U smile lines or V-ish lines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjodylee

Reaction score
Hi everyone..
Just wondering about smile lines.
I do mine mostly in a U shape but recently I worked with some girls that said the U shaped looked to fake and that it looks more natural in a V-ish shape and they did look alot better actually.

As much as I practice though I cant seem to make this V shape look nice.. Anyone have any tips on how to make this V shape properly?
Should I do the U shape then put little bits of acrylic up the top "ears" part? It would still be a U shape though then wouldnt it? just longer I guess.. Aaarrgh!
Any advice would really be appreciated.
Are there some tutorial videos I could watch to help with this?
Also how far up the nail bed should the "ears" of the smile line start? Half way? Just below half way?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Jody

If you create a more v shape smile line the end result looks better. If you do a u shape, once the product has been moulded or pinched the smile almost disappears and you're left with an almost straight line as all you can see is the bottom of the u and the slight incline at each sidewall. If you try a more v shape (but soften it slightly so it's not a point) this will appear as a lovely rounded smile line.
Try writing a u and a v on a piece of paper one above the other then bend the paper as the nail would appear and you should see what I mean?!! Difficult to explain in words, easier to show someone!!

Hi everyone..
Just wondering about smile lines.
I do mine mostly in a U shape but recently I worked with some girls that said the U shaped looked to fake and that it looks more natural in a V-ish shape and they did look alot better actually.

As much as I practice though I cant seem to make this V shape look nice.. Anyone have any tips on how to make this V shape properly?
Should I do the U shape then put little bits of acrylic up the top "ears" part? It would still be a U shape though then wouldnt it? just longer I guess.. Aaarrgh!
Any advice would really be appreciated.
Are there some tutorial videos I could watch to help with this?
Also how far up the nail bed should the "ears" of the smile line start? Half way? Just below half way?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Jody
I always do smile lines that look natural and not exagerated. Can't stand the exteme look as it is not natural and looks fake. Why not just stick like I do, to natural-looking beautiful nails? Clients nails are not competition nails where EVERYTHING is exagerated! You need to get real and stop worrying. A natural curved shape has worked for me and my clients all of my working career.

If doing oval-shaped nails, then your smile should be more oval (if you want to call this v shaped then so be it .. I call it oval).

Last edited:
Yep, I'm with Geeg on this one.

Nail enhancements are meant to be a natural nail extension and should look as such. If you start doing all this extreme smile line stuff etc, it turns into something that looks fake.
I have never seen a natural nail that as a V shaped smile line, in fact most of them are more straight than even a U shape.

Latest posts

Back