Tuggy Hair & Leave in Conditioners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
I need help from any hair experts - professional or parents LOL.

My daughters have begged me to let them grow their hair long.

A has really fine hair and it is mostly a dream to brush.

K has really thick hair and every morning it seems to be like a mat underneath and is a nightmare to brush.

I was reading on the net that using a leave in conditioner might help.

Questions:

Do they make your hair look lank and greasy though?
Which one is the best to use?

The alternative is to have it cut off but she will not entertain that - I have once cut a knot out but dont want to do that too often or she might end up with holes LOL.

I had very thick curly long hair as a child. Don't remember conditioner but my Mum used to plait it to sleep in. My sister has done this with her ringletty daughter too. HTH:)

Hi Fiona x

Leave in conditioners leave no residue .

As long as you use one for her hair type specifically,her hair will only improve and appearance and health.

Personally i prefer professional brands,however it can work out expensive (especially for kids lol).

Herbal essence is the best " shelf " product IMO and you don't have to buy leave in ,you could buy one again for her hair type,leave for twenty mins wrapped in a warm towel,and rinse thoroughly Hth's xx

Paul Mitchell do a fantastic conditioner called 'The Detangler' it really does what it says on the tin ! Think its about £8.00 for 250ml.

Hi hun i have waist length long hair and mine gets really knotty if allowed, its fine but lots and lots of it, i use avons leave in conditioner, leaves my hair lovely and shiny dont need to rinse it at all, never gets greasy and its not expensive, i only need to use a 10 pence size amount, its good, right id better shut up now im starting to sound like a avon rep lol

I used the orange sunsilk one which is good, doesn't make it flat either. I agree plaiting is a good idea x x x

Plaiting every night would cause stress areas and result in breakage hth's x

Thats true! Good to have you here Becki, If I'd had someone like you to tell me I might not have a barnett like the monstrosity (sp) I've got! Do you do home visits?! x x x

My daughters hair is the same, I use a spray in coconut conditioner from boots on it. I did go through a phase of buying pro products when I went to the hairdressers but it was a large hair styling bill for a 5 year old:lol:

Lol.

Yes i do but i don't want any new clients,lol,i only do very regulars and when we move i won't be doing any hair x

My two daughters both have nearly waist length hair, like yours one is often like a mat underneath! I've tried all sorts on them but then one day I ran out of conditioner for them and (horror) had to use my John Frieda Brilliant Brunette on them and have been buying it ever since. It works out more expensive but is worth it!

Just a note about cutting knots out - if you take your scissors and cut downwards along the length of the hair you cut out the knot but in long hair it is not noticeable! (Well unless you do it every time!) xx

Oh well, my afro remains then................... :cry:

hehe! x x x

I use Infusium leave-in to detangle mine. Mine is curly, thick and reaches past the middle of my back.
Always worked great for me.
One time, tried a salon pro brand.. didn't work as well.
BUT not all are created equal and all of that...

If you put a loose braid in her hair at night, to keep it in place, that will help.
I do that with both of my daughters who each have hair that nearly reaches their bottoms. One with curly thick hair like mine, the other fine, thick and straight. They are both prone to knotting. Since I've started braiding their hair at bedtime, we have less problems.

To avoid greasy hair, keep conditioners OFF the scalp. Don't apply them any closer than 2" from the scalp. Conditioner needs only be applied to the length's of the hair shafts, and away from the roots.

When detangling, start with a large tooth comb or pick, and start from the ends and work your way up to the roots. Then finish with a finer brush or comb, once all knots are removed.

Also, even if she's growing her hair long, she'll still need trims.
Ends that are split and frizzed are more prone to tangling and knotting than healthy hair.

hth's
:hug:

Sorry to contradict Victoria,but even peeps with greasy hair must still condition,including the scalp.

The best way i can explain is that peeps with oily skin still moisturise right ? But only use a moisturiser for their skin type to counteract the problem.

This is why it's important to choose the right hair products,this will prevent greasy hair.

Conditioner is used to maintain and improve the hair and should be done from scalp to tip.

I agree,long hair is old hair and does need regular trims to remove split ends.

As Victoria says,it is also important to use a wide tooth comb when wet (this is when the hair is most fragile) good quality combs and brushes will also minimise the problem

Hth's x

I use Aussie Mirical leave in conditioner it works a treat on de tangling and the smell is YUMMY !!

Latest posts

Back