Unhappy client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I've just received a message from a client I did on Tuesday saying that it's only day 2 and already her shellac is coming off on some nails and one has come off completely. She sent me a photo (which I can't attach for some reason) and I did Blackpool so it's quite easy to see - it looks like it worn away on the free edge on middle, pointer fingers and on the inner side of the thumb free edge. I know she is a housework freak and has a bit of an OCD problem in this area so when I finished her nails I gave her an after care leaflet and emphasised the importance of wearing gloves etc and gave her a free pinkie solar oil.

This is my first complaint and I've broken my own rule by saying I would re-do them at no charge. I've explained that it looks like chemical use etc, and she admitted she hasn't been wearing gloves so I'm almost certain it's nothing I've done. Problem is she is a new client, recommended by another client, and she has lots of friends who could become potential clients so I don't want to be in a position where I'm throwing away a good prospect. I've told her I won't charge on this occasion purely because she's never had shellac before and when I'm face to face with her I will better explain that it's a one off and I wouldn't normally offer that.

She is known as a messer and proved this by cancelling and re-arranging 4 appointments with me, sometimes texting half an hour before her time. The more I'm trying to convince myself I've said the right thing the more I'm thinking I haven't ! Well it's said now, perhaps I need to toughen up in the future!

I think you're handling it really well. Lots of people will say you shouldnt have and if you didnt do them for free then you wouldnt be in the wrong, but like you say sometimes that extra mile in customer service pays off if shes valuable for word of mouth. Like you said, make it clear it was her chemical use and she went agaimst your advice and this is a one off and against your policy, but "as its you"... but that if it happens again and she hasnt followed aftercare you wouldnt do another freebie.

Dont worry or overthink xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Deeders I feel for you and I know some will say you are a big softie BUT I think looking at the bigger picture here, I would do exactly the same as you. As you say, when you have her in front of you, you will be able to explain better, but I think for the moment with the new client (pain in the ar5e that she may be) and potential of other spin-offs, you are doing the right thing x

Yea I think you're right, and I do need to stop over analysing it!!! I offered to go round on Monday to put right over an hour ago and she hasn't replied so it's now 10 o clock and my mobile is being turned off!!! Thanks hun xxx

I would and have done the same,i think also its good for them to see your trying to correct something,however you know its her,but looks good on you to do this free service.i have no qarms in redoing something if its not worked, but sometimes some people just cant get on with it,i would say something like,if anyone dosnt get on with it second time round i admit defeat with this product, as it may make her think oh i better look after this set? Dont make anything you say sound like its just for her, it must sound like its a general thing.good luck and send her my way for house work if ya like

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm normally an advocate of charging, but sometimes a free repair and a firm but kind and polite telling off ;) does the trick just as effectively for them not to do it again as opposed to them paying ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

If someone has cancelled/rearranged appointments four times, then I would not be taking their bookings anymore - that is not someone I want as a client, as they will likely continue to do so.

Also, you did explain to her about wearing gloves whilst cleaning and she didn't listen to you.

Personally, I would not be giving her a free set at all. You could well be setting yourself up for real problems with this client in my opinion :)

If someone has cancelled/rearranged appointments four times, then I would not be taking their bookings anymore - that is not someone I want as a client, as they will likely continue to do so.

Also, you did explain to her about wearing gloves whilst cleaning and she didn't listen to you.

Personally, I would not be giving her a free set at all. You could well be setting yourself up for real problems with this client in my opinion :)

This is exactly what I was wrestling with, so I agree wholeheartedly. However, what swung it was the fact that she could bring me lots of potential clients. But rest assured, I am no fool - I will politely, but firmly give her the message that this isn't the norm and its defo a one off, after all, I don't want to be giving out the wrong reputation as a freebie walk over. Some things are best said in person as they can't be misconstrued, so I will wait for my moment!!

and as per the original post, its not a whole new set, deeders said it was worn away on middle and pointer fingers and a thumb. :biggrin:

I think I would have done the same, as a new client a little gesture does your rep good. I've done the same and just have a little joking telling off with them, so that they know your not taking responsibility by doing a freebie.

