Tutor had bad info about enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Ive not been on here for a while as been away to get married and it was wonderful!

Was not sure what to call this thread so hope its ok.

Anyway - I started my level 2 nail treatments (manicure and pedicure) course at college this week. Someone asked the tutor a question about enhancements and she said to us all that she wouldn't give house nor home to 'extentions' as they completely ruin your nails :eek: . If there was just a few people in the class I would have said something but its quite a large class and me being me I didn't say anything, just got really irritated cause a few of the other girls were agreeing with her!

Its such a shame that people have this view and don't know any different. I know that the enhancements I create do not ruin peoples nails. Even my first set on my foundation course did not ruin my moms nails. Creative (im sure a lot of other companys too,but this is who I trained with) put lots of emphasis on being kind to the natural nail and if everything is carried out correctly at every stage no harm will come to the natural nails. - Now I know us geeks know all this! surely someone as a tutor in college should know.:!:

I know theres been lots of threads similar to this in the past but I wanted to air my story!

Oh by the way, apart from this little comment the lesson was good and also I realised how much I know! :idea:

bye for now geeks

In hindsight i bet you're thinking ...... i know my stuff i should have put her straight. Unforunately this happens far too frequently,those of us who are educated nedd to make a stand,speak up and put the record straight xxxxx

ive started my teaching in adult ed (i only teach nail art and basic beauty)and you would not believe how many of the students have said to me "oh false nails just ruin your natural nail" when ive tried to explain and tell them that they dont you would'nt believe how many of them really argue that they do.

i even had one girl yesterday in one of my classes say whilst we were having another discussion about nails "they are not good for your nails has your nail has to breath" but can you believe it this came from a qualified nail technicain.

I also had this comment made by one of my Beauty tutors last year.

It ws something in the end we agreed to disagree on as it would have made life at college very difficult. I just wish that these long standing tutors would widen their blinkers and look at what can be achieved with nail enhancements and promote good methods of this being achieved instead of slating what they know very little about.

Hi Natalie,

If you don't mind me asking, where in Birmingham are you studying ?

Marlise

Hi Natalie,

If you don't mind me asking, where in Birmingham are you studying ?

Marlise

Hi Marlise,

If you don't mind I won't say exactly where I am studying as these forums are open for anyone to see and don't want to get too personal!! I know that may sound silly but it is very dark when I come out of the lesson!! What is the reason for asking, have you had a similar thing?

:hug:

before i started studying i bought a "professional" manicure and pedicure book, where it mentions to give nails a rest from extensions every now and again to let the nail breath. The uneducated of us dont know that we dont know. I think it's good to be able to say (in a non confrontational way) that this it how it works, this is what happens and this is why kinda stuff, so that people become educated. Its the same as nss salons. I went to the same nss twice and didnt know any better, i thought that was how it worked, that it was supposed to hurt and extensions were supposed to feel like wearing bricks on each finger :Grope: but i was uneducated and didnt know any better.

i wish the beauty/fashion industry would make more of an effort to educate people on the dangers of nss and the difference between those and good nail techs, but it seems we're only seen as "extras" and not recognised for the important part we play in the industry.

sorry, turned into a ranting novel rather than a reply to the post :o

My lecturer told us last week that nail enhancements do not damage your nails, poor workmanship does.

Which I totally agree with.

It is a shame that so many tutors are not at all current with modern enhancement materials or the methods of prep that are used with quality PRODUCTS.

I SAY QUALITY PRODUCTS BECAUSE, the more generic the products are that one is using the more aggressive to the natural nail one has to be to make the stuff stick as well as using primer.

I'm spoiled rotten! I have been lucky enough to use a L&P product that has not needed primer for more than 12 years!! It makes me laugh when I SEE PEOPLE GETTING ALL EXCITED WHEN THEY SEE --- oh a new product that doesn't require primer !! HELLO ... if you were so concerned about using primer ... there has been a primer-less product on the market for 13 years already and Fiberglass/silk wraps have never required the use of primer so why haven't you been using those???

Many still put up with the problems of yellowing, aging, frequent breakages etc and they just don't realize that they do not have to put up with any of these problems as a regular thing if they used a product of high quality. The difference in price is nothing really but the difference in the product is HUGE.

Why not print up some information from here and other similar sites supporting the TRUTH of the matter
AND invite the tutor to see enhancements done AND to see them removed and what lies beneath.

I would personally have asked her "how can you speak of what you know nothing of? Take a course, do it, and see what the results are, and you'll see the truth for yourself" (but that's me lol)

OR take it up with the head of the school and point out what's occurring.. 'maybe' they'll be interested in offering more up to date education and FACTS instead of myths and fluff.

