underage clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatabeauty

Reaction score
Hi, i've just passed my V.T.C.T. in acrylic nail extensions YAY!, i have a client tomorrow for a full set of acylic nail extensions, but the thing is she's only 11, The mum approached me and said that her daughter has been wanting to have it done for some time, and she was going to go and have them done anyway, but as i'm mobile it's ideal, what shall i do, she's 11 going on 15 to look at, i know thats no excuse but she looks very grown up, and not into football, playing out etc, that would take the tip, as well as her own nail off. is there a lower limit as to what age you'd go to, like i said the mum is more than happy, i just don't want her going to one of these NSS because they are cheap (i'm charging £25.00 for a full set). Morally is it right?

thank you xx

i think this has been covered in a previous thread, where a few geeks said that there was no reason why it couldnt be done, providing both mother and daugter were fully aware of the maintenance (and expense!) invoved, and the consequences of ignoring the necessary maintenance.

Thus making sure that both parties understand that any damage caused to the nail by improper removal or maintenance would be the fault of the client and NOT you!

Personally i prefer not to put extensions on anyone under the age of 16, just because i feel that most 'children' and their parents won;t commit to the required maintenance, and i don't want to be in a situation where i am being blamed for 'ruining' a child's nails...

i know the same scenario can occur with an adult client, but when i explain all of the above to mother and daughter, the parent usually agrees that they do not want to expense and the efffort of bringing their child to 2-weekly maintenance appts.

Just my opinion x

Is it morally right?

All people have different moralls!

I have four-five clients that range from 13 - 15. All their parents rang me to ask and when I performed the treatment the parents signed parental consent forms.

I personally wouldn't let my child have it done until she was about 15 but that is me - everyone is different.

There is a good thread about this on the site...somewhere! I had been asked to do something similar in the past for a 12 and 13 yr old and instead of full enhancements I gave them temporary tips with 2 layers of resin but it was for a special occasion though. I felt if there was any breakages then it wouldn't be as damaging to the nailplate compared to l&p ones plus it's mega quick for soaking off too! It's an alternative! Goodluck with what you decide to do!

i do think that if you dont do it someone else will (and it may be a nss) but i do wonder what these parents are thinking, my daughter is 11 (12 in 2 weeks) and she is a very girly girl and wanted her nails done so i gave her a set of fiberglass overlays (adding no length just strength and protection) and some nail art and she thoought it was the bees knees, i do think sometimes the kids THINK they need a full set to make there nails look great but all they really need is tlc, and a bit of art

whatabeauty said:
Hi, i've just passed my V.T.C.T. in acrylic nail extensions YAY!, i have a client tomorrow for a full set of acylic nail extensions, but the thing is she's only 11, The mum approached me and said that her daughter has been wanting to have it done for some time, and she was going to go and have them done anyway, but as i'm mobile it's ideal, what shall i do, she's 11 going on 15 to look at, i know thats no excuse but she looks very grown up, and not into football, playing out etc, that would take the tip, as well as her own nail off. is there a lower limit as to what age you'd go to, like i said the mum is more than happy, i just don't want her going to one of these NSS because they are cheap (i'm charging £25.00 for a full set). Morally is it right?

thank you xx

Personally, I would not do enhancements on anyone under the age of 16. A friend of mine asked me to do a set of p+w on her daughter who is 10. My answer was no because she is a minor my insurance doesn't cover me. Ok, so a lot of children may look after them in the correct way but remember that they are also more prone to have bumps and falls than an adult which could have a damaging effect should they catch their nails, ending up with permanent damage. Children should be left to grow up as nature intended, they have plenty of years ahead of them to have nail enhancements. Whatever happened to hide and seek....lol.
David

I am with Jaydee on this, as I have said in previous threads, remember they have not finshed developing and can be extremely heavy handed, leave it till they are 16. If they go to an NSS salon so be it, at least you are doing the right thing in my opinion anyway, i am sure others will disagree.

I posted a thread on this a few weeks ago. A friend of mine asked me to put a set on har daughter who is 14. She bites her nails and they hoped this would break the habit. The advice I got was that it was ok to do them once I gave the after care advice and her mother knew what was involved. Well I put them on her last Thursday. I gave the after care advice to her and her mother and sold her a bottle of solar oil. Im going back to check them after a week. I also made them very short so they couldnt catch in anything, but they look longer with the french tip. She was really pleased with them. She has my modile to contact me if there is any problem so she wont be tempted to fix them herself or bite them off.

My g/daughter will be 9 in a few weeks and she is pestering me to do her nails, so we have come to a compromise, I am having her tuesday night and all day on wednesday and I have promised her a pamper day. Mini manicure and pollish / nail art. Hopefully this wil keep her quiet for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back