Unfair Bank Charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette

Reaction score
Just heard on GMTV that the decison is going to be made this thursday. I hope the decision is going to be that the charges are unfair. Just thought Id share the info incase you are like us and have a huge wadge of bank statements with charges from 6 years ago that we are waiting to see if we can claim back.

Just heard on GMTV that the decison is going to be made this thursday. I hope the decision is going to be that the charges are unfair. Just thought Id share the info incase you are like us and have a huge wadge of bank statements with charges from 6 years ago that we are waiting to see if we can claim back.

Really ???.....if thats true i will be rich with the bank charges i have had :green:...let me know what you here please !!

Oooh fingers crossed! I wonder if they do find them unfair will people still have to go through all the rigmarole of having to get their bank statements and itemise everything or if the banks will go through it and do it for them?

I was one of the lucky ones - got mine back because Abbey's Barrister didn't turn up! Woo Hoo!!!! And it was just at the time when they were putting all claims on hold because of the hearing - I'm not usually lucky but that day I certainly was.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear about their charges!

Jackie

My hubby managed to get his in before they changed all of this and he managed to get back nearly £1000 in charges. I didnt get mine in in time.:irked:
My mates brother claimed back over £4500 in charges and got the lot. Nice bonus....
I still have my statements waiting for the result of the haering on thursday. fingers crossed they will rule in the unfair favour.
Jen

lets hope all goes well........... rock on thursday

I still havent had the balls to put my claim in..
I don't know why it just makes me nervous....official people make me scared lol...
Could do with the money though tbh

I applied for my bank charges and got told to get stuffed lol (basicaly)

When i questioned them they told me if i had used my account in the right manner i wouldnt have had to pay the charges in the first place:irked:

I still have my bank statements all locked away in a big brown envelope just waiting for the right time.

Ive now left the bank in question and that black horse can run and hide where the sun dont shine!:lol:

fingers crossed...i love that man.....his website is brill...moneysavingexpert.com he has a forum for tesco codes and all high street shops codes etc........

Me and my hubby are waiting to see if we can get any of ours back too.

we all know the terms and conditions before we sign up for a bank or a credit card - so no-one should expect a refund IMO

i got about £2000 back when i did mine which just goes to show how shocking i am with money pmsl :lol:

we all know the terms and conditions before we sign up for a bank or a credit card - so no-one should expect a refund IMO
I belive the point is,..that the charges are highly unfair..
such as eg...it costs a bank approx £2.50 when a direct debit isn't paid....they then charge upto £50 to the customer..
Thats is the argument here..
Nobody is saying there should be NO charge from what I have gathered so far...But that it needs to be more realistic.

When I made the mistake of getting my bank accounts confused...for one unpaid direct debit of £9.98 I ended up owing the bank over £400
This was because at the time I wasn't in a position to pay much off the balance at the time...The bank agreed for me to pay £5 a week...BUT...every month I hadnt paid the balance in full..I was being charged another £20

As you can see...This ment I wasn't ever paying any off the balance :irked:.
It took a while before they decided to do me the privalige of stopping the £20 per month charge and just allowed me to pay off the balance..

And these cases are not always black and white...
I have had a few places take direct debits out on days they shouldn't have done...I have been charged..
Yes you can take it up with the company...But it never gets you anywhere if your not the type to argue well imo.

Okay I am the world's worst with money and yet I cannot fathom how someone can rack up £4500 of bank charges, that is going some!

However, going rather off topic, I think it is about time the banks behaved more responsibly and stopped throwing credit at everyone ... and it's usually those that can least afford it and get tempted that suffer the most. They get everyone up to their eyes in hock then whack up the interest rates and the whole economy collapses and peoples' lives are shattered. OMG Sass get off that soapbox NOW

Why not?? One of the most basic rules of contract law is that penalty charges cannot be punitive, ie they must reflect the true cost of going overdrawn. Why should banks have the priviledge of ignoring this principle???

I cant remember who said this, but I think it was excellently worded: If someone told you they were going to punch you in the face before they actually did it, would that make it right??? The same principle applies to the bank charges, just because its in the terms & conditions doesnt make it legal, hence the test case that is currently ongoing.

The bank has all my statements on hold until this decision has been made, they stalled me until they was in the position of putting my case on the back burner... I will look forward to Thursday then, will it be on gmtv?

Banks make hundreds out of people every second. The charges are high and unfair! I went overdrawn by 2p, and got charged £35 for that, and £25 for a direct debit that was unpaid! We should get it all back!!!!

Latest posts

Back