Xx

When I first had shellac done it came of on some fingers so much I could just peel it of, started with a bubble that started to peel away, turned out the lamp need new bulbs.

OK, so this client is now taking the Mickey and I'm coming to the end of my tether. She has just text me to ask if I can make our 12 o clock appointment today a bit later!!! Here we go again! I've told her Ive got another client booked in for 2pm and unfortunately won't be able to although I could do earlier. She said she'd have to cancel and could I do tomorrow or Wednesday, so I've replied I can do Thursday at 1pm - she's agreed to this. I'm so mad as I've tried to accommodate her (purely for prospective business, I know) but she seems to have no concept of what's happening here. Another client who knows her has told me she is like this all the time, that she is a nightmare to arrange anything with as she continually cancels and rearranges. I have no confidence for Thursday, plus she has booked in again for next Thursday so I now I'm going to go through it all again.

Although I'm willing to fulfil these 2 appointments, cos I've kinda made my own bed, what is the best way forward to sack this client? I will be telling her on Thursday that unfortantely I am unable to run my business in this manner and explain to her how disruptive it is having to rearrange all the time, but I don't feel I can be blunt in telling her I'm not prepared to keep her on as a client. She will instantly tell every man and their dog and I don't want to start getting a bad rep.

When she asks to book her next appt tell her you are fully booked and that if she wishes to have another appt then for her to call/message you on the day.

You will always be fully booked then hopefully she will get the hint.

Im all for customer care etc but if I had clients like that then they would not be having an appt with me whether they will slag my business off or not. I haven't time for divas and the stress they bring.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know what you mean - problem being when I originally did her nails, she booked in with me for next Thursday there and then so she's already in my diary. I've since had to time to think since I typed my rant (!!!!) and I'm thinking I won't be wasting my energy on it all. I will text her the night before as I do with all my clients, and if she starts to mess me about again I will then use the "fully booked" policy and hopefully she will get the message. This way I'm not telling her anything, so she won't have anything to use against me with any potential clients, it will purely be her interpretation of events. What a carry on and purely over one client!! Arghhhhhh :mad:

Another option is to let her know at this appointment that you need her to cancel or move her appointment a minimum of 48 hours before the booking or she will have to pay for the appointment, as you won't be able to fill it at such short notice. If she refuses to pay she has essentially sacked herself.

I had a client like this years ago when I used to work in a salon she was a busy lady so needed to cancel at short notice BUT she understood the consequences for the salon and would pay for her missed appointments and still return. That way if she's not meaning to mess you around she has the option to choose a different place to get her nails done or to pay and return without hard feelings on anyones side. Also you could try keeping a waiting list for any clients who want a particular time and then you can call them up if anyone cancels.

OK, so I went back and re-done her nails last Thursday. When I got there she had no shellac on her nails at all, so I asked what had happened to the rest of the ones that hadn't chipped off and she told me she'd picked them off! So instead of thinking I was only going to redo a few nails, turns out I got a full set to do, so secretly not very happy. I done them again however, through clenched teeth and when I finished, I went through the aftercare she needed to follow and I gave her a free pair of gloves so she had no excuse for not wearing any. Needless to say she was over the moon.

This morning now, I get a message from her saying the same things happened again and sent me photos - funnily enough it's the exact same fingers as the last time but she's adamant she's been wearing her gloves. She says she not picked them, which I'm thinking now is a bit suspect as she did kind of admit to being a picker when I saw her last time. I've told her that we could use brisa smoothing gel to see if this would help maybe strengthen her nails as they are very slightly bendy, but I would be charging her this time. She asked if it's the same gel they use with acrylics because she's had these before lots of times and they've only ever lasted two days before they start coming off!!!

I've told her now that it's up to her how we proceed because she's still booked in with me for her original rebook this Thursday so she's saying that she will cancel this appointment and try to treat her nails with "a conditioner" in order to get them better so she can make the shellac last in the future. I've told her that this was fine and doing the right thing. Lol, I feel so relieved I've kind of "sacked" her but it's funny isn't it, how people don't tell you the whole story on the initial appointment. I've made a mental note to ask more questions in future!!!

Latest posts

Back