Two nail questions - Help!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiler13334

#Nailartistic_me
Reaction score
Hi My Friends

Hope you can help me on these.

The first problem l have is a client who no matter what system the nails will not stay on for longer than a week. Prep is exact and ratio is right and it has left me stumped? Her nails do not grow very fast very slowly she has no medical problems, and medication as we know would not cause this (not proven) Would stress do anything? l am making it my goal to find out what is going on. l hoped when l started using creative that it would work for her as all my other Clients are fantastic with it. Are there people out there that just can't wear enhancements?

The second one - SORRY!!
A lady has grown her natural nails and showed me how after about a 1/4 of an inch in length they really bend over but not on every one of her nails about three on each hand. She said they never used to do that and her doctor just said not to worry. Could excessive use of strengtheners and polish remover cause this? apart from the extreme curve they are really healthy looking. She is coming to me to file them and polish and need some advice as to what could be causing it.

Thank you l now one of ya can help me, hope so.

i too have nails that curve and so does my mum.......all of my mums nails do it while only 5 of mine has the problem...is is a bit of a nuisance as i can grow my nails quite long if i want to but those nails that curve just look ugly so i have to keep them a lot shorter than i would like :(

we always put it down to a sort of calcium deficiancy (sp) as my mum has never drank milk and i dont like it either plus we only eat the occassional bit of cheese so there is not much calcium consumed between us....my mum actuall has really bad ridges on all her nails too which we again put down to the lack of calcium.

dont know if we are correct in thinking this......does anyone know if that could be the cause?

stanleyann

Hiya,
The first client may just have really oily nail plates and although enhancements work for many, You will always find people who just seem to have problems keeping them.
2nd client, I also have 2 nails that bend over as they grow, I believe mine do this as i had them trapped in a door has a child and feel i damaged the matrix.

lesley1965 said:
Hiya,
The first client may just have really oily nail plates and although enhancements work for many, You will always find people who just seem to have problems keeping them.
2nd client, I also have 2 nails that bend over as they grow, I believe mine do this as i had them trapped in a door has a child and feel i damaged the matrix.
Client 1:
Yep some clients just cant wear enhancements................. oily nail plate to the extreme..... but have you tried power preping the nail ??? Removing all non living tissue with cuticle remover, then rinsing this off with a spray of water and citrus soak...........let the nail dry and then Scrubfresh, Nailfresh and Scrubfresh again and realy scrub and not just wipe it over the nail????? this will remove oils to the maximum...............
Do one hand at a time...............less time for the oils to get back to the surface.

Client 2:
Funny enough 2 of my nails do this.........they behave like hook/claw nails........Dont know why or how............all I know is I used to bite my nails to the extreme...................so I must have damaged the matrix at some point..........
This can be corrected with a sculpting form, you can train a nail to behave a little better...........Gigi has mentioned this in one of her posts......
But it would mean she would have to wear sculpts on the offending little bligters.............
The use of a form will encase the nail and guide it in the correct growing direction.......more straight rather then curling under..............It's an option she might want to consider;
Trim the free edge leaving a small free edge,
Apply the form and correct the angle of the upper arch,
Apply either Gel or L&P
HTH

Thanks for your replies Girls much appreciated.

Yes power prep exactly how you said, Ruth but still no joy - very frustrating.
Perhaps l will try one more thing and see how that goes and let you know. (FINGERS CROSSED) it p****** me off especially when see told me how a set stayed on so long after only 45 mins to do the set and drilling that make her burn. Very dodgy me thinks!! and l explained that if l took away loads of her nail layers then yes they would stay on longer but not in the best interest to her nails and health - could that be the cause why her nails are so oily now?? over compensating due to the lack of nail??

Yes the second client was a nail biter - nearly down to her elbows LOL - what im gonna do for her is file her nails to the length so no curvature is seen and a nice nail color and a bit of art which will cheer her up. Advised the sculpt but she didn't want them as she is so proud she has grown her own.

Thanks again

Is this lifting and problem client still recovering from her other nail expirience ????
Because Creative L&P loves Keratin, the more there is , condition wise the better it stays ...........A very flimsey nail will not make a good sound foundation for L&P.........
Better off with a Fabric# enhancement................
Just tell her that good Technicians, rely on a chemical/covalent bond and not a mechanical one..........I don;t know about the over oilyness to compensate.......... thats would be one for Samuel the GMG to answer lol...............
I love it when I know a man that can lol !!!!

You make me chuckle Ruthie.

Yes her nails are in good condition and strong it was about 2 years ago she had the unpleasant experience.

Lets hope GMG can answer this one eh!

I like the saying
I like a man who knows he can!!
Not a boy who thinks he can!!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

stanleyann said:
i too have nails that curve and so does my mum.......all of my mums nails do it while only 5 of mine has the problem...is is a bit of a nuisance as i can grow my nails quite long if i want to but those nails that curve just look ugly so i have to keep them a lot shorter than i would like :(

we always put it down to a sort of calcium deficiancy (sp) as my mum has never drank milk and i dont like it either plus we only eat the occassional bit of cheese so there is not much calcium consumed between us....my mum actuall has really bad ridges on all her nails too which we again put down to the lack of calcium.

dont know if we are correct in thinking this......does anyone know if that could be the cause?

