Unfriendly Salon staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isis333

Reaction score
Hi all, where do I start?

Well I have been renting a room in a hair salon for a few months now just going in on weekends to start with, the problem is the staff in the hair salon are all related and i dont know if its just me but whenever i go in there is a really frosty atmosphere. I was so looking forward to starting my nail biz but now its got to a point that i hate going in and have not been in for the past couple of weeks. Business is so slow.

I dont want to give it up and was thinking of going mobile just local and pamper parties.

Is going mobile the best option here? Or am i just being paranoid?

Dawn x x:irked:

Hi all, where do I start?

Well I have been renting a room in a hair salon for a few months now just going in on weekends to start with, the problem is the staff in the hair salon are all related and i dont know if its just me but whenever i go in there is a really frosty atmosphere. I was so looking forward to starting my nail biz but now its got to a point that i hate going in and have not been in for the past couple of weeks. Business is so slow.

I dont want to give it up and was thinking of going mobile just local and pamper parties.

Is going mobile the best option here? Or am i just being paranoid?

Dawn x x:irked:
If it were me I would talk to the manager/owner of the salon.It's important to have a good working environment not only for your morale but in order for other staff to recommend your work to the clients.

I hate salons where you have that"atmosphere",but why should you leave after such a short amount of time.You are bound to feel like not going in to work if you feel the atmosphere is so frosty.

Maybe a good night out,all of you together is needed.Keep your chin up and dont give up just yet:hug:

I think its just cos you are new...they have already got to know each other. Groups of girlie's can be quite bitchy but as they get to know you i am sure they will be more friendly.

I used to work in a call centre of mainly women and it got so bitchy, i ended up having breaks with the fella's cos i find them more approachable and less nosey....:lol: x

why are us girls sooooooo bitchy in a group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????:irked: it is horrible,give yourselve a time limit.............say after xmas,if it has not changed go somewhere else or start mobile.if you leave now you would have given up......same time i COULD NOT work in that enviroment..good luck in which ever you do xx

I've been in that situation before being the only therapist/nail tech. If the money is good and you're busy then stuff them and stick it out for as long as poss. If you're not doing too well then look for another premises to rent thats what i did and i love it where i am now- not all salons are bitchy! L x

:lol:not to be the devils advocate here but;

we girls have serious issues with other girls. You are saying that there is an atmosphere - they are probably saying exactly the same thing. When you arrive do you smile and say hello? When you leave do you say goodbye? We tend to think the worst of people and get all embaressed and probably walk in with a face like a slapped bottom and look like a right moody mare.

I agree with the above, maybe ask them to go for a drink or lunch on their day off? If they say no (which i doubt they will) then you can speak to the owner.

The last thing you want is a completly over the top situation where it all becomes ''she said this and she did this''

Hth

Becki xxx

ps. I was in the same situation and am now really good friends with the girls- they were just shy!!

hi dawn, i have been in this situation my self and it is no fun:eek:, i am a very chatty bubbley person, and miss X was the complete oppisite, so at first i thaught hey maybe its because were just very different people,or maybe i just get on her nerves:lol:, any way it got to the point where she would come in to work in the morning and walk straight past me:eek:didnt even say hello,:confused:
so i had it out with her and asked what her problem was,
it seamed to be that i had many more clients than she had, and she didnt like the fact that they prefered to book with me as they found her so unfriendley,i told her a smile and being polite wouldent go a miss with the clients, and then i left with a huge smile on my face:lol:, the problem was she was the boss ;), but i wasent gonna put up with that i dont like been miserable or miserable people very much, so now im on maternity any way but still have my regulars doing the odd mobile work, i love my job and wasent going to let miss X make me feel uncomfortable every day ,so i say get it sorted ASAP and if you carnt,then look for some where else, im sure your gut feeling after a while will help you make the right choice
good luck:hug:

I would go with your gut instinct and do what you feel you'd like to do.

You say business is slow there anyway and you've been there a few months, so what exactly have you got to lose? You've worked hard and were so looking forward to starting your nail business and what have you got instead? A frosty atmosphere, amongst women who you also say are related, so you can never be as "in" together as they are, whatever you do, (not saying the atmosphere is because they are related, but they must share background and history etc which is not necessarily a bad thing but it seems to be in this case) and and I have to say I would find that sort of atmosphere that you describe far too uncomfortable to waste another moment in there. If it's got to the point where you hate going in, it's gone too far imo.

You can do nails. You can do it without them. Get yourself some flyers and other promotional stuff, go it alone mobile or working from home. You can put all your efforts into it. All that negative energy is downright DRAINING. Who needs that? :hug:

it can be very draining

totally agree.

it said in one of the guides on here (think it was selling retail), that when you enter a salon you should be greeted about 3-4 times.
But, how many salons do you know that do that? I've stood at reception whilst some YTS girl completely ignored me and carried on talking on the phone asking the client how her holiday had been, etc,. I stood 5 minutes and she didn't acknowledge me, smile, mouth an apology, nada, so I walked out and left the door wide open to make a point. All the hairdressers kept on hairdressing and I could see them looking at me whilst I waited, but again not one of them acknowledged me. I felt like an alien.

Other hairdressers I've been too have again not acknowledged, and when you are sitting having your hair done, constantly keep up a conversation with their colleagues totally ignoring their clients.

Its so not good practice is it. so is that what you are receiving at the salon, do they keep up a conversation with each other that only they are allowed to participate in.

I always make a fuss of anyone that comes in, and am going to re-read the guide as had good advice.

i go with the "if you aint happy then change it " rule , if its making you miserable hun and the owner / manager isnt offering any support , i would get somewhere else :green:

As Angie says, the most likely reason is that you are in effect "the new girl" ... they'll soon be coming to you when they want their nails done and in return, you can get your hair fixed too.

Hang in there for a bit longer if you can.

I agree, hang in a bit longer, if you move, you will probably just have to start all over again with the "new girl" thing.
Be really pro-active, go and talk to them, and if it looks like they are avoiding eye contact with you, make sure you get theirs and make the beggars speak to you!!!! Aren't us girls a strange breed. Get us on a site like this and we're each others best mates, yet stick us in a salon together and we are a right set of bitches!!!!

Give it another go, make loads of effort, but if its still not working out, shop around for a new place, before you build up a client base where you are.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you :green:

Latest posts

Back