good idea? Its cost me a good deal to get up and running but why stop now. Any opinions? Xxx

Have they booked in with anyway? I personally wouldn't charge nothing. CND products aren't cheap. I also think that charging nothing gives across the wrong image of yourself- you are obviously passionate about giving a great service and using professional products- giving this away for free doesn't reflect this. Finally, if you do it for free, these clients might always expect it free or for cheaper. Without trying to sound snobby, if they have been going to someone for a cheap service already then they may be the type of client that would never come back once you have done your free treatment? Hopefully they will see the great job you do with their nails and how much care you take over them so will be more than happy to pay the extra [emoji4] x

Have they booked in with anyway? I personally wouldn't charge nothing. CND products aren't cheap. I also think that charging nothing gives across the wrong image of yourself- you are obviously passionate about giving a great service and using professional products- giving this away for free doesn't reflect this. Finally, if you do it for free, these clients might always expect it free or for cheaper. Without trying to sound snobby, if they have been going to someone for a cheap service already then they may be the type of client that would never come back once you have done your free treatment? Hopefully they will see the great job you do with their nails and how much care you take over them so will be more than happy to pay the extra [emoji4] x
Thankyou. They are family, aunts, sisters mam gran and inlaws. They were going to this girl and i saw a potential market. In time it will spread to more i think, friends and friends of friends. Im working from home and want to practice more before i really advertise. This start up is exhausting

NO NO NO..........
Do not make a rod for your own back!
Family, I'm sorry to say, can be the very ones who will take the most advantage.(maybe just mum & gran can have a freebee)
START AS YOU MEAN TO GO ON....
If you give it away, whatever 'IT' is, it will never be appreciated in quite the same way as a service that is paid for. :p
Believe me, if you don't charge you will resent it when they turn into 'Mrs picky' when they come! o_O

You think their nails were damaged by the BlueSky used by a previous tech, who used damaging methods to remove...so thats not your doing. Your clients/family chose to go to them.
You are offering a quality service using non damaging method, so that sells itself.
Don't try and compete with the other nail tech as it is clear that you are both offering for a different market.
There is no reason why you shouldn't charge. You need to start thinking as a business woman otherwise you will fail at the first hurdle. Giving it away now and it will always be expected.

Can I ask what the damage is like? As there maybe another form of treatment, such as IBX that may help? Could give you another selling point??

Also, are you encouraging the use of solar oil?

NO NO NO..........
Do not make a rod for your own back!
Family, I'm sorry to say, can be the very ones who will take the most advantage.(maybe just mum & gran can have a freebee)
START AS YOU MEAN TO GO ON....
If you give it away, whatever 'IT' is, it will never be appreciated in quite the same way as a service that is paid for. :p
Believe me, if you don't charge you will resent it when they turn into 'Mrs picky' when they come! o_O

Completely agree!!!

My BEST friend who is extremely tight anyway, used to come to me for colour. One day through my own fault I was running late so knocked £15 off her bill to say sorry and done her cut and a blow dry for free next time.
Then next time came when she was due her colour /cut and said "ohh i don't need it cut, so I'll just have the colour" and put £15 down on my table ( my colours are inclusive of a free cut)

I didn't have the bottle to bring it up so let her get away with it...... It takes me 40 mins to blow dry this girls hair - her hair is like Monica from friends!!! [emoji23]
When I explained after a couple of months that it was a one off and I explained that I would make around £5 profit ! Her reply " well I'm your best friend, you shouldn't really charge me"

I now refuse to do her hair... Goodbye!

Completely agree!!!

My BEST friend who is extremely tight anyway, used to come to me for colour. One day through my own fault I was running late so knocked £15 off her bill to say sorry and done her cut and a blow dry for free next time.
Then next time came when she was due her colour /cut and said "ohh i don't need it cut, so I'll just have the colour" and put £15 down on my table ( my colours are inclusive of a free cut)

I didn't have the bottle to bring it up so let her get away with it...... It takes me 40 mins to blow dry this girls hair - her hair is like Monica from friends!!! [emoji23]
When I explained after a couple of months that it was a one off and I explained that I would make around £5 profit ! Her reply " well I'm your best friend, you shouldn't really charge me"

I now refuse to do her hair... Goodbye!

My best friend won't accept the discount I offer her, she says no it's your business, and I'm not coming unless you let me pay properly. [emoji173]️ that's a best friend for you [emoji4]

My best friend won't accept the discount I offer her, she says no it's your business, and I'm not coming unless you let me pay properly. [emoji173]️ that's a best friend for you [emoji4]

Absolutely ... They should be supporting us! X

Mine was exactly the same blossom , and thats the TRUE meaning of a friend . Years ago when I also did waxing & I did her legs but she refused to have it for free as she said she would not feel comfortable asking me again if she did not pay me my going rate

But I digress . Good advice from the girlies here . Start as you mean to go on

Last edited:

My mums like this

My best friend always pays even when I am offering a free treatment so I can get some pics for my website she always pays no matter what! My family are all hairdressers and I am the only beautician so we have a deal free hair for free beauty treatments. But my family do promote me loads and whenever they can and most of my clients are their hair clients also. But never offer anything free for those who think they deserve it just as they are your friend!

Latest posts

Back