Isn't this type of nail exactly what enhancements are made for? To enhance the look and make nails that are less than beautiful look amazing???
Perfect for the hooked nail!! Aren't you wearing them?

The fact that nails contain loads of calcium is a MYTH. Advertisers love to prey on this myth by getting the consumer to buy products that contain calcium thinking it will improve the condition of the nails, but in fact the nail contains very LITTLE calcium. I would be very surprised if either you or your mum had a genuine calcium deficiency or you would be having allot more problems than bendy nails. :lol: Teeth hair and bones come to mind!!

There are plenty of ways to get calcium in your diet without drinking milk. A true caklcium deficiency can cause weakness in nails and general health along with it. This is not your problem believe me. If you lived in a 3rd world country with a poor diet maybe but not in the UK.

The look and the physiological make up of your nails is mostly hereditory. Some nails are thinner than others and these ore the ones that could tend to dip. Also if the nail bed has been shortened by biting this can also cause nails to dip. Nails need support to be straight and true.

thanks for the reply geeg.......my brother has problems with his calcium levels ......he has croans (sp) disease and over the years ended up with a severe vitamin dificancy through not getting the proper nutrients from his food, he was a very poor eater through ill health and was anorexic at one point weighing only 5 and a half stone......this all led to different problems and at the age of 34 he took a stroke and is now confined to a wheelchair.

his bones in his hands and his feet and ankles are all bent out of shape and his teeth are badly discoloured but his nails are perfectly strong and healthy so as you said the calcium/nail doesnt go together at all......we just thought that could have been our problem because you always read about calcium and your nails.....so now we know better and will have to find something else to blame....lol

i'm so glad i dont have a problem there as you should see the calcium tablets that he has to take...they are the size of a 2p piece and they are like chalk...calcichew they are called so obviously they have to be chewed and not just swallowed with a drink of water :eek:

as for wearing enhancements, i only wear them occasionally as i am a biter a nibbler and a picker, but only with enhancements not my natural nails :o so i try to keep my nails at a length where they dont curl under and usually they are fine.

stanleyann

stanleyann said:
thanks for the reply geeg.......my brother has problems with his calcium levels ......he has croans (sp) disease and over the years ended up with a severe vitamin dificancy through not getting the proper nutrients from his food, he was a very poor eater through ill health and was anorexic at one point weighing only 5 and a half stone......this all led to different problems and at the age of 34 he took a stroke and is now confined to a wheelchair.

his bones in his hands and his feet and ankles are all bent out of shape and his teeth are badly discoloured but his nails are perfectly strong and healthy so as you said the calcium/nail doesnt go together at all......we just thought that could have been our problem because you always read about calcium and your nails.....so now we know better and will have to find something else to blame....lol

i'm so glad i dont have a problem there as you should see the calcium tablets that he has to take...they are the size of a 2p piece and they are like chalk...calcichew they are called so obviously they have to be chewed and not just swallowed with a drink of water :eek:

as for wearing enhancements, i only wear them occasionally as i am a biter a nibbler and a picker, but only with enhancements not my natural nails :o so i try to keep my nails at a length where they dont curl under and usually they are fine.

stanleyann

That is so sad that at such a young age you brother should have suffered so much.

I have a young friend who has just been diagnosed with celiacs (spl) disease and who has similar problems regarding getting the right level of nutrients. As long as she eats nothing with gluten, her body will repair .. surprising how many things have gluten in them. Basicaly she is wheat intolerant, and gluten comes from wheat. But it is used as a thickener for packet soups, jelly babies and boiled sweets, icecream etc so she has to be very careful.

To your point of picking, I ALWAYS picked L/P enahncements. Then I started to wea Fabric# and the picking stipped ... NOW I am wearing Brisa Gels and I'm still not picking ... maybe another system could be your answer. I always feel if you are doing nails you should wear nails. Number 1 for advertising purposes, and no2 because if you don't people are so suspicious ...."Why aren't you wearing nails?" is a question that always comes up ... don't you find this?

i know what you are saying about not having your own nails done when doing the service as a profession but i only do nails for a few of my friends and the odd time on myself......i will probably change though when i do some more training, then as you say i will want to advertise my work :)

as you know i have been planning on doing the creative foundation course for some time but due to ill health i have to wait untill i feel that i can manage to sit in a class and concentrate on what i am doing which isnt an easy thing to predict when i can do it as i never really know what kind of day i am going to have untill i get out of my bed in the morning......and because creative courses are always quite fully booked it was hard to try and get a place in the classes near to me (still an about an hours drive away from where i stay) without having to worry about being able to drive that far then sit in a class for a good few hours :|

anyway to cut a long story short i have found out that i can do an ez flow course in the new training acadamy that has opened up only ten minutes drive away from me and after having tried some ez flow l&p i was very impressed with it....the bonus is though that it will be a one to one class as no one else is booked on it at the dates i was offered at the end of the month and with it still being milder weather i know i can have some not too bad days and as i said i am not far from home at the end of each class

so it looks like i will be doing training with ez flow first then maybe a conversion with creative at a later date, depending how my illness goes and if i am able to work at doing nails for the next year.

i do feel slightly gutted though as creative training is what i have had my heart set on for ages but its just not practical to do that right now :sad:
but as you all say the more training the better so i will just have to do my training the opposite way round to what i had planned and do ez flow first

stanleyann

Latest posts

Back