Under what circumstances should you not do a Gelish treatment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
So far all of my consultation forms have been handed back with no-one being on any medication or claiming to suffer from any illness etc.. This means I've had no problem offering a Gelish service but when would I need to be careful? Basically, what sort of medication or illness would you need to be wary of when applying Gelish and which would be advisable NOT to treat with?

Sounds like your all set to Gelish ur customers :)

Apart from the obvious, i would say diabetics and people that have nail infections, etc.... are ppl that you will be more careful or might even have refuse application depending on the seriousness, other than that you would not have any worries.
Gelish is pretty safe to use :)
I'm sure there will be others on here that can give more advice.
Enjoy Gelishing :)

The only one I know of, and I specifically adked your exact question at my training, was NEVER apply Gelish to a woman who is 6months+ pregnant. Reason being if they need surgery hospital cant/ dont know how to get gelish off and obviously cant monitor nail colour fir warning signs. (sorry on phone hence bad typing!) xx

Apart from the obvious, i would say diabetics

Can you explain why? I understood that as long as we are careful not to cause cuts or abrasions, it was safe to perform nail services on diabetics. Have I got this wrong?

The only one I know of, and I specifically asked your exact question at my training, was NEVER apply Gelish to a woman who is 6 months+ pregnant. Reason being if they need surgery hospital cant/ don't know how to get gelish off and obviously cant monitor nail colour fir warning signs. (sorry on phone hence bad typing!) xx

That's an odd one :D What if any of your clients had an accident and needed emergency treatment? I'm pretty sure the hospital would just slap a sats monitor on you. Never heard of anyone dying because a hospital could not properly treat an emergency patient with enhancements on.

Last edited:
Hmmm I'm curious about the diabetic clients, too. I've always been told the same about the cutting, and to be ultra light with the massaging. As for in/out hospital patients, I've been told that's fine too as long as the doctors or nurses can see the color/state of the nail. There are certain conditions where doctors do look at a patient's nails (psoriasis, liver conditions, cardiovascular conditions, people with iron or zinc deficiencies, ect), but these clients usually can get away with something sheer.

I didnt say u can't perform gelish on diabetics ...i was saying that these people are the ones you have to be more careful with.

I didnt say u can't perform gelish on diabetics ...i was saying that these people are the ones you have to be more careful with.

Ah, gotcha!

Ah the diabetic debate again. My insurance will not cover me unless I have a GPs note if the client is diabetic, regardless of whether they are on tablets, if its injectable insulin or if it is diet controlled. I fully understand why but it is so frustrating fro the client.

The machines we use in hospital to monitor vital signs, both in routine situations as well as emergency situations have a piece that covers the nail. This is to read pulse rate (not difficult to find an alternative, often more reliable source!) But it also reads oxygen sats. If the patient is below safe oxygen levels read by this machine, they will require oxygen therapy. There has been some comments made that any nail coating may alter results.

We also use capillary refill assessment using the nail, to see how circulation is performing. Again, this is in an emergency situation.

I'm due for an advance life support update soon, I will ask the resus instructor specifically about how nail coatings may or may not affect this. Research is changing all the time and each time I update, something new has come in, so I will be interested in what he has to say.

None of us know if we would require emergency care, so I am confused about the six months pregnant and may require treatment part of this thread.

Just a thought, when i had an operation in febuary they had that clip thing to read your stats on both my finger and my toe?! Could they not just do the reading from the toe if they have gelish on there finger nails?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

The machines we use in hospital to monitor vital signs, both in routine situations as well as emergency situations have a piece that covers the nail. This is to read pulse rate (not difficult to find an alternative, often more reliable source!) But it also reads oxygen sats. If the patient is below safe oxygen levels read by this machine, they will require oxygen therapy. There has been some comments made that any nail coating may alter results.

We also use capillary refill assessment using the nail, to see how circulation is performing. Again, this is in an emergency situation.

I'm due for an advance life support update soon, I will ask the resus instructor specifically about how nail coatings may or may not affect this. Research is changing all the time and each time I update, something new has come in, so I will be interested in what he has to say.

None of us know if we would require emergency care, so I am confused about the six months pregnant and may require treatment part of this thread.

Thanks for that - look forward to seeing what the response is. Also, apart from a customer maybe having to be hospitalised are there any medical conditions or medication for which I must not do a gelish treatment?

Thanks for that - look forward to seeing what the response is. Also, apart from a customer maybe having to be hospitalised are there any medical conditions or medication for which I must not do a gelish treatment?[/QUOTE ]

Surelythe majority of this is covered in your manicure course? Any additional ones should be taught on the Gelish course? :wink2:

Can you explain why? I understood that as long as we are careful not to cause cuts or abrasions, it was safe to perform nail services on diabetics. Have I got this wrong?

That's an odd one :D What if any of your clients had an accident and needed emergency treatment? I'm pretty sure the hospital would just slap a sats monitor on you. Never heard of anyone dying because a hospital could not properly treat an emergency patient with enhancements on.

My mum had a heart attack whilst wearing nail enhancements and polish and they put the monitor sideways on her fingers rather than on the nail itself (she was ok btw)

My mum had a heart attack whilst wearing nail enhancements and polish and they put the monitor sideways on her fingers rather than on the nail itself (she was ok btw)

Well that sounds promising. I'm going to call nail Harmony during the week so I can get the actual facts. It wasn't covered in my conversion training but probably should have been.

Thanks everyone.

That makes complete sense. Otherwise, we could not apply enhancements or gel polish to any client just in case they had an accident or emergency :D

Glad your mum is OK, look after her, mums are very precious.

My mum works in the hospital, and She says they can also attach the monitor on top of the ear.

It's in theatre that they can tell oxygen levels by looking at the colour of the nails xxx

Thanks for everyone's advice on this but as there were some conflicting replies I have today called Nail Harmony themselves to ask them exactly when I can and can't do a gelish treatment. Basically no matter what medication or illness a client is on a treatment can still be done. The only reason a treatment should not be done is if there are contra-indications such as fungal infections or nail separation. Pregnant women are not exempt as there are other ways to take readings if they have to be rushed into hospital (as can be the case with anyone at any time).

I have today ordered Marian Newman's book of which I had years ago when I first trained and when I stopped doing nails I sold it (thinking I would never be going back into the world of nails). Will definitely be studying the science behind nails again now!

My mum works in the hospital, and She says they can also attach the monitor on top of the ear.

It's in theatre that they can tell oxygen levels by looking at the colour of the nails xxx

Cheers for that information. So if they are in theatre can they tell the oxygen levels any other way? x

Cheers for that information. So if they are in theatre can they tell the oxygen levels any other way? x

Lol, if you are undergoing surgery and the only way they can tell your oxygen level is by looking at your nail beds - get yourself the hell out of that hospital :biggrin:

Lol, if you are undergoing surgery and the only way they can tell your oxygen level is by looking at your nail beds - get yourself the hell out of that hospital :biggrin:

lmfao :Scared:

Latest posts

Back