Understanding nail tips - refresher

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRL4YOU

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I was a certified nail tech of over 10 years ago, however, I had stopped with nails and began focusing on other areas within the beauty industry. I had just started back up with nails again and it feels like a new learning experience all over again!

I have a few questions on which I’m wanting more advice/education/feedback on these areas. If you guys could all help, that would be great! Or feel free to PM me if you can help!

Some areas I would like more education on:
- Tips VS sculpted nails: which do you prefer and is there one that works better with certain types of nails? Eg: Would sculpting work better if your client absolutely has no nail bed and has super short stubby nails? (Even a form placed on this kind of nail is not able to be tucked underneath a “nail” as she has none. But from my understanding, you can still build from it and may be a better alternative because tips would make the nail even more shorter? Do tips lift easier on a nail like this?

- Nail tips wells: Do you prefer well-less? Do they work better with clients who have not much nail to begin with? What is the proper way to glue these tips on?

- Do Nail tips have a possibility of creating more air pockets in the nail?

- How do you prevent glue unbonding underneath the tips?

- What are the first signs of nail fungus and how do you prevent them?
Thanks everyone!

I prefer sculpting on very short nails as you want the product on as much of the nail plate as possible. A tip will just reduce this further.

I only use well less tips as it reduces the time required for blending. Time is money. Stilettos are great for coffin shapes as you can just snip off the tip and the sides are already tapered saving more time. There are also pinched tips available with a great c curve.

Re air pockets and glue un bonding...I’ve never come across this. The tip should only be applied on the very edge of the free edge.

Fungal infections would be covered in your initial training.

You might find a refresher course or a 1 to 1 training session helpful, particularly if you’re unsure of contraindications as your clients health is of upmost importance.

Latest posts

Back