Nothing irks me more than statements that aren't back up with proof.
I don't want to hear fluff and stuff, I want hard proof.

I understand though, it's hard to stand up and argue with a teacher. Never know if they'll mark you down just out of spite for questioning them.

my opinion is that extensions dont ruin the natural nail but they make the nail weak if the extensions are worn constantly,the natural nail can feel like paper.this is why people think that nail extensions ruin the natural nail.am i right or do you all disagree?

my opinion is that extensions dont ruin the natural nail but they make the nail weak if the extensions are worn constantly,the natural nail can feel like paper.this is why people think that nail extensions ruin the natural nail.am i right or do you all disagree?

You are ... wrong :) Nail enhancements do absolutely nothing to thin a natural nail. Why would they? The product just sits on top of the nails (just like enamel polish) and hitches a ride.

Nails are very much protected by wearing enhancements, but similarly to when we wear a pair of gloves and then remove them, the nails can feel more sensitive to hot and cold when enhancements are first removed. As the nerves wake up this feeling goes very quickly.

IF the nails are actually thin when enhancements are removed, then they have been thinned by either the technician or the client abusing them.

Over the years, many tests have been carried out to supply the proof of this. Read Doug Schoons book, Nail products & Product chemistry.

Its how you look after your nails as well as the tech's job which keeps your nails looking good and healthy.

I have had my nails on for absolutely ages and they have only improved in look, the nail bed has lengthened and they just look so much better than when i used to bite my nails. The tech is who does the damage as well as the client if they pick, bash them, (if they are too long) and not look after them with regular appointments and cuticle oil use etc.

It's a shame that a college tutor would say this when she obviously doesn't know enough to comment.:rolleyes:

How can we possibly ever hope to raise Technicians skills and education levels when the mis-information comes from the top of the education tree. When you go into a class room you expect that everything you hear and learn to be the gospel truth....Not based on bias misconceptions....I can imagine your frustration when something like this is being said by a trusted or supposedly educated tutor and the rest of the class agreeing as "hey its gotta be true our Teacher said so". It would just made me question other things she teaches and would make me loose faith in the education I am getting.... Maybe something like this should be addressed with the college direct.... facts at the end of the day speak louder than any myth in the class room.
Maybe your tutor should become a geek !!!!

I must admit I was wondering if she was a geek, up to the point that this comment was made, then I knew she couldn't be!!

It would make sense to go to the college and say something I think as she will be saying the same thing to a lot of students to come!

Hi, Next time you attend the class, get in first or hang around after, and just ask her "Can you please again explain HOW extension ruin the nails? Did you mean if the client has mechanically picked off or bashed a nail? Or if the technician damages the nails whilst applying or maintaining?" Say to her that you didn't understand what she meant. She will have to answer you.... and then you can give her the correct information!! xx

These tutors need to take a look at their own abilities sometimes. Weird isn't it that they say Artificials are so bad for the nail, however, they are often responsible for the training of students who go on to provide poor services and destruction of the nail plate.

I was speaking with a student doing her beauty NVQ and she said that when they did the practical for nails they never even saw a demo from their tutor, she just talked them through their application. How can you teach a hands on job with out being hands on? Absolutely ridiculos

Another reason peeps still beleive this to be true is beacuse enhancements are thicker than the natural nail,stronger.When removed the natural nails should not be damaged in the slightest and only " appears " thinner because there is no product on top !!!!!

My tutor when I did Mani/Pedi prefered natural nails & said it was the way to go, she refused to teach enhancements as although she was qualified to do so she prefered to consentrate on natural nails & sort of tried to persuade us that this was better. Not in a pushy wasy though. I suppose its just what prefernences people have. I take the view that natural nails are nice if you have good nails but like me I don't & so enhance mine because they look so much healthier!!! But if a client came to me with lovely natural nails I might advise them to have a manicure rather than enhance them if not necessary.

Another reason peeps still beleive this to be true is beacuse enhancements are thicker than the natural nail,stronger.When removed the natural nails should not be damaged in the slightest and only " appears " thinner because there is no product on top !!!!!

I do hate it when I remove my enhancements though as it can take ages for my nails to appear stronger again afterwards. I mean they are quite weak my natural nails anyway but fels worse for a while once the enhacements are removed. A couple of friends won't have enhancements because of this. Although I do say that no damage is done & your nails are just adapting from having a protective layer on them for so long & so will appear harden again as they were aftera couple of days, especially with the help of cuticle oil & regular maintanence apps. Hope you get what I'm trying to explain, lol!!:)

Latest posts

Back