Underarm cysts and waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne_elizabethhh

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this page and my first post.

I'm newly qualified and had a lady message me asking about underarm waxing. She said she keeps getting cysts under the armpit and has been advised not to shave.
She currently does not have any at present, but I'm very cautious of waxing as I do not want to trigger another cyst. Is there anything anyone would recommend?

Many thanks! 😊

I would think waxing would be contraindicated too. I knew a lady years ago that had cysts on the bikini line and therefore could not wax the area, so she shaved instead.
But if your client cannot shave I don't know what to advise. Could laser be an option or perhaps only use a depilatory cream?

It’s hard to say without knowing this lady’s skin. If it’s a folliculitis type problem good waxing can be an amazing solution.

If they are proper lumpy cysts and she’s had medical advice not to shave I’d suggest asking her medical advisor about waxing. I suspect that what she’s calling cysts are possibly ingrowing hairs. Not shaving would be a recommendation for managing repeated, infected ingrowing hairs. Waxing is a better option for ingrowing hair problems.

I’d advise her to moisturise her skin every night without fail and to let the hair grow through the skin to a length of at least 5 millimetres (1/5 inch to our US friends). Then I’d book her for a consultation and possible patch test.

Have a look at her underarm and if all looks well and the skin isn’t a mess of healing scar tissue AND the consultation history doesn’t include anything alarming such as cysts that needed surgical draining and packing with cotton wool do a patch test in her underarm removing no more than one third of the underarm hair. Wait a few days and see if her skin becomes irritated. If all seems well maybe wax one armpit and wait a month to see if the hair grows through without problems.

I appreciate this doesn’t give her options for now, but that isn’t your concern. You want to be be safe not sorry.

I have 2 clients with the horrible cystic condition hidradenitis suppurativa and both of them cannot get waxed, nor shave because they are really bad.
However the condition can be quiescent for periods of time and they inform me that they then can shave. Hibiscrub is their daily wash solution.
It is a contraindication to waxing unfortunately , so don't be persuaded into doing it. Unless it's as TheDuchess says it is not as severe as my clients' condition.

Thank you so much for your responses, being very new to all of this, I appreciate the advice! 🙂
Was very hesitant to follow through with the waxing treatment, but have responded with the advice given here!

Thank you! 😃 x

Latest posts

Back