Turning client away due to contraindication

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
One of my regular clients arrived for her monthly peel but told me she'd recently been prescribed medication which in turn meant that I couldn't do the treatment. I explained this to her and offered her a facial instead which she declined. I was very apologetic as I could see that she was very disappointed.

I take deposits for all treatments so I said that I could put the deposit towards a future treatment, as she's had lots of other treatments in the past. She very abruptly said that she didn't want any other treatments and just wanted her money back. When she was leaving she seemed pretty p*ssed off and didn't even say goodbye.
Obviously I was disappointed too as I didn't get paid and it seems as though she will no longer be a client! I feel really upset as we usually get along really well and I've been doing her treatments for 18 months.

It does say on my website that some medical conditions and medication may affect treatment and to contact me before booking, but it appears that a lot of clients don't read the website.
Is there more that I could have done? I feel really gutted at how it turned out.

One of my regular clients arrived for her monthly peel but told me she'd recently been prescribed medication which in turn meant that I couldn't do the treatment. I explained this to her and offered her a facial instead which she declined. I was very apologetic as I could see that she was very disappointed.

I take deposits for all treatments so I said that I could put the deposit towards a future treatment, as she's had lots of other treatments in the past. She very abruptly said that she didn't want any other treatments and just wanted her money back. When she was leaving she seemed pretty p*ssed off and didn't even say goodbye.
Obviously I was disappointed too as I didn't get paid and it seems as though she will no longer be a client! I feel really upset as we usually get along really well and I've been doing her treatments for 18 months.

It does say on my website that some medical conditions and medication may affect treatment and to contact me before booking, but it appears that a lot of clients don't read the website.
Is there more that I could have done? I feel really gutted at how it turned out.
No, don't feel bad you were protecting her from herself.Hopefully she will ring to apologize in a couple of days when she thinks about her behaviour.

You did everything right and put her wellbeing first. If she cannot see it then she's shortsighted.
As therapists we have the knowledge to know what impact a treatment could have so carry on doing your good work.

Good for you. It's a shame client's don't realise you have their best interests at heart. You absolutely did the right thing.

Imagine if you did the treatment anyway and she had a severe reaction. You would feel much worse and she would be fuming that you didn't advise her not to x

I'm glad to see some therapists still have integrity . Don't feel bad as long as you did the right thing and also was kind in explaining. Some clients are not aware and hence they get upset.

I've had to do this before and it usually goes much the same but sometimes with hindsight they will realise you were looking out for them and come back. Don't feel bad for having integrity.

At least she told you before treatment and not hid it away. You completely did the right thing and it's there in your T&C's, you have your reputation to think about and she will come around that you were right not to do the treatment.

Latest posts

Back