Unhappy in job but can never pick up courage to leave!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyct72

Reaction score
I have been working in a beauty salon 4years now. It's my first job in beauty. There is two salons in different locations I get on with everyone in the salon am in and get on with the bosses very well (they would act like a friend more than bosses) which can make it harder to leave.
Everything is getting to me lately though and find myself unhappy. I have built my clientele up from nothing literally. I'm booked everyday am in and know if I was in more days I would be booked also. (Bare in mind no one else be booked as much as me). The list that is getting to me is
- no lunch break some days get 30mins but some days you don't but get 1hr lunch taken off me
- no pay slips half in bank and half cash in hand but claims to be putting me through books and taxes etc.
- girl in other salon is nothing but negative about the salon am in so makes all of us feels bad and look bad
- no appreciation. Work my ass off doing everything I can and never a thank you even when I do things in my own time
- work over time but don't get paid for it, have to take hours back another time but due to having bookings even two weeks in advances makes it hard to even get them back
- can never get days off unless book them months in advances.
- only two staff in my salon including me. Client give out no one answers phone or things aren't in stock even though voice it to the bosses nothing changes
- I have also numerous clients telling me that I'm not appreciated to go out on my own as I would take everyone with me as most clients come there for me.
- also never give enough time for some treatments. Very tight on times on alot of treatments so can never spend perfecting work or giving clients customer service they need/want. Although they may be happy with end results I would always like that bit more time to fix things up with some treatments.

If I was to voice any of these things to my boss she get very defensive and does nothing about any of them. Leaving me back to square one. I do like them as people but not very organised bosses as they aren't qualified in beauty so never understand.
I really duno what to do, I have asked for a day off two months in advanced for my partner graduation and they are saying I can't have it off as another girl off and no cover!!
Any advice much appreciated!!

As to your day off, I'd say you deserve it and having given them 2 months notice I just wouldn't go to work on that day. It's not like you can change the graduation day. Try talking to the other girl and see if she can change her day off.
As to everything else, as it doesn't seem like things are going to get better, I'd leave and start on my own.

Firstly, paying you cash in hand and not enabling you to take your lunch breaks but deducting payment for them is flouting the law. Do they pay you sick pay when you're ill and unable to work?

Stop seeing the bosses as benevolent friendly folk. They're not really your friends because they are greedily taking advantage of your keen professionalism and general good nature. It's their responsibility to maintain adequate staffing levels when staff are off sick or have booked days off.

Either renegotiate your current working arrangements to include proper overtime pay or start looking for a room to rent somewhere else. You sound like you have the experience and work ethic to make a good go of self employment!

You can always speak to ACAS, they will give you advice. Or even CAB xx

Thank you guys for the advice it's really appreciated.
I've a meeting tomoz with a girl who is just starting up to talk to her about job with right conditions or renting a room. All going well it could be the move to happiness. Hardest part would be telling them as I get on great with them all and family but I've to think of me because no one else will..
What's even best way to say it as she never in the salon? Would an email or something be ok? As I know they will talk me into staying and I know I will get upset but don't want that. I would also ring manager in other salon to tell her and email boss.

Last edited:
If you don't get holiday pay and you decide to leave. You are entitled to claim all the holiday pay you haven't received.
This information is from an employment lawyer of mine.

Latest posts

Back