Tsunami Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought it would be great if The grand Master Samuel could set up a donation system, So we could all donate some money to send to the Red cross to help the poor people at the heart of the dieaster.

Great idea.
Lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sherry

I really hope Mui is ok and her family, I send my thoughts and prayer.

Incidently has anyone had news of her?

There are already a number of ways to donate - rather than waiting for something to be set up here, then waiting for donations to come in etc etc, it may be a lot easier and quicker if we donate through an already established channel - I'm guessing speed wil be crucial over the next few days / weeks / months...

Try:

www.redcross.org.uk

www.oxfam.org.uk

www.savethechildren.org

I've had a quick look and they have all started appeals.

Don't forget - if there's a bit on there to tick to say you're a taxpayer - tick it! This will allow the charity to reclaim the 28p tax back on every pound you donate (if I understood it correctly!)

Also, if anyone is worried about someone out there, there is another website - www.phuketitcity.com - which lists names etc (I'm told it includes pictures of victims, so be aware it may not be pleasant!) - but it lists survivors as well as victims, it may be helpful to someone...

Something like this really makes you count your blessings, doesn't it? My heart goes out to all those poor people and their relatives.

Vodkababe
X

Hi
I was just wondering about Mui - her salon in Patong where the tsunami hit quite badly on Boxing Day.

My family and I normally stay in Patong, Phuket every Christmas for one month but due to my salon opening at the beginning of December we had to cancel. Our hotel was one of the only beachfront hotels and we have been told that it has been flattened. We would have been there but the salon opening prevented it this year ! The mind boggles at how we would have dealt with the tidal wave as we would have been on the beach at the time of day it struck!

My thoughts are with Mui and everyone who was/is there. We have had news that one of our friends is ok who lives in Patong though -

Mui if you read this - let us know that you are ok!

Best wishes

Thought I'd pass this info on... got it from the sky news website.

British charities are stepping up efforts to help the devastated countries around the Indian Ocean.

An emergency appeal organised by the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) is now in its second day.

Sir Trevor McDonald and David Dimbleby are making television appeals for help from the public.

More than £1m has been raised already by individual charities to try to ease the suffering in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia and Thailand.

Under the DEC appeal, organisations including ActionAid, British Red Cross, Cafod, Oxfam, Save The Children, Christian Aid and World Vision plan to provide clean water, food and shelter.

They will also aim to provide longer-term support to people whose lives and livelihoods have been destroyed by the disaster.

The committee is operating 3000 telephone lines for donations.
The telephone number is 087 0606 0900.

Oxfam has raised £300,000 in two days. The charity is sending a plane with 27 tonnes of equipment from East Midlands Airport to Sri Lanka and Indonesia.

The £100,000 shipment includes water tanks, pumps and pipes and equipment for building latrines to avert the risk of disease.

The British Red Cross, which has raised £500,000 so far, is sending a plane with logistical equipment to join its team already stationed in Sri Lanka.

The International Committee for the Red Cross has been helping to evacuate the wounded and deliver emergency supplies.

Save The Children is planning an airlift to Sri Lanka on Sunday, where aid workers for the charity have been delivering food and medicine to 37,000 families.

Christian Aid has already made £250,000 available for its partner organisations working in the area. Muslim charities in Britain, responding to an appeal from the Muslim Council of Britain, have already raised about £500,000.

Latest posts

Back